• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining in Las Vegas: Part 1

What's the story on a good buffet for Sunday Brunch?

Bellagio or Wynn?  Or some other place?  (did Spice Market at Aladdin two years ago and thought it was so-so)

I would avoid Spice Market. It still gets some good reviews, but I haven't had good experiences there.

I was very disappointed in the buffet at Bellagio in May. There is still quality and creativity in the dishes, but it has fallen a notch from its formerly good quality. Some of the meats were overcooked and the cold shrimp were watery and tasteless. On the other hand, I thought the Sunday brunch at the Wynn buffet was even better this year. Smaller selection than Bellagio but the quality of the cooking was much better.

I would really like to do Guy Savoy but am feeling apprehensive about the cost (we are not just spending money on food... there are show tickets, gambling, drinking, and spa treatments to be paid for). I know there's a cheaper TGV menu, but how much are the other tasting menus?

I viewed the menus and prices at a few other places while I was in Las Vegas in May. I remember the tasting menu at Alex at the Wynn was about $175 without wines, the tasting menu at Michael Mina (seafood) at Bellagio was in the same range as was the tasting menu at Picasso at Bellagio. Of course if you add in the wines that are paired with each course it raises the ante by up to $75 or so.

You might want to try Bradley Ogden at Caesar's. I think you could have an appetizer, entree, dessert and a few glasses of wine for around $125.

One drawback to Las Vegas is that the fine dining restaurants have all gotten very expensive.

I should clarify my question -- how much are the tasting menus at Guy Savoy? Thanks David!

More than 2 years ago, I had my best buffet experience at Bally's sterling brunch - not sure whether they still have it. The menu includes free flow of champagne, evian water, lobster, crab legs and some middle-quality caviars. The cost last time was about USD 60 I think before tips and tax. The desserts are also quite good - loved the big and sweet chocolate-dipped strawberry.

I would really like to do Guy Savoy but am feeling apprehensive about the cost (we are not just spending money on food... there are show tickets, gambling, drinking, and spa treatments to be paid for). I know there's a cheaper TGV menu, but how much are the other tasting menus?

I viewed the menus and prices at a few other places while I was in Las Vegas in May. I remember the tasting menu at Alex at the Wynn was about $175 without wines, the tasting menu at Michael Mina (seafood) at Bellagio was in the same range as was the tasting menu at Picasso at Bellagio. Of course if you add in the wines that are paired with each course it raises the ante by up to $75 or so.

You might want to try Bradley Ogden at Caesar's. I think you could have an appetizer, entree, dessert and a few glasses of wine for around $125.

One drawback to Las Vegas is that the fine dining restaurants have all gotten very expensive.

I should clarify my question -- how much are the tasting menus at Guy Savoy? Thanks David!

I just found this forum and am excited to participate. As an introduction, I have had meals in 14 3 star establishments starting in 1984 at Girardet when I was still in my 20's. Many of my trips evolve around where I eat. Money and value do matter to me because I have a budget but when I go to Vegas I will spend it at restaurants instead of the tables. I have been to Vegas over 20 times so here are some of my thoughts.

In the old days you would go to a steak house or when the Forum shops opened Spago was about as good as thing could get. When Bellagio opened Michael Mina/Aqua and Picasso became my favorites along with Renoir at the Mirage. I loved seafood and would do a tasting menu with Mina every time. Picasso also was a good value, especially with the wine parings. Renoir was great as well but now that Alex Strata has his own place at the Wynn it is less formal and the entire experience has moved up a notch.

Now that there are over 20 super star chefs there are choices to be made and these discussion threads sure help. I especially like the detailed photos some posters use in their reviews. Between the words and photos, we certainly can get an exact idea of what the experience might be like. Here are brief summaries of some places I have been.

