• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2023

liuzhou

27 minutes ago, C. sapidus said:

Spinach_chorizo_202310a.thumb.jpg.159e264e3891bae79bc80163fe9aa965.jpg

Spinach and chorizo with onion, chiles, garlic, tomato paste, fresh basil, thyme, and feta. Hit the spot.

After a few days on the road I was craving green things. Last night's dinner was kimchee and buttered microwave peas.  🙄

I burst out laughing cuz image screamed "swiss chard" which seems everywhere here & I like and just put on list. Sure your spinat was good.  Also giggled at the buttered kimchi & peas. Butter + kimchi seems a thing thse days but the peas - that was a twist. Thanks re your inspiring combos :

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, heidih said:

I burst out laughing cuz image screamed "swiss chard" which seems everywhere here & I like and just put on list. Sure your spinat was good.  Also giggled at the buttered kimchi & peas. Butter + kimchi seems a thing thse days but the peas - that was a twist. Thanks re your inspiring combos :

Swiss chard would have been fun. I haven't cooked that in too long, thanks for the suggestion!

Poor writing on my part - buttered peas were separate from the kimchee. You never know, though - buttered kimchee might be weirdly good? 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Haha 1

Having been on the sick list for a year and spending the last three months plus in bed, although I am recovering, I’m beginning to question my mental capacity to decide what to eat. I still rely on deliveries from local restaurants; some meals have been great, a few memorable for all the wrong reasons and most just dull, uninspired and sad. The worst is when I tire of Chinese and try to get something western - see the now notorious “fish and chips” I suffered recently.

Yesterday, for lunch, I went off-piste again and ordered a pizza from the same place I recently had a good ham and arugula / rocket pizza from. I have reordered that one in the past but this time I chose their pepperoni number.

_20231009181008.thumb.jpg.1edbdfc3233a1765dca9ea2129646d38.jpg

It wasn’t bad, but not great and would have benefited from another few minutes in whatever they are cooking them in. But edible. When I get my walking legs back, I’ll go and investigate the place. It’s about ten minutes walk or an hour’s hobble from my home.

The restaurant uses an English name – Commune. Whether that is a verb or a noun, I don't know. For, some unknown reason, with every order, they include one of these things. I now have three of the damn objects. Two are decorated with the restaurant name. OK. Advertising, I get.

commune1.thumb.jpg.781a2e1cc53315576b1293cc7f329b21.jpg

Some sort of cell phone accessory to be used like this, I think.

O1CN0164Zhsk2J7LHNdqRBU_!!83179374.jpg.58e52161707738319cb6e952cb78ad48.jpg

Image from online ad selling the things.

I never use my phone like this. I hold it to my ear and talk into it, as Mr Bell and nature intended! What are these things called in English? The Chinese name means ‘phone grips’.

My pepperoni pizza came with this one.

commune2.jpg.ef123121a6fa0d04023ceda375d2b0ea.jpg

It reads 幻师 (huàn shī) which literally means ‘fantasy master’ but more pragmatically ‘illusionist’. I think they are gaslighting me or maybe my pizza wasn’t really there! I'll probably unload their phone things on a passing communist, if I can ever find one.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

While I understand your frustration with your physical abilities or lack thereof, I think you are very fortunate in your choices for take out. If I had to rely on such, I would be limited to Subway, very bad "Chinese" food, mostly chain pizza joints or the "Maple Thai" restaurant in town where an order of Pad thai is about 25.00 Cdn. None of these options but for one independent pizza place offers anything that is worth the cost. Fortunately before I unexpectedly broke my hip, I had always had the habit of stocking the freezer. Oh, and in a complex near us there is a place called Queen India Jumbo Pizza. 'nough said about that.

• Sad 1

On 10/11/2023 at 5:34 AM, MaryIsobel said:

Fortunately before I unexpectedly broke my hip, I had always had the habit of stocking the freezer.

My freezers were, still are, well stocked but for months I couldn't walk to the kitchen. Even answering the door to my delivery people was difficult but closer to my bed.

