• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Chef 2023

gfweb

The Top Chef franchise may have run its course… some time ago…. and I can’t imagine any new host turning that around it but I’m still interested to see what Kristen Kish brings to the mix. Her experience as a chef-testant, battling back through Last Chance Kitchen, gives her a unique perspective.
I like Gail a lot as a judge and hope to see her continue in that role rather than making the move to host. 
Tom is really good on Last Chance Kitchen and I’d like to see that as his main gig with a new lead judge (Gail or someone else) stepping in on the main episodes. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Tom is really good on Last Chance Kitchen and I’d like to see that as his main gig with a new lead judge (Gail or someone else) stepping in on the main episodes. 

I really enjoy Last Chance Kitchen (sometimes more than the main show) and I agree, he's pretty effective there! 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

I really enjoy Last Chance Kitchen (sometimes more than the main show)

Ditto that.  The episodes are short and to the point.  With only 2 contestants we get a pretty good look at their cooking. There's no fluff footage like drone shots of them tooling about in fleets of BMWs or careening around Whole Foods with their carts on 2 wheels like a bunch of Keystone Cops.  We get a little commentary from the other axed chefs. Tom gives a pretty concise explanation of his decision, both pro and con and boom - we're done! 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Dave the Cook said:

This is a lot of criticism and speculation that is not supported by facts, and beyond that is borderline racist and sexist. Lakshmi spent 20 seasons on Top Chef, where she is also an executive producer. Her show Taste the Nation was not about ethnic food, unless food that originated on this continent qualifies as "ethnic." That show is rated 100% on Rotten Tomatoes, and won a James Beard award, something that, despite the credibility Gail Simmons seems to lend to Top Chef, has never won, except in connection with the show, which is produced in part by . . . Padma Lakshmi. 

She hasn't written *a* book, she's written five, including three food-related books. She managed to keep up with Salman Rushdie  -- no intellectual slouch himself -- for the three years their marriage lasted. She speaks five languages and has appeared in numerous (and quite varied) TV shows and movies on three continents.

Yeah, fake.

I saw no racism or sexism in anybody's posts and nobody said she was stupid.

One of us found her affect stilted and another doubted her food credentials.

I gather you like her.

That's fine.

On 6/2/2023 at 10:43 PM, eugenep said:

I believe you and I wish her luck with that. 

I know she had another TV show like "Taste the Nation" or something where it was about ethnic food. 

I never knew she was an authority on ethnic food but it seemed like..she got the job because of her skin color and not her knowledge ,experience, or any authority of her background in ethnic food 

I remember she scoffed at ethnic people in one episode for "these people being so grabby" and couldn't believe how barbaric these people were

It seemed..so authentic when she made her withering comments about cooks that cook their heart out etc. about their food was so blasé etc. 

For the above reasons I'm glad I don't have to see this fake person and hear her withering comments etc. - what a phony 

Everything about this comment comes off as sexist at best. Racist at the worst. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, gfweb said:

I saw no racism or sexism in anybody's posts and nobody said she was stupid.

One of us found her affect stilted and another doubted her food credentials.

I gather you like her.

That's fine.

Her being called a “phony” and getting “her job because of skin color and not experience” is disgusting. It’s racist and sexist and unfounded. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

Her being called a “phony” and getting “her job because of skin color and not experience” is disgusting. It’s racist and sexist and unfounded. 

i missed that second quoted part

Edited by gfweb (log)