Robuchon--Freddy Girardet and Joel Robuchon in many peoples minds had battled it out for best chef in the world that last 25 years. Since I had been to Girardet, I was anxious to try Robuchon. So last year I made it to the Mansion. My dining partner was not so much a foodie so we tried the smaller tasting menue when it was $165 and 9 courses instead of the six courses they do now with the smaller menu. I thought the setting and decor was elegant and inviting. The food and service was great and we were treated the same as other diners who were having everything including a table of eight food writers nearby. It was formal but not stuffy service, which is the case in many three star places but they were were even helpful in substituiting a dish in the smaller menu we ordered. It was an outstanding meal and I would certainly go there again. The thing I like about here and some of the very best tasting menus is just seeing what they do with ingredieants, flavours, textures and combinations.

Guy Savoy--He was just getting ready to open two months after I was in Vegas last so I am going Wednesday night. My trip is to Vegas is June 25-30 and I expect Savoy to be the hilight and I am very excited to visit Savoy. I will be going for the full expensive menu but will not go crazy on the wines. I hope to get out of there for around $1,000 includiong wine and tip for two. I had to ask myself if I was willing to spend a grand for a meal. Well that seems to be the price of doing business now in the great restaurants of the world, so I am going for it. I want to see what Savoy can do so I am going for the full experience. But I would not hesitate to order the $190 menu because you would still get a great experience and those dishes are some of his most famous ones. But to justify the extra money I told myself it was really just another hundred a person to do all the way. I will report back with my obeservations after I dine there.

Alex--I mentioned I loved his food when he was cooking at Renior but it is even better now that he is at the Wynn. I ranked the meal I had there very close to Robuchon. It is a huge room with the "Hello Dolly" staircase going from the bar/reception area down into the dining room. The night I was there, Martha Stewart was there for dinner and also was filming all over the restaurant for her show.

I loved the tasting menu and the wines that went with it, which now is $325 plus tip so if you gop all the way at Alex it is almost as expensive as Savoy and Robuchon.

It is worth the moeny but I am only going to do one meal a trip that approaches 1,000 and this time its Savoy,

The above three restaurants I call break the bank and will retun to all three but still like:

Picasso--A great value for food and a wonderful location by the fountains at Bellagio. If you are on a budget and wand a five star experience, I suggest this place. You can get the $105 menu, a glass of wine and not break the bank. This is three star food and many considered it the best restaurant until Savoy and Robuchon showd up in Vegas. Go there beforfe they raise the prices in line with the other guys.

Michael Mina--I love the seafood tasting munus and have dined there over a dozen times. It is a good value and what he does with seafood blows my mind. As a bonus it is right next to the conservatory gardens at the Bellagio.You can not go wrong here.

L'Atelier--Plan to go there this trip. I am excited about tryingas many Robuchon tastes as possible so will go for the tasting menu. If I had unlimited money I would go to the Robuchon Mansion again but I feel there is value in this tasting menu while still eating cutting edge food.

Daniel Boulud--Have not been to the Vagas location but had a incredible meal at his more formal restaurant in New York. We had a tasting menu of 10 courses but when I told them I wanted to try as many things as possbile they brought us each nine different things so we got to taste 19 different items. Best tasting meal I have ever had! But the Vegas outpost is the Bistro version which is totally different. I would have no hesitation eating here for the bistro experience except for I am used to Bouchon.

Bouchon--We stay at the Venetian and there is nothing better than walking a few paces out of your room for breakfast at Bouchon. It is about as perfect as a breakfast can get. I had had oysters in the afternoon and the evening meal once but to me this is an oysters/breakfast place. The decor is out of a movie set for "french bistro" and a very nice place to start the day.

So where will I eat this week?

Already booked are Savoy, Picasso and L'Atelier. I may go to Mina again but has anyone been to RM Seafood at Mandalay? How would you compare the two?

I see David Bruce has opened at the Venetian and he has an very ambitious menu you can see on the Venetian site. Does anybody know much about him?

Well I have spent hours reading this forum this week and am totally ready to get to Vegas and start eating!!

$190 for four courses and $290 for ten the last time I checked.

I just checked prices today with the respective restaurants and those still hold. L'Atelier is $135. Alex is at $195.

