• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Chef Portland - Season 18

blue_dolphin

Anybody watching?  I’m catching up. I think I’m up to episode 7 although I went ahead and watched to tofu episode because I heard it was good. It was as was the surf and turf challenge with local foods harvested by indigenous peoples of the area. 
Minimal silliness in the challenges, aside from having to do their prep work on tree stumps in one episode. The drive-in movie thing was close but quite timely given their pandemic popularity.  
No silly house drama since they are staying at a hotel. 

• Like 2

I've seen most of them.  8PM is a bit early for me, so I stream when I remember.

Its entertaining. No villain has emerged and the right people are going home.

I still enjoy it.

• Like 2

Portland being the city where I lived for 36 years, it's a real treat to revisit some of the popular places.  It makes me proud to see the chefs behaving so civilly, unlike some we've seen in the past.   I'm hoping the show will give the city a well-needed shot in the arm.  Downtown has taken a terrible blow from last year's  destruction...many stores and buildings are boarded up and/or closed for good.

• Sad 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/14/2021 at 11:46 AM, gfweb said:

8PM is a bit early for me, so I stream when I remember.

I've just been streaming and didn't really know what time it was on here.  Since tonight is the finale, I thought I'd check so I can watch live.  Turns out, it's exactly the same time as you and 8 PM EDT means 5 PM PDT, which is more than a bit early for me.  For some reason, Sling seems to use just a single feed instead of having a multiple feeds for the different time zones that most cable providers use.  Maybe I watch with a cocktail and have Top Chef happy hour 🙃

@lindag, I agree with you on how pleasant it is to see the chefs getting along so well.  By and large, they all seem to like each other and they've showed way more instances of them helping each other out, sharing ingredients, etc. 

• Like 4

On 6/14/2021 at 12:25 PM, blue_dolphin said:

Anybody watching?  I’m catching up. I think I’m up to episode 7 although I went ahead and watched to tofu episode because I heard it was good. It was as was the surf and turf challenge with local foods harvested by indigenous peoples of the area. 
Minimal silliness in the challenges, aside from having to do their prep work on tree stumps in one episode. The drive-in movie thing was close but quite timely given their pandemic popularity.  
No silly house drama since they are staying at a hotel. 

I don't t remember which season it was but the episode with the shaving of the head was the ultimate of stupidity and I hope those who instigated it will bear the shame for a long time.

• Like 1

I've been enjoying it as usual and the lack of drama due to everyone just being happy to cook is nice. 

I'm re-watching the season in advance of the finale and am rooting for Shota.  Maybe because he's a local boy, but also Gabe lost me at the chicken liver churros in the movie challenge and Dawn might make some tasty things but has left too many of them off the plate.

Edited by pastrygirl (log)
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

I'm re-watching the season in advance of the finale and am rooting for Shota.  Maybe because he's a local boy, but also Gabe lost me at the chicken liver churros in the movie challenge and Dawn might make some tasty things but has left too many of them off the plate.

I'm cheering for Shota as well. The judges have really seemed blown away by his food quite a few times and he seems so thoughtful about what he's putting on the plate.  I like Gabe, too, but he seems to over complicate things sometimes.  Dawn really hobbled her team in restaurant wars by not letting her team know what she was making, then got a pass because her stuff was actually good. Not saying she should have had to go home because those other dishes were bad, but it knocked her out of my favorites. 

• Like 1

For once I like them all. Shota most, but Dawn is a close second.

I keep having the feeling that I've seen shota...turns out he beat bobby flay once

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

We finally watched this and the finale we watched last night.  I was cheering for Shota, he did so well all season.  Dawn over-complicated her stuff so much not all of it got on the plates.  I'm not unhappy about Gabe winning.  He sort of got to me on an emotional level.  All in all, the shows were good.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

We finally watched this and the finale we watched last night.  I was cheering for Shota, he did so well all season.  Dawn over-complicated her stuff so much not all of it got on the plates.  I'm not unhappy about Gabe winning.  He sort of got to me on an emotional level.  All in all, the shows were good.

Some controversy over his behaviour at his former restaurant and his win. Here's one link, more if you wanted to search for it. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/top-chef-gabe-erales-apology-firing-harassment-1234987992/

• Thanks 2