• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pacojet Competitor? The Ninja Creami

andrewk512

1 hour ago, Amy D. said:

I will do tomorrow, will keep you updated as to what they say.

I'm with @blue_dolphinon this.  I had the same thing happen to me.  Before I found out it was out-of-warranty, they offered to send me the new 500 series Creami along with a couple of pints.  Here is a picture of mine.  Please let us know what happens.

20240714_171110.jpg

7 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

The Dana Cree book, Hello, My Name Is Ice Cream is really an excellent one for learning about ice cream and she uses interesting flavors.  While I wouldn't say the recipes are particularly time consuming, it's not a book of "superquick prep ideas," either so I don't want you to be disappointed. 

To give you an idea, her "Blank Slate Frozen Yogurt" that you can adapt with your own flavors, contains Greek yogurt, cream, milk or water, sugar, glucose and a texture agent of your choice (commercial stabilizer, guar or xanthan gum, tapioca starch or cornflour) and she adds the step of warming the dairy and sweeteners (you definitely want that heating step with cornflour or tapioca starch and some commercial stabilizers), before cooling and mixing in the yogurt.  She strains the mixture through a sieve at this point, but that's not necessary for the Creami.

One of the recipes in the book uses that Blank Slate Frozen Yogurt and mixes in chopped Amarena cherries and chocolate chunks so I'm going to try that one next!

Enabler! Couldn’t resist this time; I ordered Dana Cree’s book. 😉

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, curls said:

Enabler! Couldn’t resist this time; I ordered Dana Cree’s book. 😉

I think you will like it. It has chapters for custard ice cream, Philadelphia-style, sherbet and frozen yogurt.  I haven’t used too many of her mix-ins, some would get too pulverized by the Creami, but her method of melting chocolate with a little coconut oil makes a great melt-in-your mouth chocolate chip addition. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I think you will like it. It has chapters for custard ice cream, Philadelphia-style, sherbet and frozen yogurt.  I haven’t used too many of her mix-ins, some would get too pulverized by the Creami, but her method of melting chocolate with a little coconut oil makes a great melt-in-your mouth chocolate chip addition. 

Yes, I checked the book preview and book index on Amazon, looking forward to reading the book. Couldn’t you add the mixins using the Creami’s mix in cycle?

6 minutes ago, curls said:

Yes, I checked the book preview and book index on Amazon, looking forward to reading the book. Couldn’t you add the mixins using the Creami’s mix in cycle?

Yes, you can, although it works better with some things than others as the blades not only mix but also chop things to smithereens!