More than 2 years ago, I had my best buffet experience at Bally's sterling brunch - not sure whether they still have it. The menu includes free flow of champagne, evian water, lobster, crab legs and some middle-quality caviars. The cost last time was about USD 60 I think before tips and tax. The desserts are also quite good - loved the big and sweet chocolate-dipped strawberry.

Bally's is now $65. The whole experience is so absurd, I love it.

In other news I'll be in Vegas for a couple days in mid-August (unfortunately not on a Sunday), just a couple weeks after my 21st. The trip could undoubtedly be financially disastrous given me soon-to-be bestowed right to gamble and drink freely. I'm thinking about meals and would like to pose the following hypothetical:

If the tasting menu at Guy Savoy is ten courses and $290, then we reach an average cost per plate of $29. At Robuchon one receives sixteen courses for $350 at an average of $22 per plate. In this way, Robuchon is the better value on a per plate basis. It's also over 20% more expensive than Savoy. There's clearly no clear winner.

Then there's the option of downgrading to something like Alex. But I figure for $195 for the tasting menu there, I could do a Tour at Alinea or eat pretty much anywhere in NYC. I'm not so sure that Alex will be as good as Alinea or be significantly different or better than the big players in NYC.

So, if I'm in Vegas already and the plane ticket is a sunk cost, I might as well go to Savoy or Robuchon--this is the bizzare way in which my mind works--but the question is which.

I've read all the reports but can't determine a clear winner. Again, if I'm there I might as well go big with sixteen courses at Robuchon. Then again, Savoy seems to be marginally better regarded.

Advice?

P.S. To further confound the issue I can probably do the tasting menu at L'Atelier on someone else's dime, making a full meal at Robuchon proper seemingly redundant. I probably can't get said funding to pay for the TGV at Savoy (and if I could I might just go to Alex for $5 more) to then go for the full meal at Robuchon the next day.

Decisions. Decisions.

Oh, and how long in advance do I have to book these Savoy or Robuchon?

ETA: Doing the tasting a L'Atelier represents a significant value proposition for me because I'm from the NYC area and the same meal runs $175ish at the NYC L'Atelier outpost. This could be seen as further motivation to do the Savoy big meal and the L'Atelier discovery menu

Edited by BryanZ (log)

Bryan,

It took till my mid 20's to get on the three star road so it is exciting to see you are on your journey earlier. And since you have been to such places like Pierre Gagnaire and L'Astranie I am sure you want to see if there as places that can equal or surpass those experiences.

And realizing your budget factor here are my thoughts. Get to both Savoy and Robuchon. If you can get your tab paid at L'Atelier, by all means do that because you still can try those 10 Joel dishes and it is a more fun place than a formal one. I have been to the formal restaurant next door and the experience was great but not worth three times the L'Atelier price.

Then get to Savoy for what you can afford, either the TGV or the bigger menu. I say forget a couple of blackjack hands and try the big menu there. Savoy is as about cutting edge as you can find now.

Your research about Alex is good. He is almost there as an enjoyable experience but the tasting menu with wine is $325.I have had the tasting menu there once but would rather go to Savoy and Robuchon if it was my first time in Vegas.

A very big bargin is the Picasso meal and wine parings. I have dined there a half dozen times with excellent results

Thanks for the advice. I'm telling myself that a couple hands of blackjack will help make up the difference between the TGV and the full tasting menu at Savoy. Of course, the opposite will probably be true, but this is where I'll fool myself into youthful naivete.

I've been to a few of Las Vegas' older crop of good restaurants like Picasso because I was there a couple times few years ago right before the Wynn upped the ante and Savoy/Robuchon came to town.

Any idea on how far ahead these places book up?

Bryan,

First, have a wonderful twenty-first birthday!! Just keep things safe, legal and in Las Vegas. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I say go all out at Guy Savoy and have someone else pick up the tab over at L'Atelier. With L'Atelier, the focus is definitely on the food. With Guy Savoy, you get an overall dining experience.