Yes. I know I'm lucky in the vast choice I have.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Sad 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

What are these things called in English? The Chinese name means ‘phone grips’.

Same. Phone grips.  

And good for you for maintaining your sense of humor while dealing with this whole miserable situation.  Can’t be easy no matter how many meal choices are available!

• Thanks 1

Fried_rice_mushroom_202310.thumb.jpg.a1fab8dcdc72b20e75973703e53b3b34.jpg

Started out making mushroom tacos in Poblano cream sauce but remembered I had leftover rice so I made . . . this. 🙄

Fried rice with mushrooms, white onion, jalapeno and roasted Poblano chiles, fish sauce, and an egg. Non-traditional but yummy.

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

I usually don't post photos of takeout and/or delivery meals but I'm making an exception. Tacos from Electric Burrito. A bunch of shrimp (always perfectly cooked) and one chicken. Due to the time it takes to make them, I'm under the impression that they cook at least the shrimp to order - it's not sitting in a steam table.

PXL_20231015_173841363.thumb.jpg.ca518c44f46226224d09501cc01207b0.jpg

PXL_20231015_173854112.thumb.jpg.9376fec095decb500d5581c12462b773.jpg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

Eggplant_curry_202310.thumb.jpg.f2e7409e5f0c24214dde6d5f8f2a709c.jpg

Eggplant curry in coconut milk with sliced shallots, garlic, and jalapeno. Fennel seed, cumin, coriander, cayenne, turmeric, and a cinnamon stick for spices. Recipe from 'Cradle of Flavor'.

One of my favorites but Mrs. C does not like the texture of cooked eggplant. Hence, lunch for one. :rolleyes:

Edited by C. sapidus (log)
  • Like 2
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 1

PXL_20231022_172051238.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.61e2c52c9c008d46c3bee29b9ac540e9.jpg

First time cooking in about a week. Every day has been crazy traffic getting home from work. So I really missed home cooking.  Sichuan twice cooked mahi mahi with mushrooms and stir fried baby bok choi with garlic.

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

5 minutes ago, KennethT said:

PXL_20231022_172051238.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.61e2c52c9c008d46c3bee29b9ac540e9.jpg

First time cooking in about a week. Every day has been crazy traffic getting home from work. So I really missed home cooking.  Sichuan twice cooked mahi mahi with mushrooms and stir fried baby bok choi with garlic.

Your dinner looks delicious! The very best part of my retirement has been the lack of the 1 hour commute each way!

• Like 3

Inspired by a recent sandwich in the NYT, we had a delicious version of mortadella, ricotta and pistachio pesto. A very pleasing combination, I drained the ricotta a bit before using in the hollowed out roll and added a light drizzle of balsamic vinegar. We are definitely having this again!

IMG_3488.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

Lunch today at Peacock Garden; it's an amazing large open green space in the heart of downtown Ajijic.  

You don't really go for the food though today I had a good salmon baguette for only 120p (6.50 USD) with more salmon on it than is served at most eateries here at three times the price.  

But the real reason you go is for your dining companions.  They are more active at dusk when we eat dinner there, but this guy was pretty friendly.  fyi, peacock in Spanish is Pavo Real.  Literally, the Royal Turkey. 

pavo real.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, gulfporter said:

Lunch today at Peacock Garden; it's an amazing large open green space in the heart of downtown Ajijic.  

You don't really go for the food though today I had a good salmon baguette for only 120p (6.50 USD) with more salmon on it than is served at most eateries here at three times the price.  

But the real reason you go is for your dining companions.  They are more active at dusk when we eat dinner there, but this guy was pretty friendly.  fyi, peacock in Spanish is Pavo Real.  Literally, the Royal Turkey. 

pavo real.jpg

For a second, I thought they had peacock on the menu!

• Haha 1

Soon to be clean-out-fridge omelet.  Leftover roasted potatoes, orange bell pepper, MX bacon, fried onions/poblanos.  Mixed grated cheese.  

omelet.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1