• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

Stir fried pork with fresh 松茸菌 (sōng róng jūn) aka matsutake. Garlic, ginger, chilli, Chaoshan fish sauce, soy sauce, scallions. Served with rice.

_20240401213432.thumb.jpg.4de83b0c9d34026ab54ef2358e829c94.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

My husband's Easter plate: roasted rack of lamb with asparagus risotto and roasted broccolini.  Nephew skipped the risotto in favor of mac and cheese with his, and my sister and I skipped the lamb in favor of extra broccolini.

rackoflamb.thumb.jpg.d1e915a73cab9d4b8e0ef8fb6628f565.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 5

Mushroom ragu with rice noodles - ragu was made with brown button mushrooms, oyster mushrooms, king oyster mushrooms, carrots, shallots, garlic, seitan (only chorizo flavored was unfortunately available), smoked paprika, teriyaki sauce, cilantro, jalapeno, gochugaru and mushroom broth

IMG_9054.thumb.jpeg.251c26754dfdc046ab552af3f6853e34.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Nephew had yesterday off from work so he offered to cook dinner using recipes from a YouTube cooking channel he likes to watch.  He made chicken tikka masala, garlic naan, and a curried rice with fruit and nuts.  I contributed the saag paneer because I have a lot of spinach to use up, and helped with kitchen clean up.  

indianfood2.thumb.jpg.2c358c292e1d4e3c1c2a9dd27ee46ba5.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 4

Last night's dinner.
I decided to buy halibut steaks this time instead of the filets.
And although the fish is the same and tasted wonderful, I decided there is a reason I never buy steaks.
I hate bones.
It was a work night so dinner was quick and simple.
GrilledHalibutSteaksApril1st20241.thumb.jpg.ffda993e1840619c150419ad630ef341.jpg
Roasted potato wedges and fish grilled in a cast iron grill pan and finished in the oven.
GrilledHalibutSteaksApril1st20242.thumb.jpg.dd72418e33b87827b52427526f3c905f.jpg

Served over spinach with a lemon brown butter.
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 6

PXL_20240402_194527921.LONG_EXPOSURE-01.COVER.thumb.jpg.78bec43f960f3fb8914f5f5a940aa2a0.jpg

Chicken on orzo, made by the wife. Quite a new addition to our menu and the third or fourth time she's done it but getting better and better.

• Like 16
  • Delicious 1

Channeling Rome...

03D703F2-9BFC-4A22-BEEA-F6A612357694.thumb.jpeg.51fb534d2a926110ec4a71d9ff89db95.jpeg

Mezze rigatoni with fresh artichoke hearts, shallots, garlic, lemon zest and Pecorino Romano.

7D70B18F-A9AF-49C2-B9EC-F100B7F22C29.thumb.jpeg.39c29c69b5ee5f3950b5b725ade86c3a.jpeg

Endive dressed with anchovies, garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Spicy shrimp with garlic, Shaoxing, soy sauce and scallions. 海蜇 (hǎi zhé), Rhopilema esculenta, an edible jellyfish. Rice.

dinner.thumb.jpg.bc3b71578fc752392951764ba7d162db.jpg

• Like 10

Mark Twain

Lo mein with a 50-50 blend of ground chicken and mushrooms, various peppers that needed to be used, and an entire head of cabbage.  Only four more cabbages in the crisper to conquer (until the next one comes from my CSA).

lomein.thumb.jpg.86861ac3025f4a6ee62b3adc9989e8c5.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Spicy shrimp with garlic, Shaoxing, soy sauce and scallions. 海蜇 (hǎi zhé), Rhopilema esculenta, an edible jellyfish. Rice.

dinner.thumb.jpg.bc3b71578fc752392951764ba7d162db.jpg

Could you please describe the texture of the edible jellyfish? Is it raw or cooked?

@rotuts---Homemade gravy sauce---  shell filling Ricotta,1 egg, 5 cheese blend shredded Italian, bit of sugar and nutmeg--all to eyeball  -- bake covered @325.  30-49 mins./  last 15 uncovered 375==== also pre cook shells then fill

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Its good to have Morels

@Paul Bacino

nice.

pleased to see the nutmeg in the filling

I always try to remember the small amount of freshly grated nutmeg 

in items ' white :

mashed potatoes , bechamel , etc.

just enough to notice something extra is there

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

Could you please describe the texture of the edible jellyfish? Is it raw or cooked?

The jellyfish is gelatinous with the texture of a particularly al dente pasta. It isn't cooked as such but is processed. and cured before being sold. I have written more about that in this topic.

Note: of the 4000+ species of jellyfish, only around a dozen are edible and they must be processed properly to be safe to eat. Don't be trying to eat what you come across at your local beach!

• Like 3

Mark Twain

11 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

The jellyfish is gelatinous with the texture of a particularly al dente pasta. It isn't cooked as such but is processed. and cured before being sold. I have written more about that in this topic.

Note: of the 4000+ species of jellyfish, only around a dozen are edible and they must be processed properly to be safe to eat. Don't be trying to eat what you come across at your local beach!

Interesting - thanks. Although our waters are home to lots of jellyfish, I have never thought "I should take those home and eat them." When I was a kid, my sister got stung by a Persian Man-of-War and promptly passed out on the beach and required a brieft hospital stay, so I have always thought of them as predators rather than food.

• Like 1

I didn't want to spend time cooking so I just made steak on the grill and mashed potato cakes.  I cooked one potato in the microwave and it made 4 cakes, just enough for the two of us. Charlie asked for his steak to be cut up like for skewers.  He had it like at a Japanese Steak House, with rice and Yum Yum sauce and dipped the potato cakes in soy sauce.  He said it reminded him of Korean cakes that way.

IMG_1549.jpg

IMG_1550.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

Continuing my quest to use up the long storage CSA vegetables that have been languishing in my fridge for lack of ideas, last night's dinner was a soup that was 50% potato and 50% small white and green daikon radishes.  When treated like a potato, the radishes blended nicely into the soup.  I prepared it like a mashed potato soup with cheddar, bacon and chives to make sure my nephew would not notice the radishes and complain. Everyone really enjoyed it.  I made a loaf of crusty bread to have with it.

potatodaikonsoup.thumb.jpg.dcf4a0355877a400722102a612a4cb42.jpg

bread.thumb.jpg.2aa402a8cafa42099efa847c0dfd464d.jpg

My next long storage vegetable to try and use up are watermelon radishes.  I have a gallon sized ziplock bag full of them, and more are coming in today's box.  There's only so many radishes on salads that one can eat!

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2