• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mock Pies and Pie Fillings

Two of my biggest accounts are transitioning to a nut-free kitchen so we (the bakery) are likely going to follow suit.  It was hard for me to give up making our fabulous peanut butter cheesecake 18 years ago but it was safer to be a peanut-free kitchen when I started the bakery.  And now with so many people avoiding tree nuts due to allergies, I'm looking for things that can stand in for nuts.  I was Today Years Old when I learned about Oatmeal Pie as a stand-in for pecan pie.  I'd never heard of such a thing; I knew of the Ritz cracker Mock Apple Pie (although I've never tasted it) so I used the filling from our pecan tart recipe and used Old Fashioned Oats and I was very happy with the result.  Mostly because I think our filling recipe is excellent (it comes from Rose Levy Beranbaum's Pie and Pastry Bible, and if you use this recipe - use the Lyle's Golden Syrup if you can get it.  This filling recipe is top notch!).  We experimented with toasting the oats and blitzing them in the food processor for a few seconds just to break them up and we liked it both ways (plain, and toasted/ground).  I'm glad I have something I can use to replace our mini pecan tart.  (there's 20 selections on the petite pastry menu so there's lots of options for clients to choose from - including gluten free, dairy free, and vegan choices). 

I started wondering about other "mock" pies.  What have you heard of, made, enjoyed (or wouldn't do it again!)?

• Like 5

I have enjoyed chocolate pudding made from avocado as a dairy-free option.

• Like 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

In DC-Metro when working, our office was awash in free zucchinis brought in by home gardeners.  

I always made this pie, though I made it in a 9  x 13 dish.  Tastes just like apple and because of the way you cut the zucchini, it looks like apples too.  My mother found the recipe in one of her 'church members' cookbooks. 

8 c. zucchini peeled, seeds removed.  Cut in half lengthwise, then scoop out seeds before slicing to mimic apple slices.
2/3 c. fresh lemon juice
1 c sugar
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
Crust:
4 c flour
2 c sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3 sticks butter
3/4 tsp. cinnamon

Cook the zucchini slices in the lemon juice till tender...20-30 min.  Add 1 c. sugar and spices.  
To make crust mixture: combine dry ingredients, then cut in butter. 
Add 1 loose cup of the crust mixture to thicken the zucchini mixture.  Cool zucchini mixture.  
Put 1/2 remaining crust mixture into greased 13x9 pan, press flat.  Bake 375 for 10 min.  Then put zucchini mixture over crust.  Sprinkle with cinnamon.  Distribute rest of crust mixture over zucchini.  Bake 375 for 35 to 40 min.  

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

If you can make the Moose Farts, then I should make this pie.  But, I'll use Biscoff cookies since I have them in my freezer.

🤣

We need to come up with a cooler name like Moose Farts......

If I remember right @Kim Shookmade this too and liked it.  It's really refreshing on a hot summer day.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Shelby said:

🤣

We need to come up with a cooler name like Moose Farts......

If I remember right @Kim Shookmade this too and liked it.  It's really refreshing on a hot summer day.

Moose farts…refreshing???  Clearly, I’ve been missing out!  
They sound sorta like 7-layer bars (minus the nuts and butterscotch chips) but rolled into balls instead of baked. 
I might need to add butterscotch chips and nuts if I try them!

9 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Moose farts…refreshing???  Clearly, I’ve been missing out!  
They sound sorta like 7-layer bars (minus the nuts and butterscotch chips) but rolled into balls instead of baked. 
I might need to add butterscotch chips and nuts if I try them!

I may be wrong here, but I think refreshing referred to the pie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oatmeal pie.. coincidentally made this pie on Friday from “Hoosier Mama Book of Pie” .  I had been thinking of making the Hoosier sugar cream pie which I’ve made previously but when I happened on oatmeal pie , I thought I’d give it a try.  It was delicious!  This is a 6” pie, so scaled down from the original.

IMG_5861.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 2

12 hours ago, ElsieD said:

If you can make the Moose Farts, then I should make this pie.  But, I'll use Biscoff cookies since I have them in my freezer.

OK now I want to know: what are moose farts and how can we make them!

The lime pie reminds me of banana pudding where you  layer nilla wafers with banana cream; I also think lime and Biscoff cookies sound fantastic.

• Like 2

@JeanneCake I’ll dm a photo from the book, it was maple syrup and you could taste it.

I also made a ramekin’s worth sans crust and it was equally delicious.  For those not nut adverse, I would add a couple of tablespoons chopped, toasted pecans to the filling. ( did not use the cloves) I used Quaker Quick Oats as that’s what I had in house.

IMG_5866.jpeg

Edited by OlyveOyl
Addendum (log)
  • Like 5

17 hours ago, Shelby said:

That lime and Ritz cracker pie is fantastic.  Perfect for hot weather and I've never had anyone not like it.  I meant to try other versions - lemon, orange, grapefruit - but I've never gotten around to it.  Maybe this summer!  

• Like 1

@rotuts would you like a picture of the recipe?  Since it mimics the taste of pecan pie (and an oatmeal cookie) but only has oats, if nuts are not a problem, adding a few tablespoons would be a nice addition to the recipe. I also made some of the filling in a ramekin without crust and it was DH approved!

Edited by OlyveOyl (log)