• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
=Mark

Sara Moulton Cooks at Home

For me, at least, Sara Moulton comes across as very high on the "believeable" scale.

Maybe it's because she doesn't have a lot of outside publicity (Emeril's restaurant empire or Martha's legendary army of helpers come to mind), but you get the sense she can do it all herself.

And she's 50 and looks mid-30s.

I was wondering if she'd ever consider returning to being a restaurant chef? She was highly praised at La Tulipe.

Edited by yvonne johnson (log)

I was wondering if she'd ever consider returning to being a restaurant chef?  She was highly praised at La Tulipe.

She was at La Tulipe?!?!? Oh, their apricot soufflé!! :wub:

rich   

She's one of the best and very, very sexy!!!! There's no sign for drooling is there?

But alas, she's married and a mother of two or three. I forget if it's two girls and a boy or a girl and a boy.

The book is excellent so far - just got it yesterday.

I would expect nothing less from someone who had Julia Child as a mentor - (not the sexy part).

crumbs   

So the article says.....

Moulton, 50, says she had not written a book previously because she had just been too busy. After all, she has three jobs: program host at the Food Network, chef at Gourmet and food editor at ABC's "Good Morning, America."

And about the children.....

She also is the mother of 16-year-old Ruthie and 12-year-old Sam.

I like her because she actually makes mistakes in the kitchen! :laugh: Plus she's had some interesting guests along the way. My husband isn't quite as big of a fan, though.

Debi

No, and it's hard to believe. But the story =Mark linked us to says so, and also that Moulton has been in kitchens for 25 years. On the Food Network website it says that "After years of training and working in restaurants, her displeasure over the industry's sexism led her to co-found the New York Women's Culinary Alliance—an 'old girls' network' designed to help women in the food business—in 1982." She's been in the business a long time.

http://www.foodtv.com/celebrities/moultonb...0,3400,,00.html

Edited by gfron1 (log)

elyse   

She's my fave. I've a little girl crush too. I've always been impressed that she admits to her mistakes on air, like mistaking the salt for sugar in baking. How many other tv chefs would admit to that? Makes cooking more accessible to home cooks.

tan319   

Wow!

50!(although I'm getting very close to it myself)

when I still lived in NYC a few years ago, I saw her walking across W23rd st. to go into the Burritoville there and I thought she was 25 or something!

To me she is supercute, a really good cook and I loved watching her 'cooking live' show mainly because of the guests she would have.

Thanks to the early rising infant in our house, I saw a rerun of Sara's Secrets last weekend, and it reminded me of why she is such a breath of fresh air on the so-often overblown FTV network. She delivers a range of information that is just as thoughtful as the justly admired Alton Brown: either the tips are things I don't know -- and thus I appreciate them -- or they are things that I think are important for others to know -- and thus I appreciate them. And the show's style suits me a lot better, more folksy Julia and less flashy, skittish MTV-video. No clichés involving kicking or exclamations that rhyme with spam, either, which is always a plus.

Turns out she's got her own website these days, which tells that she's doing a signing in Ohio this weekend, for fans in the Buckeye State. There's some other interesting stuff there, too....

Toliver   

She has one show currently running, "Sara's Secrets". The bad news was that in an interview from a couple months ago she stated that her show wasn't the kind of show that the powers-that-be of the FN want on their air anymore. I believe she also said her show would not be renewed.

Too bad...her other show "Cooking Live" was an extraordinarily well done show. It was one of my favorite FN shows.

coquus   

I must admit that i'm one of her deserters. I don't know why, I used to watch her all the time, then one day the magic wasn't there anymore. Not that I watch any FN anymore, I really can't think of a show that I really watch on the FN, except Iron Chef. I still love Sara though, she is the most likeable person on the FN, alot in common with my own mother. It's ironic my mother's mother also reminded me of Julia. I really can't think of another program on there. Please FN, please keep her. She's one of the most well connected, knowledgable folks that you've got.

To me she is supercute, a really good cook and I loved watching her 'cooking live' show mainly because of the guests she would have.

The very first time I saw Anthony Bourdain on TFN was on the evening version of Cooking Live. I think they were doing French Bistro food, and I thought he seemed....less than comfortable. I can't remember who the other guy was on the show.

Of all the female hosts on TFN, Sara Moulton was definitely my favourite. Some slightly annoying habits (I remember she often used the phrase, "turkey lurkey") but no where near as many as the current crop of hosts. Plus she seemed to really know what she was doing.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Chris Hennes
      I just got a copy of Grace Young's "Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge"—I enjoyed cooking from "Breath of a Wok" and wanted to continue on that path. Does anyone else have this book? Have you cooked anything from it?

Here was dinner tonight:

Spicy Dry-Fried Beef (p. 70)

I undercooked the beef just a bit due to a waning propane supply (I use an outdoor propane-powered wok burner), but there's nothing to complain about here. It's a relatively mild dish that lets the flavors of the ingredients (and the wok) speak. Overall I liked it, at will probably make it again (hopefully with a full tank of gas).

• By CanadianSportsman
      Greetings,

I've cooked several recipes from Keller's "Bouchon" the last couple of weeks, and have loved them all! At the moment (as in right this minute) I'm making the boeuf Bourguignon, and am a little confused about the red wine reduction. After reducing the wine, herbs, and veg for nearly an hour now, I'm nowhere near the consistancy of a glaze that Keller specifies. In fact, it looks mostly like the veg is on the receiving end of most of it. Is this how the recipe is meant to be? Can anybody tell me what kind of yield is expected? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you, kindly. 
    • By Paul Fink
      This unfortunately titled book changed my life. I always enjoyed cooking and idealized Julia Child &
      Jacque Pepin. But I was a typical home cook. I would see a recipe and try to duplicate it little understanding about what I was doing.

Cooking the Nouvelle Cuisine in America talked about a philosophy of cooking. It showed me that there is more depth to cooking. A history. A philosophy.
      The recipes are very approachable and you can make them on a budget from grocery store ingredients. I read it as a grad student in Oregon, in the late 80's I had access to lots of fresh ingredients. And some very nice wines, cheap! I was suppose to be studying physics but I end up learning more about wine & cooking.
    • By Smokeydoke
      Here is the discussion thread.
      Here is the Amazon link.
      My first recipe was Mushroom Mapo Tofu p. 132  I was blown away by how good this tasted. Very spicy! Very authentic. I didn't miss the meat at all. I told Mr. Smokey I'd add ground pork next time and he said it didn't need it. Mr. Smokey refused pork? Ha!
      Definitely a keeper and maybe a regular rotation spot.
      If I had anything negative to say, it would be the dish wasn't very filling. The recipe is suppose to serve four but the two of us finished it off, no problem, and Mister wasn't full afterwards. A soup, or an appetizer could be paired with the dish to make a heartier meal.
      Note: I did receive a complimentary copy of the book to review, but all opinions of the book and recipes are mine.

• By JoNorvelleWalker
      Started in on Rob's book tonight.  Nice pictures, interesting philosophy.  The bit about grapevines reminded me ever so much about my balcony.  My grapevine has been growing ten or twenty years, planted by the birds.  Never a grape, ever.  Only recently did I learn that unlike European grapes, the native grapevines are sexual.  This one is undoubtedly a boy.  He provides lovely leaves and shade, and something for the tomatoes to hang onto.