• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sexiest food scenes on film

Gifted Gourmet

Last Tango In Paris.  'nuff said.  Unless to ask....  was it Plugra?

I was reminded of the motto printed on the little pats of butter we had in my college cafeteria, "It's better with Butter!" :laugh:

Edited by FunJohnny (log)

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

i remember a movie (but not the name) with a fisherman his wife, and some hustler i think.  anyway the hustler starts sleeping with the wife and there's lots of caressing of fish filets.  (reminiscent of your article GG).   in any case, i'm pretty sure it was an american movie.

The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea ???

nope - it was an early to mid-90s flick actually. i can't for the life of me remember who was in it tho.

I believe the wife was played by Maria Conchita Alonzo. As for the men, I guess I didn't pay that much attention. :biggrin: My recollection was that it wasn't so much a hustler as a young guy who sort of got unofficially adopted by the husband who was teaching him the business and the wife.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Sexiest from recent memory is the passing of an unbroken egg yolk from mouth to mouth in Tampopo.  From the same movie, the intriguingly deviant upturned bowl of live, vigorously wriggling tiger prawns and liquor (cognac?) on the woman's belly.  :huh:  :wacko:  :huh:

I believe that the liquor is sake, and that the shimp are meant to die from alcohol poisoning and then be eaten sashimi-style with the ingestested sake flavoring them.

I would assume, from having a similar dish with prawns in Tokyo, in less stimulating circumstances, the shrimp are meant to be anesthetized and to be eaten live as well as raw, but motionless. Should you be offered this dish, eat quickly as the anesthetic wears off in time.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

i remember a movie (but not the name) with a fisherman his wife, and some hustler i think.  anyway the hustler starts sleeping with the wife and there's lots of caressing of fish filets.  (reminiscent of your article GG).   in any case, i'm pretty sure it was an american movie.

The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea ???

nope - it was an early to mid-90s flick actually. i can't for the life of me remember who was in it tho.

I believe the wife was played by Maria Conchita Alonzo. As for the men, I guess I didn't pay that much attention. :biggrin: My recollection was that it wasn't so much a hustler as a young guy who sort of got unofficially adopted by the husband who was teaching him the business and the wife.

nice work Bux! it was maria conchita alonzo. her husband was edward james olmos - so yeah, easily forgettable in the role. the movie was Caught.

i just found this out the other day. and it was actually kinkier than i remember.

(btw - do NOT google fish-fondling)

Sexiest or most sensual? Big diff. Yeah, there are all those delightful soft-focus slow-moving caress-and-savor-the-food scenes. But does anyone else recall the scene in the remake of "The Postman Always Rings Twice" in which Jack Nicholson's character nails Jessica Lange's on the kitchen table, flour and bread dough be damned? Now that raised some goose-flesh. :blink:

... in which Jack Nicholson's character nails Jessica Lange's on the kitchen table, flour and bread dough be damned? Now that raised some goose-flesh.  :blink:

Ditto a similar scene in Bull Durham, except with more laughs and less goose-flesh.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

did anyone say 91/2 weeks?  thats pretty damned steamy too!!!!

xo

9 1/2 weeks is, to my mind, the hands down winner. Combine Mickey Rourke with Kim Basinger in a NYC apartment permeated with lust. Add strawberries, chocolate syrup, whipped cream and, ice cubes. Mix well with blindfolds, whips and, handcuffs. Finish with a soundtrack which includes Devo's "Bread and Butter" and Joe Cocker's "You Can Leave Your Hat On".

What could possibly be better?

i thought 91/2 weeks was kinda lame myself. but then again, i'm all for subtelty so maybe it was too obvious.

I agree. I thought it was lame also. In fact, I thought it was humorous. However, I was responding to the subject of the original post - sex - food - film. Not my personal preferences in movies or relationships.

Now that I really think about this subject, there has to be some great material in the "classic" John Waters / Divine films. If I recall correctly, there was an interesting banana scene in Pink Flamingo.

