• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Food of The Gilmore Girls

corvus

Rory suggests a drink for her and Lorelei at a restaurant, did she say "rum pot".  I didn't quite catch it.

Lorelei said she felt like she should buy Rory a shot. Since they were in a bakery, the closest they could come to a drink was "rum balls".

Edited to say "d'oh!" Fat Guy beat me to it.

Edited by emmalish (log)

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

Rory suggests a drink for her and Lorelei at a restaurant, did she say "rum pot".  I didn't quite catch it.

I think they were at a bakery, and IIRC she said "rum balls".

Also, there was the mention of the duck served for dinner at the grandparents' house, and the fight that Rory and Emily got into over how delicious it was.

Edited to say Fat Guy and emmalish beat me to it - whoops! So I guess it definitely was "rum balls", then.

Edited by Papaya (log)

I just loved Kirk's savoring all the burnt food. The pancake he thought was blackened meat. Not wanting to spoil the good char on the meatloaf with ketchup. Scraping the burnt off the toast to mix it in with the runny eggs. The place is empty but he can't get enough of the burnt stuff. A wonderful snapshot of why there is the saying "it is all a matter of taste" -- we all like what we like. Well, Kirk being odd helps too.

• 1 month later...

great, food-centric episode tonight where sookie is ordered to get bedrest until after she has the baby -- lorelei calls luke to take over the kitchen, which he does with more flair than sookie was expecting. she freaks out, calling him constantly to make sure he double-strains the duck sauce. his lamb chops mystify her... in a good way.

meanwhile we also get a phrase i never thought i'd hear on GG: "rhinestone penis"

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

Staying in one of the rooms so the food wouldn't leave the property was pretty funny too.

My favorite bit was trying to get the lamb chop secret out of Luke, even as he's about to fall asleep he wouldn't give it up.

Edited by rose_ayn (log)

Have watched since Day 1. Received DVD sets 1 & 2 as gifts recently. #3 comes out on May 3.

We love all the food references and scenes, but when they open that kitchen door at the Inn and the lunch prep makes you expect Charles and Camilla et entourage to pop in for the reception---it's a bit much. Sukie is just one person, with a very talented staff, but the food stylists (phenomenal) take great liberties with shelf life, refrigeration needs, etc. Mousses sit cheek by jowl with jowls themselves, and there is TOO MUCH stuff just sitting AROUND!!! Those towers of Jello need refrigeration, people!!

It's beautiful food--especially re: Lorelai's surprise shower, both in the kitchen and in the town square.

And only Lorelai and Rory would egg someone's car with devilled eggs. Gotta love 'em.

:wub:

edited to spell "Sukie" correctly. Should have known because, in the Wedding Invitation episode, she went Bridezilla cause they spelled it "Suzie" which they wouldn'ta if it had OO's in it.

And re Gilmore conspicuous consumption: Rory, coming back from semi-anorexia-gauntness a couple of seasons ago, wore jeans last episode, and has developed a bit of junk in the trunk.

Dear Lord, I DO need a hobby.

Edited by racheld (log)

• 9 months later...

Last night's episode had more food references than other episodes this season, I think. There was mention of Sukie's infamous mishaps from previous years; her issue with serving oysters for Valentine's Day & Lorelai's suggestion of burritos instead; Rory "cooking" dinner at Logan's house (salad, bruschetta & mashed potatoes) and Lorelai helping by chopping celery & mashing the potatoes; and Logan's perfectly-cooked lobsters (which Luke had never had before). Anything else I'm missing?

Anything else I'm missing?

Luke and Lorelai and breakfast in bed - delivered by the breakfast santa! :smile:

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Freeze dried spaghetti in a bag (along with camp stove and mongo bowie knife) and power bars for breakfast.

"Breakfast Santa" delivered breakfast in bed.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

I jumped onto my treadmill last night, clicked on the TiVo and ... someone in my house had the 2/14 Gilmore Girls removed to make space for a golf reality show. AUUUGH! My fix, my fix .....

One of my favorite episodes was when Lorelei was trying to open the new inn and ran into some money trouble. Rory opened the refrigerator, saw the "real food," and knew instinctively than Lorelei was broke. :laugh:

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

I jumped onto my treadmill last night, clicked on the TiVo and ... someone in my house had the 2/14 Gilmore Girls removed to make space for a golf reality show.  AUUUGH!  My fix, my fix .....

And this, my friends, is why I am still single. Men are evil. :laugh:

FFB, if you want a full report via PM, let me know! :wink:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

Finally saw Tuesday's episode last night. I got my husband into this show, so girls, there's hope for you yet! He also knows there'd be severe consequences if he ever deleted my program.

Cucumber water, how refreshing!

At least the second time cucumber water has been mentioned on this show.
Freeze dried spaghetti in a bag (along with camp stove and mongo bowie knife) and power bars for breakfast.

I liked Luke’s response: (paraphrasing) “you just add water and eat it right out of the bag!”

And Lorelai thinking that a potato masher was some weird type of waffle maker.

Edited by I_call_the_duck (log)

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Finally saw Tuesday's episode last night.  I got my husband into this show, so girls, there's hope for you yet!  He also knows there'd be severe consequences if he ever deleted my program.

My little brother (straight, yes) is ADDICTED to GG. I bought him seasons 1 and 2 on DVD for Christmas. :laugh:

I have him over for dinner on Tuesday and we watch it together. :biggrin:

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

Queenie Takes Manhattan

There was a reference to two famous chefs, but now I don't remember who they were! Maybe Bourdain? (It wasn't anyone like Emeril or Rachael.)

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

Finally saw Tuesday's episode last night.  I got my husband into this show, so girls, there's hope for you yet!  He also knows there'd be severe consequences if he ever deleted my program.

My little brother (straight, yes) is ADDICTED to GG. I bought him seasons 1 and 2 on DVD for Christmas. :laugh:

I have him over for dinner on Tuesday and we watch it together. :biggrin:

I'm so mad I missed this thread the first time around!!! I CANNOT miss GG or Crossing Jordan... those are my two!

I think you are the nicest sister there ever was... I'll trade my little brother for you! :wink:

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

There was a reference to two famous chefs, but now I don't remember who they were! Maybe Bourdain? (It wasn't anyone like Emeril or Rachael.)

Oh yeah... I think one was Batali?

• 1 month later...

About Tuesday's episode: Did anyone else so not believe that Richard and Emily didn't get the macaroni and cheese? And, isn't this a different 'Cesare" than before? Or is he like Carlton Your Doorman -- never seen, but known?

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

They often get it wrong when it comes to New England blueblood WASP culinary preferences. Mac-and-cheese is certainly part of the vernacular of that demographic. The show's writers, living in California, have probably never been to, for example, a real old-money Connecticut country club.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)