• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Using praline in a filled chocolate

Britney

Hi friends! Has anyone had success using a praline in a bonbon without experiencing any fat migration? Mine always seem to weep or leak out the bottom seal. I would like to try to use it as is instead of creating a giaduja. I usually use it as a layer not as the whole bonbon. Any suggestions would be lovely. I’m sorry if this has been addressed before but I couldn’t find anything.

You could add some milk chocolate to the praline to stabilize it a bit. Texture of course will change. 

or put a disc of a crunchy layer or something between it and the bottom.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Britney said:

Hi friends! Has anyone had success using a praline in a bonbon without experiencing any fat migration? Mine always seem to weep or leak out the bottom seal. I would like to try to use it as is instead of creating a giaduja. I usually use it as a layer not as the whole bonbon. Any suggestions would be lovely. I’m sorry if this has been addressed before but I couldn’t find anything.

Can you explain what you mean by "a praline" and how it differs from gianduja?

Unfortunately, I think that's just the nature of nut pastes.  Fats that are liquid at room temp are going to ooze, migrate, etc.

You could try piping the ganache then piping the praline into the center of the ganache so there's a layer of ganache between the praline paste and the shell.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jim D. said:

Can you explain what you mean by "a praline" and how it differs from gianduja?

By praline i mean carmelized sugar and nuts forming a paste. And Gianduja- a combination of nut paste and chocolate. 

12 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

Unfortunately, I think that's just the nature of nut pastes.  Fats that are liquid at room temp are going to ooze, migrate, etc.

You could try piping the ganache then piping the praline into the center of the ganache so there's a layer of ganache between the praline paste and the shell.

Thank you- I will give that a try! Also, after asking around I learned that adding cocoa butter and silk might help with the fat migration while keeping the praline the star of the show. I will try both ideas! 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

You could add some milk chocolate to the praline to stabilize it a bit. Texture of course will change. 

or put a disc of a crunchy layer or something between it and the bottom.

Thanks Kerry- I think I am going to have to use some chocolate or cocoa butter to stabilize it. I’m going to try it with cocoa butter first to see if I can keep the caramelized nut flavor in the forefront.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 10/17/2023 at 11:43 PM, Britney said:

Thank you- I will give that a try! Also, after asking around I learned that adding cocoa butter and silk might help with the fat migration while keeping the praline the star of the show. I will try both ideas! 

Hi! Have you experienced more with this?  I love it when I make praline and always want to use it straightforwardly- I think when turns into Gianduja the forward roasted nut flavor lessens considerably. Just curious if you experimented with stabilizing it with cocoa butter or blonde chocolate.