• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2024

liuzhou

Swiss chard tart for lunch today, along with an endive salad and lightly charred peppers.

The tart has ricotta, eggs, pecorino and a huge bunch of chard from the FM.

Dessert was a slice of plum cake.

IMG_6391.jpeg

IMG_6392.jpeg

IMG_6397.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

Posted (edited)

Between yesterday and today I made pork stock. About 6 pounds of pork ribs with 2 pounds of feet yielded 6 quarts of intensely gelatinous stock, so much that the ladel just sits right on top when cold

PXL_20240527_151806624.thumb.jpg.4cb785a89cccf61b70001351ee281433.jpg

One of the primary uses for it was lunch today,

PXL_20240527_173118291.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.29f7a04fc3a624a5f1618f080525edca.jpg

Ayam buah keluak - chicken in black nut curry, one of our favorite Singapore Nyonya dishes.

Edited by KennethT (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 2

Snacky lunch. Red Bean, Walnut, and Pomegranate Pâté from Cool Beans by Joe Yonan with olives, pickle-y stuff, walnuts.  Triscuits not shown. 

FB1070CA-D5CF-4073-87BF-CDC9E6D583F0_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.6c10faac0d0aa7427b69496fa284ef27.jpeg
This pâté LOOKS almost exactly like a chicken liver pâté.  The taste, of course, is entirely different with sweet and tart pomegranate molasses and bright fresh garlic largely overwhelming the more earthy flavors of the beans and walnuts. Pickles are the recommended accompaniment so I started out with those skinny yellow piparra peppers in the front of the plate and some peperoncini.  I enjoyed the heat but they were kind of piling on with more tartness.  Olives came to mind and sure enough, some bashed up some Castelvetrano olives were just the ticket.  Good thing as I've got quite a bit of that pâté!

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

Posted (edited)

The other day, I made Rancho Gordo cicerchia beans with shiitake and brown beech mushrooms over polenta for breakfast.  On Wednesday, I tossed the leftover beans and mushrooms with pasta.

AB0918E9-77A7-439F-98BC-A36DC765FB0C_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.0988c3dc67a19878ed10cb759c474954.jpeg

Yesterday, I picked up my weekly fish share - rock crab claws - so I made the Butter Garlic Crab from Dishoom and stuffed it in a toasted brioche bun. 

F32FAACD-66B1-43B6-8673-BC67681DF976_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.2c9fea6fad410a9a305909a417a86346.jpeg

The recipe cooks plenty of garlic in butter, adds ginger, green onion and diced green chiles, then the crab and finishes with lime juice, dill and cilantro. I liked that it was flavorful but still let the crab be the star. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 3

Ham sandwich, sprouts, olive salad on a homemade mini baguette with rosemary, Evoo and Maldon salt on top.

Dessert was an oversized shortcake with local strawberries.

IMG_6420.jpeg

IMG_6421.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 3

PXL_20240602_163011071.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.c69bad67de5b8e84c8ca6d6a30035761.jpg

Teochew Bak Kut Teh, how I've missed you!!!  The ridiculously strong pork stock made last week simmered with a lot of garlic and crushed peppercorns from Sarawak, Malaysia. The garlic becomes so sweet....  Made this healthy by using chicken breast and "fresh" knife peeled noodles.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Yesterday’s lunch was sliced chicken breast with arugula sprouts on a homemade mini baguette.

Continuing the strawberrypalooza, a sponge cake liberally moistened with eau de vie Framboise/sugar syrup.

IMG_6447.jpeg

IMG_6449.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

No picture as it was quickly moved to the table by partner and friend before I could snap one. But, yesterdays lunch was a pile of picky stuff- 2 cracker types, cheeses (Tillamook Habanero , PepperJack, a sharp cheddar (smoked by me and finally unearthed from the freezer), and a honey cheddar. Prosciutto, capicola, 2 salamis (one spicy) for the meats. And an array of pickles- beets, bread and butters, tiny spicy gherkins, and blue cheese olives rounded out the offerings.

• Like 6

Hunter, fisherwoman, gardener and cook in Montana.

Lunch kind of looked like a hot mess, but turned out tasty (office lunch necessitates creativity). Had a small amount of leftover fettucine Alfredo-ish with broccoli (pretty bland). Purchased a small piece of grilled salmon at the local supermarket, flaked and warmed it in the microwave just a bit, tossed it into the hot pasta, and sprinkled some furikake and fresh black pepper on top to add more flavor. Having a little jar of furikake in the office has been a smart move!

