• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help cleaning knife handles

Kim Shook

I have a couple of these ceramic knives:

IMG_4412.jpg.f13bb46e6fceaa50b5f1e61b9cdef189.jpg

...that large one and a small paring size one.  I don't use them a lot, but for certain applications they are great - green onions, for instance, which I hate to slice if I'm not using the ceramic knife.  Anyway, over the years, the handle (which started out with a sort of rubbery - but not flexible - feeling) developed a kind of gummy residue that makes holding it unpleasant.  Kind of a stickiness in places on the handle.  I've tried everything I can think of including all kinds of detergents, alcohol, applying oil, a baking soda paste, etc.  Does anyone have any ideas?  I actually tossed an umbrella awhile back that had a similar handle that I couldn't get cleaned.  I'd like to keep my knife.  Thanks!  

I have a slicer and a sharpening stick that have the same type of handle. Mine also has little grooves in it. When mine get sticky, I use Bar Keepers Friend and a nail brush. Takes care of them for about 6 months and then I have to do it over again.

• Thanks 1

I was having trouble with a couple of handles like that.  I have switched to Cascade Premium Plus pods for my dishwasher.  I ran them through the dishwasher and it completely cleaned them up.

• Thanks 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Goo Gone?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I think that "gumminess" is the rubbery material breaking down, not actually residue (and harsh solvents might make it worse). I had something I threw out recently due to a similar issue.

• Like 4

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I think your handles fall under the general heading of "rubber overlay".  There are different rubber compounds used, with different recommendations made for cleaning.  For example, one compound, Santoprene, is actually degraded by alcohol.

I once had a Kershaw overmolded knife, which got and stayed annoyingly sticky, no matter what.  Certain VW dashboards suffer the same fate.

Good luck.

Edited by Laurentius (log)
  • Like 2

@Kim ShookWhat brand ceramic knife is it? I have used Kyocera paring knives for years and I've never had a handle go gooey on me. The handles are not rubbery in any way, so maybe Kyocera are made of different material than some other types. And when I say knives I mean several replacement knives of the same size. Even though I don't use the ceramic knife for most tasks, over time they do chip and they do get dull. They can be sharpened, but that costs more than the price of one small knife. 

On 10/5/2023 at 1:04 PM, Katie Meadow said:

@Kim ShookWhat brand ceramic knife is it? I have used Kyocera paring knives for years and I've never had a handle go gooey on me. The handles are not rubbery in any way, so maybe Kyocera are made of different material than some other types. And when I say knives I mean several replacement knives of the same size. Even though I don't use the ceramic knife for most tasks, over time they do chip and they do get dull. They can be sharpened, but that costs more than the price of one small knife. 

The handle of my Kyocera ceramic knife is rosewood.  It does not feel sticky or rubbery.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 10/5/2023 at 1:04 PM, Katie Meadow said:

They are "Silvermark" brand.  I can find them on Amazon, but they are currently unavailable.  Mr. Kim bought those for me many years ago.  And, except for the stickiness, they are holding up amazingly well, for a cheap knife.  

On 10/6/2023 at 8:48 AM, Maison Rustique said:

It happened to my Ray Bans and I was told it breaks down over time and you just need to toss them. They were probably 30 years old, so I guess I can't complain.

Yeah.  I think you and the others who said this are probably right.