• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet NJ Pig-BBQ & Potluck, Sunday, 9/21/03

Fat Guy

I have about a 5 hour drive from Boston and reservations at Apple Valley Inn for Sunday evening. The storm is espected to miss Boston, but should I be rethinking my plans? Saturday will likely be to late to cancel my room, but I can at least avoid the drive if things are unlikely to happen. Please PM or email me instead of posting to the forum.

I have one of those dreaded SUVs and may tow you out of the mud if you apologize.

Jim

well, all -

looks like sunday will be a beautiful day so.... :sad:

will not see you since we are expecting the final push of broadwing hawks beginning to go through once the rain clears new england. keep looking up and if you see what looks like a tornado of birds you are experiencing the migration. also look real well at those kettles(anything over 5 birds that use a thermal updraft to rise - like water boiling in a kettle) to see if you have any osprey or bald eagles migrating with the smaller broadwings. :smile:

suzilightning and johnnybird

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I've been down as a "maybe" for a while...but I'm almost positive I can come..."jeez, can't you just commit already or not come at all"...ok, put me down for definitely coming and I guess if I can't come, I can't come....Is there anything I can bring that hasnt been offerred...maybe extra napkins and stuff....or Korean snacks?

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

A reminder about BYO:

This is a BYO event. Bring the beverage of your choice for your consumption...and perhaps a bit extra for others to sample if you choose. If you have signed up to contribute a beverage for the potluck, however, please bring enough for the group.

Also, just a reminder to bring non-alcoholic beverages for the hour or so before the drive home There are a few folks bringing bottled water, and I think that if anyone wants to add to their contribution, a case or 12 pack of iced tea or water or soda "for the road" might be appreciated. If you could being it cold and iced, that would be helpful.

There are 52 confirmed as of 11am Tuesday. Pleae confirm via PM to Kim WB if you have not done so already...number of guests, and confriming your dish.

Jon/Mark/ Parking A team: I have real estate signs already on ground sticks...I can cover them with white paper, and then you can bring a marker to add info and arrows. Let me know.

Suzi, sorry you can't make it but I know you enjoy your bird..er....HAWK watching. :laugh:

Edit: Tommy's declined to be hoodwinked into helping people park. Rachel

Edited by Rachel Perlow (log)

Curdnerd says he has very high quality well water, so there's no need to bring bottled. If anyone has a spare beverage dispensing cooler, however, that would probably be a good thing to bring.

Kim - the real estate signs would be perfect, 4 please. I can bring a marker. Or, if you or your kids have time to make the signs in advance, Just make signs that say eGullet with an arrow. Two in each direction.

eGullet -->

<-- eGullet

Kim - the real estate signs would be perfect, 4 please. I can bring a marker. Or, if you or your kids have time to make the signs in advance, Just make signs that say eGullet with an arrow. Two in each direction.

eGullet -->

<-- eGullet

done. Cool. A craft project!

I started a starter last week, and will have much to give away at the NJ potluck in a couple of weeks, if anyone wants some (or meet me here in NYC). I used organic red grapes as the yeast source, water and flour, and that's it. PM me if you want some in a couple of weeks when it's stronger.

Great Elyse, I'd love some. Hmm, any chance of you bringing any of your other products on Sunday? I was thinking it might be nice to be able to buy some more Pao de Quejo dough and some of your incredible Mayan Love Cookies. :wub:

Fer sellin, or givin? Is anyone else interested? If so, PM me. :smile:

I'm afraid I'm going to have to deRSVPify myself; for the same reason I've pretty much cut myself off from eG for the last month or so... damn you, dissertation!  Why won't you write yourself?

is beth coming?

more importantly, is she bringing a pie? :biggrin:

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Pooh:

You'll be pleased to know that I have a cow named Eeyore.

See you on Sunday!

Jonathan & Nina White, cheesemakers/bakers

mailto:Jonathan@cowsoutside.com

Bobolink Dairy & Bakeyard

Grass-fed raw milk cheese

Wood-fired rustic breads

Located between Warwick, NY & Vernon, NJ

Our Webpage

Since the Fentons aren't coming, should I make the banana pudding instead of the ice cream/sorbet? It will definitely travel easier. I'll still bring some of the watermelon ice cream I have left in my deep freeze, but I just won't make anymore. I think the nana pudding is way more bbq appropriate anyway. :) But actually, I've never made it before. Could someone point me towards a recipe?

I'm afraid I'm going to have to deRSVPify myself; for the same reason I've pretty much cut myself off from eG for the last month or so... damn you, dissertation!  Why won't you write yourself?

Drink more beer Andrew, and the damn thing will write itself. Worked for me.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Hopefully, he'll get me the recipe. Does it have to have the meringue? I'm not a huge meringue fan and since this will have to travel, I'm leary. Is this something that can be made ahead, or should I bring the pudding, bananas and cookies and layer them immediately before serving?