• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining in Las Vegas: Part 1

Nice report, purplewiz! Thank you.

As for Bally's Sunday Brunch, don't bother. You'll get a better deal over at the Wynn or the Bellagio. Save the $60-65/person on a nice dinner over at Daniel Boulud's Brasserie or Rosemary's (way off the Strip).

As for your next trip, if you happen to be in Las Vegas in early May, Bon Appetit is hosting a conference called Vegas Uncork'd. It should be really fun.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

As for Bally's Sunday Brunch, don't bother. You'll get a better deal over at the Wynn or the Bellagio. Save the $60-65/person on a nice dinner over at Daniel Boulud's Brasserie or Rosemary's (way off the Strip).

As for your next trip, if you happen to be in Las Vegas in early May, Bon Appetit is hosting a conference called Vegas Uncork'd. It should be really fun.

Scored a ticket for the Thursday night event at Uncork'd, sounded like fun!

Great Report-Thanks. As you've seen first hand, there are so many dining choices in Las Vegas you simply can't cover even a fraction of them in one trip.

I've got a thread going about Vegas Uncork'd and if you would be so kind to give us a report, and maybe some photos, after you get back from Vegas Uncork'd, please post it over there. Which "Masters' Series" Dinner did you book on Thursday night?

Great Report-Thanks. As you've seen first hand, there are so many dining choices in Las Vegas you simply can't cover even a fraction of them in one trip.

I've got a thread going about Vegas Uncork'd and if you would be so kind to give us a report, and maybe some photos, after you get back from Vegas Uncork'd, please post it over there. Which "Masters' Series" Dinner did you book on Thursday night?

Will be dining at Bradly Ogden on Thursday night. Will be nice seeing Russell again, we had the chance to dine together in January at Guy Savoy's, it was a very nice experience.

I was in Las Vegas for the first time for less than 24 hrs.

Had the Degustion menu with several other plates at Atelier de Joel Robuchon.

The meal was outstanding and just as delicious as in NYC. Best was a deep fried egg with soubise onions topped with salmon roe, and a moussline of asparagus.

If I ever re-visit Las Vegas, I'll have to try the restaurant.

Has anyone been to either of the Mario Batali restaurants in the Ventetian / Palazzo? Heading to LV at the end of April and thinking about trying one out.

Also on the list is In n Out Burger, cocktails at the Peppermill for the old school vibe, breakfast at Bouchon, and the 9 steakhouse at the Palms (because we will be there for a concert).

Has anyone been to either of the Mario Batali restaurants in the Ventetian / Palazzo?  Heading to LV at the end of April and thinking about trying one out.

Also on the list is In n Out Burger, cocktails at the Peppermill for the old school vibe, breakfast at Bouchon, and the 9 steakhouse at the Palms (because we will be there for a concert).

I haven't been to the Batali places yet, but from what I have heard from people I know that live in Las Vegas and are "in the know" about the restaurant scene-the reviews for B & B at The Venetian have been mixed-mainly uneven service-but the early reviews for Carnevino at The Palazzo have been good.

The prices for the steaks at Carnevino are pretty high, so if that is your choice, be prepared to pay big bucks.

You might want to consider Wolfgang Puck's "CUT" at The Palazzo. One of my employees had dinner there last week and she said it was the best steak she had ever had. She also said the service was quite exceptional. The reviews I've seen so far give CUT a very high rating.

I'll be in town for a week in early May and our party is planning a dinner at CUT.

g-man, I've been to B&B at the Venetian. The food is pretty good and the music is definitely ... rock and roll, just the way Mario likes it.

I haven't been to Carnevino. Talking with a friend who lives in the Las Vegas area and has been to both places, he recommends B&B. He said the steak at Carenvino is fine, but the other things, not so much. And Carnevino is quite expensive, even for Las Vegas. David, are we talking to the same people? Shh, don't answer ... :wink::wink:

If you're going to a steakhouse already at the Palms, I suggest that you go to B&B to have some Italian cuisine.

My wife and I just got back from an eating trip Vegas - try $2000 in 3 days. For a steak dinner we actually went to Prime in The Bellagio. At the Pallazzo we had lunch at Morels. We had the Seafood tower and it was absolutely awesome sitting outside on a gorgeous day people way\tching. I'll write more when I get a chance.

I want food and I want it now

My wife and I just got back from an eating trip Vegas - try $2000 in 3 days.

Pardon me, did that include snacks??

I went to Prime a few years ago and enjoyed the steak there. I hope your dining experience was wonderful.

And did you have any of the cheeses over at Morels? I got a chance to look at the place (didn't eat there) during its first weekend and the cheeses looked impressive.

I'm looking forward to hearing your culinary report. I'll be going to Las Vegas in May for a Bon Appetit conference.

Has anyone been to either of the Mario Batali restaurants in the Ventetian / Palazzo?  Heading to LV at the end of April and thinking about trying one out.

The Peppermill is a fun time, but Bouchon was a real let down for me. My friend got the Croque Monsieur. Fries (these weren't frites) were strictly Pegler Sysco and the sandwich was unremarkable. Bland sauce, weak ham.

