• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Food of The Gilmore Girls

corvus

About Tuesday's episode:  Did anyone else so not believe that Richard and Emily didn't get the macaroni and cheese? And, isn't this a different 'Cesare" than before?  Or is he like Carlton Your Doorman -- never seen, but known?

I was also puzzled that they were fooled into thinking that the tacquitos were blinis.

There are two different Cesars--a Hispanic one, and an Asian one.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

I had no idea a thread like this existed. Seeing it and curious about a plot twist since I do not watch regularly enough, I googled Rory's name and "Harvard rejection" only to come up with a Wikipedia page on Paris Geller. A Wikipedia page on Paris Geller!

At any rate, after a brief introductory paragraph to the character, here's the second:

Paris is also lactose intolerant, enjoys soy milk along with other healthy and organic foods, and prefers her pizza without cheese; despite these eating habits, her favorite food is macaroni and cheese, and other kinds of fast food since she and Rory became friends and roommates.

Hmmm. Did someone from eGullet contribute to the entry?

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

They often get it wrong when it comes to New England blueblood WASP culinary preferences. Mac-and-cheese is certainly part of the vernacular of that demographic. The show's writers, living in California, have probably never been to, for example, a real old-money Connecticut country club.

Maybe that's why Lorelei eats so much: she was raised on that type of food! :laugh:

I would have loved to see signs that Richard and Emily were 'on' to Lorelei's little tapas party.

Pontormo, too funny that Paris Geller is on Wikipedia! I didn't read the entry, but I wonder if it says anything about Paris' being raised on feijoiada (sp) and whatever else her nanny cooked for her. (REmember when she stayed over at Rory's one night and called Nanny to tell her not to hold dinner -- she spoke to her in Spanish, except for "mac and cheese.")

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

• 4 weeks later...
Spaghetti and meatballs = fightin' food!  Gotta love that show.  I was appalled that Lorelei was waving her fork around like that and surprised that Emily didn't bust her for it.

She kind of did... I think that was partly why she took the plates away! I wanted it to roll off her fork and across the room so bad!

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

Spaghetti and meatballs = fightin' food!  Gotta love that show.  I was appalled that Lorelei was waving her fork around like that and surprised that Emily didn't bust her for it.

She kind of did... I think that was partly why she took the plates away! I wanted it to roll off her fork and across the room so bad!

And have Lorelai start a rousing rendition of "On Top of Spaghetti?" I was surprised that Emily actually served it in the first place.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

• 6 months later...

Tonight's episode, wherein Lorelai and Christopher go to Paris, had the most unrealistic food allusions of any episode yet. First, while at the hotel, Christopher calls and makes a same-day 8:30pm reservation at Arpege, like it's no big deal. Then, they sleep through dinner because of the time change. Then, Christopher pays the staff of Arpege to open the restaurant for dinner for just the two of them at 4am. Worse, they show up at "Arpege" and it's not Arpege -- it's some restaurant they used for the scene that looks nothing like Arpege, has this incredible view of the Paris skyline and serves dessert on little plates like in a diner.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Yay! I've loved reading this thread. I've only been able to see re-runs on ABC family- silly cable co. doesn't have the CW :shock:

Anyway, 2 Gilmore Girls memories I have are:

1. Scene where Lorelai opens a pack of bagged salad, pours in some dressing and sticks a fork in it to eat right out of the bag. (I think this was the episode after Rory and Dean fell asleep at Miss Patty's)

2. Scene where Sukie is freaking out because Jackson is going to deep fry the turkey for Thanksgiving. I love how she would allow him to THINK he was making the turkey on his own but planned to add her own touches to it in the oven without his knowledge (I think she as going to add some onion or rub it with some herb butter...can't remember specifically....)

Tonight's episode, wherein Lorelai and Christopher go to Paris, had the most unrealistic food allusions of any episode yet. First, while at the hotel, Christopher calls and makes a same-day 8:30pm reservation at Arpege, like it's no big deal. Then, they sleep through dinner because of the time change. Then, Christopher pays the staff of Arpege to open the restaurant for dinner for just the two of them at 4am. Worse, they show up at "Arpege" and it's not Arpege -- it's some restaurant they used for the scene that looks nothing like Arpege, has this incredible view of the Paris skyline and serves dessert on little plates like in a diner.