Make your reservations now, Bryan. It's possible that these restaurants may be closed during August. You know how the French can be about their vacations in August ...

hemingway, welcome to eGullet Las Vegas, mon!!

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

If only I knew how to play. Seriously, this short trip could end me, simultaneously crushing my soul and meager bank account. I've found a pretty good deal on a nice room at Caesar's Palace and may try the infamous "$20 trick" discussed at length on FatWallet.com. I think this lodging setup will work well for me because I'll be eating at Savoy, conveniently located at Caesar's. I'll also have the option to check out the Wynn and the eats there because I'll be spending one night there with my mother who will be in town for business meetings.

So, I think the high-end dining plan looks like L'Atelier for dinner one night, then Savoy the next. I'm also trying to fit in a tasting menu at Wing Lei perhaps on my final evening. As is being discussed in a concurrent thread, however, there seems to a certain lack of appealing lunch options on the strip that really distinguish themselves. If I rent a beater rental car I may try to make the pilgrimage out to LoS. We shall see.

As is being discussed in a concurrent thread, however, there seems to a certain lack of appealing lunch options on the strip that really distinguish themselves.  If I rent a beater rental car I may try to make the pilgrimage out to LoS.  We shall see.

Bryan, un momento, por favor!!

Lotus of Siam is less than one mile east from the Sahara Hotel on Sahara Blvd., between the Strip (Las Vegas Blvd.) and Maryland Parkway, at the intersection of Sahara Blvd. (south side) and Commercial Center Drive. You can walk less than a mile from the Sahara Hotel to Lotus of Siam. Mind you, there are buses and a monorail that can drop you off at the Sahara Hotel.

What a visual! Bryan, walking across the Sahara, in the heat of summer, for some Thai food.

Lotus of Siam website

953 E. Sahara Ave., Las Vegas, NV 89104

(3/4 East of Sahara Hotel)

Tel. (702) 735-3033

• 4 weeks later...
What a visual! Bryan, walking across the Sahara, in the heat of summer, for some Thai food.

Sorry to be a Negative Nancy, but I really don't recommend doing that. It's too damn hot during the day, and too damn dangerous at night. That place is a serious hole, and walking around that area alone is a bad idea.

I don't recommend taking a cab there either. It's too expensive, and I think the food is overrated. I used to eat there several times a week with my friends back when I was in dealing school (it's in the same complex), and it can be scary good, but it can also be scary below average. For the price of the restaurant, the lack of consistency I think makes it not worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

I am planning trip to Vegas - it has been quite a few years since I have been there. Can anyone recommend a decent dining places? Since there are thousands if not millions restaurants and buffets - how to choose? I am staying ath the MGM and so the Strip area is of interest. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Pacific Rim Grille,

I'll being starting my Las Vegas vacation in about 21 hours ... and counting ...

Full report and some photos, if my camera and I don't melt in the heat ...

First, some questions: What kind of cuisine? French? Italian? New American? How much do you want to pay per person? Low-end? Fine dining? By yourself and/or with a group/family?

At MGM, there are two Robuchon restaurants (L'Atelier & Robuchon at the Mansion). Shibuya has pretty good sushi.

Check out some of the other Las Vegas threads as an introduction. Enjoy!!

I am planning trip to Vegas - it has been quite a few years since I have been there. Can anyone recommend a decent dining places? Since there are thousands if not millions restaurants and buffets - how to choose? I am staying ath the MGM and so the Strip area is of interest. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Fiamma at MGM was very good, but after seeing the thread here about B&B ristorante, I'd take the cab ride over to Venetian, wow!! That food just looks good!

Nobhill at MGM is good, cool atmosphere...whatever you do, you MUST at least stop at the bar at Nobhill and have a Mojito! Best mixed drink I've ever had!

Mandalay is very close-across the street over bridges to Excalibur then hop the tram to Mandalay. I've heard many good things about Fleur De Lys.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just there a couple of weeks ago and went to Michael Mina, Craftsteak, and Noodle.

