• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant Names

Deacon

When I lived in Albany NY working on a construction site, the guys used to hang out after work at a bar called Your Place.  "Hey, where you going after work?" "Your Place."

Used to be a bar in Council Bluffs, Iowa called "The Office" same logic.

"Where were you till midnight?"

Can anyone confirm the actual existence of the legendary "He's Not Here"?

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Actually, it is the people with mullets who toss the other species of mullets. What is the plural for mullet?  Mulleti?

www.mulletsgalore.com

Not for the fainthearted or easily offended.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Two interesting restaurant names that come to mind are Nosmo King in NYC and the now defunct Road Kill Cafe in Saratoga Springs.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I fondly remember a Chinese restaurant on Nanaimo Street here in Vancouver with the almost unbelievable moniker FOOK YUE. Unfortunately, due to the publicity it received when it was briefly closed down by the city health board a few years ago (its large neon sign made great fodder for newspapers and TV news reports), it sadly had to change its name.

Funny thing is, I can't remember what the new name is. Didn't have that problem with the old one. See what a catchy name can do?

Starnge Fruit is an allusion to the Billie Holiday song.

And a ghastly name for a smoothie bar.

A little like naming your salad bar "Soylent Greens."

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

But aren't there any  number of "Father's Office"  "The Library",  Your Sister's Place joints? So you can truthfully say you were at the Library, when you get home late.

In Montclair, NJ there is a restaurant called "The Office". I imagine people meeting there for illicit affairs, after calling home and saying "Honey, I'll be at The Office".

Somewhere there is a restaurant called "The Restaurant". I just know there is.

Plax... I own a "Hog's Breath is better than no breath at all" t-shirt.

Oh... also "Hooters". We all love that name, even if nobody really believes it has anything to do with the Owl present on their signs. I believe that there used to be a place in competition locally in Tampa, Florida called "Melons".

In NYC, there's a chain called "Daily Soup".

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

there used to be a place in Portland's chinatown called Hung Far Low. Never ate there.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

There used to be a punk club  in Kenmare Sq in Boston called the Ratskeller (maybe still there) and upstairs was a rib place called the Hoodoo BBQ.  Punk music and ribs. Waitresses with safety pin "adornments" damn good ribs....chocolate in the sauce if I remember correctly.

Nope, all gone now. Almost that whole block is being turned into a hotel.

=Somewhere there is a restaurant called "The Restaurant".  I just know there is.

"Le Restaurant", the flagship dining room at the Hotel Sofitel Melbourne

In Hackensack, NJ, there is a restaurant called "The Restaurant."

In a search this morning for a place for my husband and I to spend our anniversary, I ran across a restaurant in tokyo called the

Arty Farty Club

:blink::blink::blink:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

torakris, there are some hilarious examples of Engrish use. There was once a "God Burger". Perhaps still? This would make a fun thread on the Japan board.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Also in D.C. and kind of near Madam's Organ, in the Adams Morgan, is a place called The Grill From Ipanema.

The restaurant at the top of the Hoover Dam is called the Snacketeria. Apparently they have snacks in a cafeteria setting? What a draw.

Restaurants yet to open: Casa Role, serving only one-pot baked dishes. And a medieval restaurant that only offers crispy things, The Deep Friar.

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

And a medieval restaurant that only offers crispy things, The Deep Friar.

This...

I...

You....

I do not know whether to high-five you, or to add you to The List so I can deal with you more appropriately when I rule the world.

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.