I asked the server to recommend something and she told me they were famous for the apple bread pudding. Uh huh. The serving was miniscule and redefined "bland." Texture and presentation were great, but overpriced and disappointing.

I just got back from Vegas and had a stunning good meal at Craftsteak we did the Kobe tasting. WOW!

Also has dinner at Shibuya which was good but no way on the same level as Craftsteak.

Both are at the MGM Grand.

I also had dinner at Noodles at Bellagio, the food was mediorce and service sucked!

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Flying out on Friday. The Cdn dollar is in nice shape vis a vis the greenback, so I will be living large. The itinerary is revised to dinners at B&B, Morel's and Lotus of Siam, breakfast at Lou's Diner on Decatur. And the Peppermill. We're renting a Mustang, which is not much more money than taking a few taxi rides so we will be mobile. A trip to BBQ Galore and Lee's Discount Liquor may be in order.

Flying out on Friday.  The Cdn dollar is in nice shape vis a vis the greenback, so I will be living large.  The itinerary is revised to dinners at B&B, Morel's and Lotus of Siam, breakfast at Lou's Diner on Decatur.  And the Peppermill.    We're renting a Mustang, which is not much more money than taking a few taxi rides so we will be mobile.  A trip to BBQ Galore and Lee's Discount Liquor may be in order.

Good on you, g-man!

As for bbq, you might want to consider Memphis Championship Barbecue. And if you're more interested in wines, try Valley Cheese and Wine. And since you will be mobile, Rosemary's Restaurant is worth an excursion.

Enjoy your time in Las Vegas!

and Lee's Discount Liquor may be in order.

as a so-called "alcoholic", I find the cheapest alcohol is at South Point. But their selection is miniscule. Second cheapest is The Orleans and Sunset, with the Orleans having more stuff.

But for "connoisseurs," the above won't have anything you'll drink. Lee's has a decent quantity of stuff, but I find them so expensive! I've seen them selling stuff for $17 that the other places have $9!

If you're going more for the experience than to buy, see if you can get a tour of Southern wine and spirits instead. Can't buy anything, but touring all the booze is definitely happy fun time!

Flying out on Friday. The Cdn dollar is in nice shape vis a vis the greenback, so I will be living large. The itinerary is revised to dinners at B&B, Morel's and Lotus of Siam, breakfast at Lou's Diner on Decatur. And the Peppermill. We're renting a Mustang, which is not much more money than taking a few taxi rides so we will be mobile. A trip to BBQ Galore and Lee's Discount Liquor may be in order.

Let us know how B&B is, please! I'm doing a weight loss challenge thru my local Gold's Gym-they're giving a trip to Vegas for the winner, and I'm down 30 lbs half way, which means I keep it up and I get to go back to Vegas sooner than expected. So I can go to B&B. Ironic, isn't it?

B&B was pretty good, the servers told us that the menu is "peasant" style, not sure what that means but there are some very different cuts of meat on the menu. We tried lamb's tongue. To be honest, for Italian, we were really impressed by Bartollota at the Wynn. We had an amazing meal there last year.

Lotus of Siam was great, and much easier on the pocketbook than the strip.

Thanks for all your recs.

Anyone been to Bradley Ogden lately?

I was there back in Aug. 2007. My dinner was really good. FYI Bryan Ogden (the son) is leaving LV to go to Southern California. I'm going to try and find out more details where.

Five more days until Bon Appetit's "Vegas Uncork'd" conference .. I can't wait :smile::smile:

I was there back in Aug. 2007. My dinner was really good. FYI Bryan Ogden (the son) is leaving LV to go to Southern California. I'm going to try and find out more details where.

Five more days until Bon Appetit's "Vegas Uncork'd" conference .. I can't wait :smile::smile:

Anything you find out about that would be great. Especially if he's leaving soon, cause I expect to be there in July. I assume Bradley Ogden would be staying.

Anything you find out about that would be great. Especially if he's leaving soon, cause I expect to be there in July. I assume Bradley Ogden would be staying.

Will be there on Thursday night, looking forward to good eats!!!

• 1 month later...
Anyone been to Rao's at Caesars Palace?

I haven't been there, but if you are looking for superb, authentic Italian cuisine, you might want to consider Valentino over at The Venetian. There is a bar and more casual cafe out front-the fine dining room is in the back. It doesn't get as much press as some of the newer places but it should-it's wonderful.

Anyone been to Rao's at Caesars Palace?

I haven't been there, but if you are looking for superb, authentic Italian cuisine, you might want to consider Valentino over at The Venetian. There is a bar and more casual cafe out front-the fine dining room is in the back. It doesn't get as much press as some of the newer places but it should-it's wonderful.

Thanks for the tip. I'll be going to Las Vegas in two weeks. One friend was thinking of Italian one night. He says he likes Italian that's heavy on the red sauce. I suggested he look at the menu for B&B, as it's a place I was interested in. He took a look at the menu and it didn't appeal to him.

He found some other place at venetian, Canaletto. Then suggested Rao's. I think he wants to go there since the one in NYC is supposedly impossible to get into. Personally, I would prefer something other than heavy red sauced American Italian food. I'll suggest Valentino.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"