• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Reinventing fast food

fresco

Katherine, on the whole I think you'd be surprised at what a lot of fast-food places are offering to consumers who have your preferences. They study these matters rigorously and they know they need to appeal to mixed groups where the one health-conscious person is going to dictate the destination choice. Most of the big burger chains are aggressively marketing salads, including things like grilled chicken Caesar, and they usually have at least one low- or non-fat dressing choice. Likewise, any Subway sandwich can be reconfigured as a salad. And chains like Boston Market are designed exactly for the preferences you expressed: rotisserie chicken, turkey, and other proteins, with a large selection of sides.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Lyle & Herbacidal: The success of in-supermarket sandwich counters and mid-upscale bakery operations like Panera is great news for anyone who is considering an attempt to reclaim the corner-deli niche. If people are willing to endure the inefficiency of a supermarket that means they will be very happy to be able to get that same sandwich at a dedicated establishment with a wider range of options, with better parking, closer access to the road, and perhaps even a drive-thru. Likewise, baking bread like Panera breaks is easy as pie -- a lot easier than pie, actually -- especially if you only have to bake a couple of kinds. It's very simple with frozen dough, which can produce very good crusty bread. And a dedicated deli can provide better service and pricing than Panera. Basically, the lack of corner delis in most of America has created a vacuum that needs to be filled.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Lyle & Herbacidal: The success of in-supermarket sandwich counters and mid-upscale bakery operations like Panera is great news for anyone who is considering an attempt to reclaim the corner-deli niche. If people are willing to endure the inefficiency of a supermarket that means they will be very happy to be able to get that same sandwich at a dedicated establishment with a wider range of options, with better parking, closer access to the road, and perhaps even a drive-thru. Likewise, baking bread like Panera breaks is easy as pie -- a lot easier than pie, actually -- especially if you only have to bake a couple of kinds. It's very simple with frozen dough, which can produce very good crusty bread. And a dedicated deli can provide better service and pricing than Panera. Basically, the lack of corner delis in most of America has created a vacuum that needs to be filled.

all very true.

i suppose what i was suprised by was that somebody actually did fill that void finally.

at a base level, i knew the opportunity was there, because of these smaller mom and pops being pushed out. yet no one had really picked up the ball and tried to meet that market opportunity.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Katherine, on the whole I think you'd be surprised at what a lot of fast-food places are offering to consumers who have your preferences. They study these matters rigorously and they know they need to appeal to mixed groups where the one health-conscious person is going to dictate the destination choice. Most of the big burger chains are aggressively marketing salads, including things like grilled chicken Caesar, and they usually have at least one low- or non-fat dressing choice. Likewise, any Subway sandwich can be reconfigured as a salad. And chains like Boston Market are designed exactly for the preferences you expressed: rotisserie chicken, turkey, and other proteins, with a large selection of sides.

We used to have a rotisserie place in the area, that had lots of vegetable and salad choices. We don't anymore, they sold out to Arby's.

Salads get boring really fast, and commercial dressings suck. I'll still be waiting for a place that serves a quick meal, and packing my own lunch until it arrives.

Next time you're curious, try a McDonald's Grilled Chicken California Cobb Salad with Newman’s Own dressing. I honestly don't think you'll say it or the dressing sucks. Not as good as homemade, sure. But sucks, I bet most eG people wouldn't say so after tasting. Wendy's also has a fairly ambitious salad program. Burger King is just now releasing a "salad in a sandwich" concept, though that does include a bun.

Unfortunately, I believe KFC has been phasing out its Rotisserie Gold chicken due to lack of demand. That was a Boston Market-like option available nationwide. For non-fried options at most KFCs now you have to go with the sandwiches.

To me, an essential element of a fast food restaurant is the ability to eat it in the car while driving. Disregarding the dangers of doing that while changing the radio station and talking on my cell, I still want portability. I want to go through the drive-thru, get my food, and continue. If I hit a fast food joint, I rarely eat inside -- I eat in my car. Many of the healthy options just aren't made to eat in the car. That's an element that must be strongly considered.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Salads get boring really fast, and commercial dressings suck. I'll still be waiting for a place that serves a quick meal, and packing my own lunch until it arrives.

Chicken out has exactly what you describe. A plate with chicken and two sides, which can be a salad or steamed veggies.

I tried a Panera sandwich for the first time last weekend. Very flavorful and fresh. I was impressed.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

My fast food place would be a normal hamburger place with fries and milkshake, except it would be a vegetarian restaurant. I would also have veggie hot dogs, love those. Vegetarianism is on the rise, yet people want their favorite junk foods. It's low cost, easy, and a relatively unexplored niche market. Heck those juice bars have made it big(at least in CA).

I think it would go over big in Calfornia and India.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

Chicken out has exactly what you describe.  A plate with chicken and two sides, which can be a salad or steamed veggies.

Chicken Out sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. Since all the locations are in Maryland, I won't hold my breath. Almost worth relocating for, but not quite.

Chicken out has exactly what you describe.  A plate with chicken and two sides, which can be a salad or steamed veggies.

Chicken Out sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. Since all the locations are in Maryland, I won't hold my breath. Almost worth relocating for, but not quite.