• Like 4

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Duck + Lamb Kefta Tagine  from The New Mediterranean Table by Sam Wadi.  I've posted about this before

I discovered local lamp producer and have made quite a few meatballs out of lamb.  So turns out the texture of duck is not the same as lamb...

so about 8oz of Duck + 16 oz of Lamb = 2nd+ time we had this.

20240611_111233.thumb.jpg.339c03dc980bac52186529d562901b08.jpg

Sauce is still amazing.  Tomato, Egg, Urfa Biber Harissa, Preserved Lemon.

Now with lamb - one of my favorite recipes.

Edited by Raamo (log)
  • Like 7

Pork tenderloin au jus, a pilaf of farro, fideos and rice, a little basil oil and fresh snipped basil.

Dessert was a slice of apricot pistachio frangipane tart.

IMG_6498.jpeg

IMG_6496.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Berry bowl from my preferred spot in town- acai base,strawberries, blueberries, banana, bee pollen,granola, honey and the hardest most astringent kiwi ever. 

20240612_110224.thumb.jpg.4d2fe9bf5089f82ae8b3d477d175debb.jpg

• Like 4

Hunter, fisherwoman, gardener and cook in Montana.

Two recipes from Night + Market by Kris Yenbamroong. Grilled Sweet Corn with Coconut Glaze (recipe online here) and "Thai" Steak Salad, which he describes as, "...a Thai guy doing an impression of the Thai beef salad you'd find at most American Thai restaurants but filtered through the lens of the LA summer backyard barbecue." 

EC2C7B03-5E97-4935-A902-4DB7F96E238B_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.9f93ecaa8d52afde2a34e0316ffbb48f.jpeg

I overcooked the corn because I looked at the 20 min grilling time and thought, heck, I have time to make that toasted rice powder that I was planning on leaving out of the salad and lost track of time. 

25465B50-EF0D-4B50-8C52-8877C3C55F9A_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.003653369a50baca003937463b5eb0e4.jpeg

The toasted rice powder, shown mid-toast above, with galangal, lemongrass and makrut lime leaves, smells amazing and I can't wait to use it in other recipes but the small pinch sprinkle over top does not make or break this salad!

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

50 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Two recipes from Night + Market by Kris Yenbamroong. Grilled Sweet Corn with Coconut Glaze (recipe online here) and "Thai" Steak Salad, which he describes as, "...a Thai guy doing an impression of the Thai beef salad you'd find at most American Thai restaurants but filtered through the lens of the LA summer backyard barbecue." 

EC2C7B03-5E97-4935-A902-4DB7F96E238B_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.9f93ecaa8d52afde2a34e0316ffbb48f.jpeg

I overcooked the corn because I looked at the 20 min grilling time and thought, heck, I have time to make that toasted rice powder that I was planning on leaving out of the salad and lost track of time. 

25465B50-EF0D-4B50-8C52-8877C3C55F9A_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.003653369a50baca003937463b5eb0e4.jpeg

The toasted rice powder, shown mid-toast above, with galangal, lemongrass and makrut lime leaves, smells amazing and I can't wait to use it in other recipes but the small pinch sprinkle over top does not make or break this salad!

Interesting.  I always thought that the toasted rice powder was made from glutinous rice rather than jasmine.... then again, I haven't done Thai cooking in a long time so I might not be remembering right

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KennethT said:

Interesting.  I always thought that the toasted rice powder was made from glutinous rice rather than jasmine.... then again, I haven't done Thai cooking in a long time so I might not be remembering right

So, this book happens to be the “book of the month” in the cookbook group I participate in. The author says either can be used. A Thai member of the cookbook group quizzed her mom in Thailand about this and was told that she most often used glutinous rice but had frequently used jasmine rice and thought both were fine.  I’ve got Japanese rice for sushi, Arborio for risotto but haven’t gotten around to purchasing Thai glutinous rice but given 20 extra minutes in my cooking time, I decided to go ahead with the jasmine rice. When I get the glutinous rice, I’ll make another batch to compare. I can tell it will make a great breading for frying fish if don’t use it up in the recipes from the book. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

If i have a wet paste of spices that i am applying to meat, i add toasted rice powder to help the spices adhere to the meat.

Thanks!  That makes a lot of sense!

Had brought a salad from home for work lunch-seedless cuke, avocado, tomato, roasted yellow pepper, just a little lemon juice-intending to add some kind of protein. Went to TJ's and picked up the canned smoked trout fillet, quick lunch!

trout.jpg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde