• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edible Food Wrap

liuzhou

Edible Food Wrap Developed From Algae and Cinnamon Compound May Be the Food Packaging Solution We Need

Designed to replace one of the most un-recycled materials on the planet, the wrap consists of natural ingredients that are safe for the environment and humans.

Interesting idea. Maybe?

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Exciting possibilities, for sure.  But

the films are water-soluble and dissolve by almost 90% in 24 hours.

might really limit applications.  Sounds like a no for wet produce, I wonder how long it lasts in a humid environment.  Could be good for things like the inner sleeve on packaged crackers or cookies.

2 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

Exciting possibilities, for sure.  But

might really limit applications.  Sounds like a no for wet produce, I wonder how long it lasts in a humid environment.  Could be good for things like the inner sleeve on packaged crackers or cookies.

Pretty cool but yea, very limited use at this point.  If it takes off they'll perfect it I bet. 

The claim to prevent the spread of viruses is interesting.  Although wouldn't any plastic wrap do that when affixed properly?  

That wasn't chicken

As a child, there were some small candies that were wrapped in a sort of rice paper.

You just popped the whole thing into your mouth and the rice paper just dissolved.

As I recall the rice paper had no flavor to it.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

2 hours ago, Eatmywords said:

The claim to prevent the spread of viruses is interesting.  Although wouldn't any plastic wrap do that when affixed properly?  

Yes probably. But I think the idea is to cut down plastic use as much as possible. Plastic is now running around in our bloodstream and everywhere from the Arctic to Antarctica.

I don't think anyone is claiming this will work in every application, but it could in many.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Just wondering...How is this different from the inside wrapper used on White Rabbit candies? I assume that even the recent reincarnations of this wonderful treat have kept the edible inside wrapper. Or am I wrong?

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

1 hour ago, Naftal said:

Just wondering...How is this different from the inside wrapper used on White Rabbit candies? I assume that even the recent reincarnations of this wonderful treat have kept the edible inside wrapper. Or am I wrong?

I think that White Rabbit edible wrapper was made out of rice.

1 hour ago, Naftal said:

I haven't eaten White Rabbit for decades. My teeth aren't up to it. But I'm told the rice paper wrappers remain.