Sorry, I didn't realize it was local. Every time a chain opens I assume it's national.

Is Boston Market still around in other areas? That was a national chicken place that offered fresh veggies. Most of them closed around here but there are a few still open.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Sorry, I didn't realize it was local. Every time a chain opens I assume it's national.

Is Boston Market still around in other areas? That was a national chicken place that offered fresh veggies. Most of them closed around here but there are a few still open.

I like Chicken Out too and didn't realize it was local (I am in Northern Virginia).

Apparently outside of the DC are there are 2 in Charlotte and 2 in Georgia.

Bill Russell

Is Boston Market still around in other areas?

In the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, and California it has a strong presence. Not much in the Northwest and Plains. A smattering elsewhere.

Is Boston Market still around in other areas?

In the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, and California it has a strong presence. Not much in the Northwest and Plains. A smattering elsewhere.

I really miss Boston Market, but it's probably just as well. They were like stealth fast food. Because you needed a fork and there were veggies involved, they seemed healthier than fast food and thus I ended up spending far more money there and consuming more calories per meal than I would have in a visit to McDonalds etc. Never dared check the nutritional info on the creamed spinach.

Is Boston Market still around in other areas?  That was a national chicken place that offered fresh veggies.  Most of them closed around here but there are a few still open.

Boston Market expanded too quickly and ran out of money.

McDonalds bought them, and in an attempt to restore profitability, has closed some and converted others to Donato's, and a few to Fazoli's (an interesting fast food concept on its own: drive-through Italian; McD is a major franchisee of Fazoli's). You might also see some eventually converted to Pret A Manger -- a concept similar to the sandwich-to-go idea that's being tossed around here.

Just for reference:

Boston Market: 650 locations in 28 states

Fazoli's: 400 locations in 32 states; McD has opened or has options on up to 30

Chipotle: 200 locations (they have an entertaining web site at www.chipotle.com, btw)

Pret A Manger: 125 locations, most of which are in the UK; there are eight in NYC

McDonalds: 30,000 locations in more than 100 countries

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Is Boston Market still around in other areas?  That was a national chicken place that offered fresh veggies.  Most of them closed around here but there are a few still open.

There never were any up here in Maine, unless I missed something that was well hidden. I haven't been out of the state much, so I wouldn't know if any of the ones I used to see on my travels had closed.

But two chains out of -how many?- where you can get some kind of meat and veg. There should be more. Surely most markets would support ONE.

But I guess most people don't care about balancing their diet, as long as the food is filling, cheap, and more or less tasty.

• 11 years later...

I haven't seen table service at the classic 'fast food' joints when I've gone (McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King, Subway) but I can't speak for those chains throughout the USA. There is a Midwestern chain called Culver's ('Home of the Butter Burger'!) that looks like a fast food joint - in fact, ours was originally a BK - that does table service.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 2 weeks later...

Well, there's table service and then there's table service. I've been to several fast food places where you're given a number and someone will run your food to the table when it's ready so you don't have to wait at the counter. But it's not a full-service thing... you still bus your own table, get your own drinks, etc. No tipping.

• Like 1

table service is far less important than being able to " build " your own burger w your own selection of add-ons.

McD might not be the place to do this, given there various margins etc

but if you actually find one of these places  " down under " ( are we 'up top' allowed to say that ? )

many of Us  ( ie Me: Im pleural today ) would enjoy a few  ( ie many ) pics

Yep, that's Culver's.  You place your order at the counter, they give you cups for drinks, and a number.  You get own drinks, condiments, etc... Then they bring the food out to you.  They will get plastic silverwear, or extras- like mayo or pickles, if you ask.   And, you bus your own table.

The nice thing about Culver's is the selection.  Its far more than your run-of-the-mill burger joint. Aside from decent burgers and chicken strips, they have wonderful frozen custard, with a new flavor of the day- each day; Roast beef dinners w/ mashies, roasted chicken, battered cod, meatloaf, salads, etc.  My favorite burger is still Fuddrucker's....but its a 9 hour drive to the closest one. :+(

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

A blogger's review of the 'create your own burger' setup: http://gourmanda.me/2014/10/06/review-create-your-taste-mcdonalds-castle-hill/ Photos of the kiosk and a finished burger but none, unfortunately, showing the ordering process.

tl;dr version:

• Surprisingly satisfying burger. At least according to a blogger that claims to not be a big fan of the usual offerings served up by McDonald's.
  • The ordering system is a little complicated. Maybe the person's a total chicken head, but they spent ~5 minutes creating a burger. System seems inefficient: can only order a slice of cheese, can only get a single burger per order.
  • The burger can be purchased as part of a meal deal. The 'gourmet' setup doesn't extend to sides and beverages, altho' the fries are served in a little metal fryer basket. If we're crossing the $10 threshold I guess you can't serve them in cardboard any more. >_>
  • The blogger claims it is cheaper than other fast food establishments that offer 'gourmet' burgers. Based on the listed price, I disagree. It seems on par, damn near to the dollar, with local chains such as Grill'd and food trucks such as Mr Burger.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between