• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pacojet Competitor? The Ninja Creami

andrewk512

Hetty Lui McKinnon's book, Tenderheart, has a recipe for a no-churn Fennel and Black Pepper Ice Cream. It uses both fennel seeds and chopped fresh fennel which get blended with sweetened condensed milk, cream, ground black pepper and a little olive oil. It just gets frozen and scooped. I found my Blendtec did a good job on the fennel but I didn't care for the texture of the seed particles.  I could have put it through a sieve but decided to just freeze it in a Creami container and give it a spin to take care of those seedy bits and I thought it worked well. 

BDD73F72-9115-4B0F-8A70-E53E2B7B986A_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.7af8bba6efbbe60e3782b58529eab99a.jpeg

It's supposed to get a drizzle of olive oil but I forgot.  The flavors make for an appealing, almost palate-cleansing effect. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi: I tried a couple more recipes from Salt and Straw book that was gifted to me: strawberry balsamic and black pepper, and strawberry sorbet.  For SBB, I swapped out the milk base for coconut base, and replaced honey with sugar.  It tasted like the strawberry push pops I had as a kid in the 1980s omg what a blast to the past!  The Strawberry Sorbet calls for cilantro/coriander essence/extract, which I have no clue what this is so I added a few twigs of natural organic fresh home grown urban raised evil sourced unfair wage [free labor] non-d.o.p. cilantro.  This was delicious.. a variation of strawberry with mint!

The book itself is poorly written.  They don't list all the ingredients in the ingredients side bar of each recipe, and they are inconsistent with when they include parts of a recipe or move it out into its own paragraph.  It's like we have to read and comprehend the recipe, can't just skim and know what to do.  Bah.

That said, results are tasty, and they all keep a soft-serve texture after undergoing the ninja treament, maybe from all the corn syrup. :)

No pictures, sorry, I just ate each straight out of the cream-i jar and it's ugly.  If you can use your imagination, SBB was light pink with streaks of jam, the other was dark pink, borderline maroon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Ninja Creami Deluxe is on sale today at Kohls for $158 with free shipping - deal is good for today only (5/27/24).  Posted price is $230, then use TAKE10, HOME15, and CATCH15OFF on Kohls.com.  I'm super close to buying one at this price.  I'm going to think about it for a few hours and if it's not sold out when I check back, I'll pull the trigger on one.  I will also post this in the "sales., deals, and bargains" thread.  

On 5/27/2024 at 5:34 PM, fledflew said:

The Ninja Creami Deluxe is on sale today at Kohls for $158 with free shipping - deal is good for today only (5/27/24).  Posted price is $230, then use TAKE10, HOME15, and CATCH15OFF on Kohls.com.  I'm super close to buying one at this price.  I'm going to think about it for a few hours and if it's not sold out when I check back, I'll pull the trigger on one.  I will also post this in the "sales., deals, and bargains" thread.  

Did you buy it?