• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant Names

Deacon

I was just poring over my looong list of restaurants I'd like to try one day, and several names popped out at me.

Some were just intriguing, like A Fish Called Avalon in Miami Beach, Colt & Alison in Sea Island, Georgia, and Father's Office in Santa Monica.

But who the hell would eat at The Gutter in Highland Park, CA? (You might as well call your restaurant "The Sewer.") Same for Bloodroot in Bridgeport, CT, or The Dead Fish in Crockett, CA, or even Raw Living Foods in San Francisco.

I guess the owner of Conundrum in Aspen couldn't decide what to put on the menu. Mr. Lucky's 24/7 doesn't sound too bad a place, once you know it's in Las Vegas. I wouldn't name a restaurant after an Adam Sandler movie, but the owner of The Waterboy in Sacramento apparently did. And One If By Land, Two If By Sea (in NYC) just seems too long. Too many words, although I've seen it abbreviated to 1IBL,2IBS. Still doesn't seem too euphonious, even abbreviated.

Finally, the legions of Dudley Moore/Peter Cook fans have created at least three different restaurants called The Frog and the Peach. Trying to be different, though, there's one in Richmond, VA, called The Frog and the Redneck.

So what are the best/worst/most interesting restaurant names you've heard of?

Edited by Deacon (log)

There was a restaurant in the middle of nowhere of West Virginia called "Eat and Run." After the 400 pound waitress who lacked several teeth promised to show me parts of West Virginia tourists rarely get to see, I quickly realized the restaurant's name was quite appropriate.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Hung Fatt.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Here in my little suburb, we've got a restaurant called "Critters."

I've always thought that a most unfortunate mental picture to associate with a restaurant.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

So what are the best/worst/most interesting restaurant names you've heard of?

Oh-toe -- "Most difficult to pronounce"

Cow and Corn -- "Worst!" But it was a superb Italian restaurant, and I finally persuaded the owner to change it to Mucca e Grano" which still sounded bloody awful, but at least it sounded Italian :laugh:

Hook Line and Sinker --- "Naff but neat". This was a fish restaurant mini-chain of the 1970s. Usually pretty good food, and the name matched the style somehow.

Gramercy Tavern --- "Best". It just somehow seems so appropriate for what it is, and it rolls beautifully off the tongue. It also sounds good as "GT" or "The Tavern" or even just "Gramercy". That's what you call euphonic flexibility.

Hung Far Lo (Portland, OR)

Pharmacy (London)

Thai Ho (Seattle)

The Slaughtered Lamb ("American Werewolf in London")

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Hung Far Lo (Portland, OR)

Oh no, MsRamsey, you took mine! As soon as I saw the topic name, I thought of the enormous Hung Far Lo sign, and I laughed... :laugh::laugh: It's hard to believe that Hung Far Lo is for real, but I went there with some friends... interesting experience.

"There is no worse taste in the mouth than chocolate and cigarettes. Second would be tuna and peppermint. I've combined everything, so I know."

--Augusten Burroughs

I recall a Chinese restaurant in DC named the Big Wong.  Not sure what that was in reference to.

Hey, I've eaten at Big Wong! Good dim sum.

Here in Seattle we have Bimbo's Bitchin' Buritto Kitchen with the attached Cha Cha Lounge. Best experienced in person. And Two Dagos from Texas.

"Burritos As Big As Your Head," Kalamazoo, MI

"The Oarhouse," on the water, Gulf Shores, AL

"Floribama Lounge."

"The Barking Frog Lounge," Battle Creek, MI

"The Muskrat's Pocket." Hungry Horse, MT

Noise is music. All else is food.

I recall a Chinese restaurant in DC named the Big Wong.  Not sure what that was in reference to.

Also a Big Wong in New York's Chinatown (67 Mott Street). Never eaten there but it gets good reviews at Epinions (for whatever that's worth) and you gotta love the name :cool:

Ever since I heard the name last year I've wanted eat at Crime Lab in Vancouver. Apparently the building was actually once a crime lab.

Crime lab is one of my favourite places in Vancouver to hang out at :biggrin: . Not so much for the food but more for the 3oz martinis and atmosphere.

There used to be a punk club in Kenmare Sq in Boston called the Ratskeller (maybe still there) and upstairs was a rib place called the Hoodoo BBQ. Punk music and ribs. Waitresses with safety pin "adornments" damn good ribs....chocolate in the sauce if I remember correctly.

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

But who the hell would eat at The Gutter in Highland Park, CA? (You might as well call your restaurant "The Sewer.") Same for Bloodroot in Bridgeport, CT, or The Dead Fish in Crockett, CA, or even Raw Living Foods in San Francisco.

I ate at Bloodroot a long time ago, and if I recall the food was pretty decent. It's one of those feminist collective veggie places that were around in the '70s and has managed to stay open all this time. I think they even put a cookbook out.

Edited by Stephanie (log)