• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

stagis

Pizza Toppings: Simple/Elaborate, Traditional/Unusual

Interesting set of experiments for the Cacio e Pepe pizzas. Thanks for documenting this @Chris Hennes.

• Like 1

@Chris Hennes, yum, yum.

I had a hankering after mushrooms today, so my pizza was topped with thinly sliced farmers' market mushrooms, mozzarella, and Parmesan Reggiano.

For me the top surface of the dough was a bit mungy. I thought the mozzarella was too wet. Possibly the mushrooms weeped overly.

Do you pre-cook mushrooms for pizza?

14 hours ago, TdeV said:

Do you pre-cook mushrooms for pizza?

I do, but it's for flavor, not moisture management. I have not found mushrooms to give off much water when cooking on pizza.

• Thanks 1

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

It boils down (no pun intended) to your setup and the time it needs to cook your pizza. In my pre-baking steel times a pizza took around 7 min. Fresh mushrooms - even thinly sliced - gave up far too much water during that cooking period to be used efficiently.

Now, with baking steel & broiler I am in the 3.5 min range and heaps of mushrooms can be easily piled onto the pie and cook down nicely without any sogginess ...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@Duvel , could you please discuss volume and measurements?

My pizza was ~488g dough 7+ days aged in fridge, 90g mozzarella, 90g Parmesan Reggiano, 80-90g mushrooms (farmers' market "chef's mushrooms" - 3 varieties)

Oven and ceramic pizza stone preheated for one hour to 550°F, but I have noticed the oven can dip 70°F before it switches back on. Cooked with convection for 6 1/2 minutes.

The mozzarella had been sliced thinly and out of the fridge for some time. It looked wet and I pressed it with paper towel. Still some moisture.

The top surface of the dough was not cooked enough. Link to original pizza (from dinner thread). The photos below are cold leftovers, but they illustrate the wet surface of the dough.

IMG_2350cropped.thumb.jpg.1c1a745c2e4581a528333b4c97edd459.jpg

IMG_2348cropped.thumb.jpg.c9212f20307318d3241c4b2a603b9cd3.jpg

Thoughts?

Edited by TdeV Better Photo (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@TdeV, my usual pizza is 250 g (63% hydration), aged 2 days in the fridge. Hand tossed to about 28-30 cm diameter.

I use a 1 cm thick pizza steel, 36 x 36 cm. Preheated with convection at maximum (250 oC) for 45 min, last 15 min with top broiler on. The broiler is 12 cm away from the steel. The broiler needs to be on, when loading (glowing red), otherwise the top doesn’t cook properly. IR thermometer reads of the pizza steel typically yield 310-320 oC.

Before I aquired the described setup, I used full fat dry mozzarella with some Parmigiano for flavor, as regular mozz left too much liquid. Now I can use brine-stored buffalo mozzarella without any issues. 

Pizza with above specifications and in my current setup will cook in about 3.5 to 4 min ...

8DCEE8EE-3342-4AAC-A9FE-FEB4D5A8449C.thumb.jpeg.739639c25d675134bd0b413a67325e5e.jpeg

F48619A4-FAA8-4BA8-BFDB-0E16492A5B21.thumb.jpeg.fa201d21ecd88b4ccbe39c4f60f478c7.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Well, it looks like summer is here for real this time, so I'm back out at the grill for tonight's pizza. I've actually never made a grilled pizza: I normally make a pan pizza, and just cook it on the grill. Tonight I decided to give an actual grilled pizza a try. I have a bit of work to do on the timing, but overall it was satisfactory.

20200603-182448.jpg

• Like 6

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Another grilled pizza, though this time in a pan - a pizza inspired by Reinhart's Perfect Pan Pizza book, with mozzarella and cheddar under crushed tomatoes, chopped grape tomatoes, black pepper, and red pepper flakes. Made thin enough that the crust is crispy most of the way through except at the very edges. 

20200604-184801.jpg

• Like 7

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Back to actual normal-person grilled pizza now. This one turned out better than my last: the crust was nice and crispy, with a bit of charring but not overkill.

20200605-175119.jpg

• Like 6

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Still making grilled pizza, and probably will be for a few months now: I think I've got the "grilled" part dialed in pretty well now, so I'm back to mucking around with the toppings. Normally when I am putting blue cheese on pizza I use Gorgonzola, but for tonight's I used Bayley Hazen. Wow. It's an amazing cheese no matter how it's served, and on pizza (accompanied by kalamata olives and toasted walnuts) it was fantastic. I put it on last, so it was probably on the heat for about a minute, which was perfect. It was just melting, but didn't disappear into the crust the way that sometimes blue cheese can if you give it too much time.

20200614-174917.jpg

• Like 6

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

This one is straight out of Reinhart's American Pie: in the section he calls "Third-generation Neo-Neapolitan Pizza" he has a recipe for Onion Marmalade, Walnuts, and Blue Cheese pizza. I was a bit worried that the onions would be too sweet, but actually it ended up well-balanced, and quite delicious. This is the Bayley Hazen blue again, and I toasted the walnuts separately since this is a grilled pizza and the toppings don't get a lot of heat once they are on the pie.

20200615-180643.jpg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 2

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

The Gort Pizza!!

50010203227_7197b46683_b.jpg

niktoo baratta cheese and burger  ( well sounded good )  3 cheese/burger and sausage

50010203952_76a3db03c5_b.jpg

50010203952_76a3db03c5_b.jpg

• Like 6

Its good to have Morels