I honestly felt that my meal at Michael Mina was just ok. The service was fine, but all of our food was cold and the famous lobster pot pie was over-salted. Desserts were very nice though. I have to say it was several levels below my experience at the SF location.

I loved my meal at Craftsteak. The menu is so well thought out. I had the braised veal breast, shaved fennel salad, and roasted hen of the woods mushrooms. Probably one of my favorite steakhouses in the U.S.

Noodle is a good bet for a light lunch, but it is nothing out of this world. Still a nice spot for pan-Asian food if you need a bowl of some noodle soup or some dim sum.

Edited by The Blissful Glutton (log)

• 3 weeks later...

I will be in vegas for one month surgery rotation starting this friday. This is my first time going to vegas. While I have followed this board for awhile and am looking forward to trying many of the restaurants mentioned. Most of those discussed are high end and I will not have the time nor the money to dine at them all.

This friday I will be eating at wing lei - any thoughts on which tasting menu is currently the best/authentic/original?

saturday I am wavering between a res at fleur de lys or l'atelier

I am also looking forward to trying bouchon and lotus of siam

However, I would appreciate some recommendations on the more local eateries that may be a bit more budget friendly and not necessarily in buffet style. For instance, where is the best cheap chinese, thai(lotus apparently), japanese, mexican, etc. I look forward to reading and hopefully soon experiencing your recommendations. THank you

I will be in vegas for one month surgery rotation starting this friday.  This is my first time going to vegas.  While I have followed this board for awhile and am looking forward to trying many of the restaurants mentioned.  Most of those discussed are high end and I will not have the time nor the money to dine at them all.

This friday I will be eating at wing lei - any thoughts on which tasting menu is currently the best/authentic/original?

However, I would appreciate some recommendations on the more local eateries that may be a bit more budget friendly and not necessarily in buffet style.  For instance, where is the best cheap chinese, thai(lotus apparently), japanese, mexican, etc.  I look forward to reading and hopefully soon experiencing your recommendations.  THank you

Boy, I am jealous, I would eat too well if I spent a month in Las Vegas.

A tip would be to call Wing Lei ahead of time. Tell them you will be there on Friday and give them your name and reservation time. Mention that you would like the 'seasonal' tasting menu if they are offering it. The seasonal tasting menu would be more unique than say the Peking Duck tasting menu. I contacted the restaurant prior to my dinner in May and requested a seasonal tasting menu and they were more than happy to oblige. I was served a menu not printed and offered to other diners.

Fleur de Lys is a different dining experience than L'Atelier. Fleur de Lys would be more formal in terms on sit-down tableside service. What is fun about L'Atelier is sitting at the counter and watching the chefs create your dishes. So choose between the two based on what kind of experience you are looking for. The cooking at both is good, but at L'Atelier you'll get many more small courses for the money.

I'd try Bouchon but only for breakfast. It is a beautiful setting to have breakfast with fresh pastries out on the patio.

Check out some of the different threads about the restaurants in Las Vegas, there are lots of great comments from your fellow egullet foodies.

I'm not too good with the local restaurants but there are plenty of others who can chime in on that. Have a great time, (when you aren't working). You are going to a great, great, restaurant city.

I will be in vegas for one month surgery rotation starting this friday.  This is my first time going to vegas.  While I have followed this board for awhile and am looking forward to trying many of the restaurants mentioned.  Most of those discussed are high end and I will not have the time nor the money to dine at them all.

However, I would appreciate some recommendations on the more local eateries that may be a bit more budget friendly and not necessarily in buffet style.  For instance, where is the best cheap chinese, thai(lotus apparently), japanese, mexican, etc.  I look forward to reading and hopefully soon experiencing your recommendations.  THank you

Imho, I'd choose Fleur de Lys because I've heard good things about both, but would prefer the more comfortable surroundings and style of service.

You should also add Bradley Ogden to your list. Food is fantastic, relaxed setting, some of the best presentation I have ever seen! Rjwong was at Bradley Ogden recently.