That's what happens when the creative force leaves the show. Sigh.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

That's what happens when the creative force leaves the show. Sigh.

You are SO RIGHT Megan!

Did anyone notice the scene when Rory is in her/Logan's apt. and she is sipping a cup of TEA?!

What happened to the hardcore coffee addiction??

• 1 month later...

How is it possible that there are 3 whole pages of GG food refrences, yet not one mention of Al's Pancake World, where of course they never serve pancakes!!!

Let's hope he lays off the steel drum! :raz:

Love GG... Favourite show.. I wan't say that I made my work schedule so I can catch up on episodes, but I won't lie and say I wasn't happy that I can watch the reruns at 11AM on ABCfamily of last night's 5pm show :wacko:

Now fortified with extra Riboflavins!

• 3 weeks later...

People, people. If I'd been drinking milk it woulda come out my nose...

(A paraphrased recap)

Sookie made muffin tops as a bribe for Lorelai and Lorelai asked what she would do with all the leftover muffin bottoms.

Sookie said she could make a Muffin Bottom Pie.

To which Lorelai said "That's sounds dirty."

:blink::laugh::laugh::laugh:

And I missed the opening...were they trying to ditch Monte Cristos after leaving Richard and Emily's?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

(A paraphrased recap)

Sookie made muffin tops as a bribe for Lorelai and Lorelai asked what she would do with all the leftover muffin bottoms.

:blink:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

And I missed the opening...were they trying to ditch Monte Cristos after leaving Richard and Emily's?

It really was a fabulous line...last night's show seemed to me to be a great return to some of the strong writing and plotlines we've seen in seasons past.

On a food note, I particularly liked the idea of the coffee as a totem of Luke - coffee is so much a part of Lorelai that I can understand why drinking coffee from the diner takes on an almost adulterous overtone, though of course it shouldn't.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

(A paraphrased recap)

:blink:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

I thought the muffin bottom pie thing was pretty funny as well.

I *think* the food they were trying to ditch was some Quail breised in a Mexican mole type sauce or something. (It sounded really tasty, so I guess Lorelei was just being 'contrary' to her Mom. I think Emily said she asked one of her maids who was from Mexico to procure the recipe and make it.) Maybe someone can remember the quail prep better than I can!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I thought the muffin bottom pie thing was pretty funny as well. 

I *think* the food they were trying to ditch was some Quail breised in a Mexican mole type sauce or something.  (It sounded really tasty, so I guess Lorelei was just being 'contrary' to her Mom.  I think Emily said she asked one of her maids who was from Mexico to procure the recipe and make it.)  Maybe someone can remember the quail prep better than I can!

Something about tequila cactus sauce?

Queenie Takes Manhattan

• 2 weeks later...

Walnut, arugula, and gorgonzola crostini

Caraway cornbread with apricots, bacon and jalapeno jam

Beef tenderloin chiffonade and little foccacia rounds

Sweet potato biscuits with pork tenderloin and apple chutney

and some fat free brownies

A foodie definately writes for this show. Was anyone else hungry after that scene.

one other thing, How do you chiffonade a beef tenderloin.I've had meat pulled, shredded and julienned, but never a "chiffonade" :huh:

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

Maybe I missed an episode, but does anyone know what happened to Sookies ratatouille vegetables? She got a free delivery from a farmer one day, made ratatouille and it ended up so much better than her usual, with the vegetables from Jackson. Was this ever developed, ie did she have to choose between Jackson and the other vegetable guy?

Edited by Chufi (log)

[...]

one other thing,  How do you chiffonade a beef tenderloin.I've had meat pulled, shredded and julienned, but never a "chiffonade" :huh:

It appeared she was putting some sort of green chiffonaded vegetable or herb on top of the beef towards the end of that scene.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

A foodie definately writes for this show.

There's definitely a conscious effort to include a lot of food references, and having several major characters in the food business (Luke, Sookie, Jackson, various people who work at Luke's) is rare, however I'm not sure the writers know very much about food and restaurants. I get the feeling they do a lot of googling and don't care much about accuracy. Plus, the kitchen scenes are totally unrealistic, with all those baskets and piles of fruits and vegetables cluttering up the counters.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

with all those baskets and piles of fruits and vegetables cluttering up the counters.

That would absolutely drive me nuts, I like to have out what I'm working with and not everthing in the kitchen.

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett