• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Corn Cob Stock

Shel_B

I often enjoy hoe cakes, sometimes called Johnny cakes, and also by other names. It's a simple recipe that has its roots in Native American cooking. Over the years, the original recipe has been "improved" with the addition of other ingredients besides the original corn and water, such as white flour, sugar, and so on. I make mine by closely following traditional methods.

Yesterday I saw a video where someone made stock from corn cobs which were left over from cutting the kernels from the cobs. I want to try this, and use the corn cob stock instead of water in my hoe cakes. Unfortunately, there ain't no fresh corn around here at this time of the year. However, I've seen frozen corn-on-the-cob and I'm wondering if the frozen cobs would make a decent stock.  The ingredients are just cobs and water, and

maybe a touch of salt.  Would I be wasting my time using frozen cobs, or do you think it's worth a try?  I'm inclined to give it a shot, but would also appreciate some feedback.

Another thought would be to use frozen kernels, whiz 'em around in the Vitamix with some water, and then heat and strain the results. Any thoughts on that technique?

... Shel

I've made it occasionally.  It doesn't take long to cook...and hour maybe.

Just water, corn and some salt.

I've done frozen cobs and it worked fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Shel_B said:

Would I be wasting my time using frozen cobs, or do you think it's worth a try? 

I think frozen cobs would work for this purpose.  I usually make my cob broth in the Instant Pot. See Kenji's comparison of a stove top simmer vs pressure cook for corn cob broth here

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Shel_B Options above are worth trying, since we're talking little money and an easy experiment. But have you tried Berkeley Bowl for fresh corn? They have had fresh corn, presumably from Mexico, all winter, and usually it's been decent. We bought some just two weeks ago to make corn and mushroom quesadillas. Not as sweet as local summer corn, but worth using in various dishes.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

@Shel_B Options above are worth trying, since we're talking little money and an easy experiment. But have you tried Berkeley Bowl for fresh corn? They have had fresh corn, presumably from Mexico, all winter, and usually it's been decent. We bought some just two weeks ago to make corn and mushroom quesadillas. Not as sweet as local summer corn, but worth using in various dishes.

@Katie Meadow, thanks for the tip.  I hadn't even thought about looking for corn this time of year. I'll check BB when next I'm over there.

... Shel

10 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I think frozen cobs would work for this purpose.  I usually make my cob broth in the Instant Pot. See Kenji's comparison of a stove top simmer vs pressure cook for corn cob broth here

Great to know. I got the inspiration to use corn stock from Jason Farmer who used the Instant Pot.

... Shel

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, AAQuesada said:

I find using the corn silk as well makes the best stock 

Will have to try that after I get my pressure cooker back in the kitchen I’ll be moving into.   Unfortunately the size of our new condo on the beach is really tiny.  Went from a 4000 sq ft home on an acre  to a 2  BR condo just under 2000 sq ft for more $ than my house.  But the view is pretty good. 🤷🏼‍♂️🩴🕶️

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, AAQuesada said:

I find using the corn silk as well makes the best stock 

@AAQuesadaAre you suggesting just corn silk or in combination with cobs and perhaps remnant kernels?

Edited by Shel_B (log)
  • Delicious 1

... Shel

23 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

Will have to try that after I get my pressure cooker back in the kitchen I’ll be moving into.   Unfortunately the size of our new condo on the beach is really tiny.  Went from a 4000 sq ft home on an acre  to a 2  BR condo just under 2000 sq ft for more $ than my house.  But the view is pretty good. 🤷🏼‍♂️🩴🕶️

What kind of pressure cooker takes up more than 2000 sq feet? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Shel_B said:

@AAQuesadaAre you suggesting just corn silk or in combination with cobs and perhaps remnant kernels?

Yes that is correct. You'll find the silk give you way more flavor than the cobs do but yes I use it all not to be wasteful. 

• Like 1

one of our "family dishes" is a corn "casserole"

the usual is canned creamed corn, evaporated milk, flour, sugar and fresh kernel corn.

now, every summer when the sweet corn hits it's peak,,, I husk&cut the kernels off, spread on a pan & freeze.

once frozen, whack the corn into chunks and put in freezer bags - typically 4 dozen ears.

I thawed and stick blenderized a batch of kernels in lieu of canned cream corn - stellar results

long shaggy dog story to convey:  chopping up/blenderizing/FP'ing home kernels works very well.

not heard about corn cob stock, but it's on my list for this summer.....

keeping in mind,,,, this is corn that was picked in the AM and in the freezer by 4.....

with a little help . . .

cdcombo1.thumb.jpg.ab8c01e36cd8ace128523eb5df3db1a5.jpg

23 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

What kind of pressure cooker takes up more than 2000 sq feet? 

The rented  condo I’m in now is 800 sq ft

Not much room and it’s full of the owners cookware 

The one we are buying is 1821 sq ft so hope to bring some more. of my kitchen stuff from out of storage 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scubadoo97 said:

The rented  condo I’m in now is 800 sq ft

Not much room and it’s full of the owners cookware 

The one we are buying is 1821 sq ft so hope to bring some more. of my kitchen stuff from out of storage 

Dorm rooms are bigger

• Like 1