• 3 months later...
...<respectfully snipped> ....There are other fine dining restaurants that offer three course menus for around $40.

My fiancee and I will be getting married in Vegas this January ('08). Thus far we have reservations at L'Atelier and Picasso with an eye toward Wing Lei and Bouchon for breakfast. Any recommendations as to which fine dining establishments offer 3 courses for around $40.00?

jbzepol,

Congratulations to you and your fiancee!! Will Elvis be at your wedding? Huh, back to dining ... :hmmm::hmmm:

It's only a quick check, but the closest thing I could find was a three-course prix fixe menu at Boulud for $48, if you dine before 7:00 p.m. You might want to check Sensi or Fix, both at the Bellagio. Let me get back with you on that.

By the way, I'll be in Las Vegas in January as well, during the MLK weekend. If you wish, we can say "hello." Anyways, enjoy your time in Las Vegas!!

And Elrushbo, you are correct: rjwong was at Bradley Ogden back in Aug. And I recommend that restaurant.

...<respectfully snipped> ....There are other fine dining restaurants that offer three course menus for around $40.

My fiancee and I will be getting married in Vegas this January ('08). Thus far we have reservations at L'Atelier and Picasso with an eye toward Wing Lei and Bouchon for breakfast. Any recommendations as to which fine dining establishments offer 3 courses for around $40.00?

jbzepol,

Congratulations to you and your fiancee!! Will Elvis be at your wedding? Huh, back to dining ... :hmmm::hmmm:

It's only a quick check, but the closest thing I could find was a three-course prix fixe menu at Boulud for $48, if you dine before 7:00 p.m. You might want to check Sensi or Fix, both at the Bellagio. Let me get back with you on that.

By the way, I'll be in Las Vegas in January as well, during the MLK weekend. If you wish, we can say "hello." Anyways, enjoy your time in Las Vegas!!

And Elrushbo, you are correct: rjwong was at Bradley Ogden back in Aug. And I recommend that restaurant.

Thanks for the kind sentiment rjwong (and to Bryan Z for responding on the other thread)-- can't say we'll have the pleasure of "The King" at our ceremony :laugh:

"Back to dining" indeed...Boulud...how could I not think of it. :shock: I just assumed it would be more expensive. I ran across ElRushbo's post...so I just had to ask. We're also looking forward to Heaven Incarnate at Jean Philippe. :biggrin:

No worries on getting back to me on Sensi or Fix...I'll Google them after I post. It would be very cool to meet for lunch or something; however we are slated to be there in early January. Next time though absolutely (oh yes...there shall be a next time in Vegas...oh yes)

Meanwhile the next time you're in my neck of the woods (Florida) send me a quick note. Enjoy your time in Vegas also! Thanks again! :biggrin:

Eat Well,

-jbl

The Postmodern Soapbox - NominalTopic.blogspot.com

Twitter: jbzepol

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in charge of picking a restaurant in Las Vegas for 12 of us co-workers. We have a budget of $100 per person, including tax and tip (not including alcohol, which we have to purchase individually and pay for separately).

We are a diverse group, so a restaurant that has a variety of dishes would best appeal to everyone.

If it's located in a casino so people can go right into gambling after dinner, all the better.

I'd appreciate any help. I haven't been to Vegas in 30 years, so am totally out of touch with the eating scene there.

Greg

Edited by gperls (log)

I'm in charge of picking a restaurant in Las Vegas for 12 of us co-workers. We have a budget of $100 per person, including tax and tip (not including alcohol, which we have to purchase individually and pay for separately).

We are a diverse group, so a restaurant that has a variety of dishes would best appeal to everyone.

If it's located in a casino so people can go right into gambling after dinner, all the better.

I'd appreciate any help. I haven't been to Vegas in 30 years, so am totally out of touch with the eating scene there.

Greg

check out Sensi at the Bellagio...wide variety of cuisine...Ducasse complimented that chef as one to watch

Eliot Wexler aka "Molto E"

MoltoE@restaurantnoca.com