I just found this on an article about Hershey's Kisses on junkfoodnews.com

These were selected as the best, most passionate, screen kisses of all time:

1. Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh in "Gone With the Wind"

2. Omar Sharif and Julie Christie in "Doctor Zhivago"

3. Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman in "Casablanca"

4. Humphrey Bogart and Audrey Hepburn in "Sabrina"

5. Rock Hudson and Doris Day in "Pillow Talk"

6. Molly Ringwald and Justin Henry in "Sixteen Candles"

7. Elizabeth Taylor and Montgomery Clift in "A Place in the Sun"

8. Judd Nelson and Molly Ringwald in "Breakfast Club"

9. Gene Kelly and Debbie Reynolds in "Singing in the Rain"

10. Winona Ryder and Ethan Hawke in "Reality Bites"

While this thread is about sexy film scenes involving food, this might just work if Hershey's sponsors it ... :rolleyes: surely there was something to eat involved in perhaps one, or more, of these kisses ... rebuttal or confirmation? :laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

does flinging olive loaf at statues count? (had nothing to do with the breakfast club kiss tho). sushi? corn pops? pixie stix? actually breakfast lcub had quite a bit of food in it now that i think aobut it....

Raiders of the Lost Ark- When a captured Marion is finally untied, Belloq offers her potatoes, bread and booze. Pissed off and indignant, she shovels the simple fare into her mouth... she made it look oh-so-good!

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Raiders of the Lost Ark- When a captured Marion is finally untied, Belloq offers her potatoes, bread and booze. Pissed off and indignant, she shovels the simple fare into her mouth... she made it look oh-so-good!

then she proceeds to drink him under the table. I love that scene.

I love the whole scene in Babbet's Feast where she's preparing the meal. Its very sensual, but not really sexual. Tampopo of course, but that is humorous erotica really. Isn't the rose petal dish in LWFC done with quail and not chicken? The book is even better on that one.

Born Free, Now Expensive

does flinging olive loaf at statues count?

How about Naven Johnson's "sexy" biker chick :laugh: in The Jerk:

Biker: "Gimme a bite of your corn dog :angry: !!"

Neven: " :unsure: What about germs??"

Biker: "Put a rubber on it :hmmm: !"

And some might find John Balushi sucking all that jello off the plate in one fell swoop in Animal House very sexy. :biggrin:

• 2 years later...
Sexiest or most sensual? Big diff. Yeah, there are all those delightful soft-focus slow-moving caress-and-savor-the-food scenes. But does anyone else recall the scene in the remake of "The Postman Always Rings Twice" in which Jack Nicholson's character nails Jessica Lange's on the kitchen table, flour and bread dough be damned? Now that raised some goose-flesh.  :blink:

oh yeah. I felt, almost shy or embarasesed, like I wasn't supposed to see that view/angle of what was going on there...I could feel myself blushing, as I did with the teenage oyster diver and the older man scene in Tampopo...whew! so scandelous but not really. one is unbridled yet controlled, the other contained, yet simmering over the top.

Sexiest or most sensual? Big diff. Yeah, there are all those delightful soft-focus slow-moving caress-and-savor-the-food scenes. But does anyone else recall the scene in the remake of "The Postman Always Rings Twice" in which Jack Nicholson's character nails Jessica Lange's on the kitchen table, flour and bread dough be damned? Now that raised some goose-flesh.  :blink:

Absolutely right, but it raised more than goose flesh :wink:

"It's true I crept the boards in my youth, but I never had it in my blood, and that's what so essential isn't it? The theatrical zeal in the veins. Alas, I have little more than vintage wine and memories." - Montague Withnail.

Most of the Hepburn-Tracy films had wonderful bits of food scenes. The sexiest? Woman of the Year. A passionate kiss in silhouette, fever broken with a suggestion of a "nice cold glass of milk." Gorgeous.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

• 3 months later...

I hate to bring up a film that featured Rosie O'Donnel in a leather bustier but... Exit to Eden had a scene featuring Dana Delany's bossum, a stick of butter, cinnamon and a croissant. Very, very, very HOT!

Edited by TJHarris (log)

Tobin

It is all about respect; for the ingredient, for the process, for each other, for the profession.