• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Pantry

heidih

On 6/19/2020 at 1:17 PM, andiesenji said:

When I said my pantry is in chaos, here is what I mean. Everything is jumbled together, and all the individual things have to be pulled out, sorted and put back where they belong.

My flour containers are stacked on the floor in front of my spice cabinet that has my ceramic baking dishes in the lower cupboard so I can't get at them, because the shelf that holds all the big Cambro containers is full or other stuff that has to be sorted and put back where they belong. Some belong in the freezer (whole grains and whole grain flours and etc.

It's frustrating, I stand and stare at it, wondering where to start but right now I can't shift anything until my back stops complaining.

HPIM4769.jpg.a133b2c34e82f6cea01ee6377dc28eb1.jpg

HPIM4770.jpg.fc47c474a3df2fcc45f7c40172e079f3.jpg

HPIM4771.jpg.a916aa9d08e4684c2b50acb5dc7cbaa3.jpg

Where is the ‘WOW” emoji?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Our pantry is getting over full as the oldsters are staying here for more months and they overshop canned goods and such. I ventured to my section and analyzed what could/should go. Only found fermented black beans from eons ago that are ok but I should buy ew if I want to use and some not so great dried shrimp - the Mexican cheapo packets. So tomorrow is trash day -so here we go at least on those 2 and  frees up nice glass jars for other stuff. I am a huge fan of re-using jars. as long as lids retained no smell. I imagine with Pandemic soe of yiu have bulging "just in case" pantry? I fgured maybe if I wrote this I'd actually take the action ;)

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, heidih said:

Our pantry is getting over full as the oldsters are staying here for more months and they overshop canned goods and such.

I suspect that your "oldsters" lived through part of the depression and/or WW2. My mother was a young mother during the depression and that fear of running out of food never left her. In her later years she had turned a hall closet into her pantry. Just before she turned 90 she moved from California (she'd lived in CA all her life) to North Carolina to be near her first-born. As a widow she only cooked for herself. When my sweetie and I cleaned out the pantry for her we found so many canned goods that it boggled our minds. As an example there were maybe 15+ cans of fruit cocktail.. Stuff that hadn't expired was packed up for some friends who could use the extra food. We threw some stuff in her trash barrel but knowing she wasn't going to be happy about that we lugged most of the no-longer-consumable stuff home and threw it away there.

We're driving over to Arizona tomorrow, and on Tuesday we will be making our choices for the kitchen cabinets.  One of the things that helped sell us on this house was the walk-in pantry. There is plenty of cabinet space in the kitchen but for us old arthritic types the pantry shelving will help us with access to canned and dry goods more easily. Oh - and the freezer and spare fridge will be right out of the door into the garage. We're only two, but we tend to buy in bulk, but only things that we do use.

Pantry.jpg

Edited by Porthos (log)
  • Like 6

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

10 hours ago, Porthos said:

I suspect that your "oldsters" lived through part of the depression and/or WW2. My mother was a young mother during the depression and that fear of running out of food never left her. I

It is more a memory thing. For example every time my dad sees a can of beets or black beans he buys some forgetting there are many in pantry. Same thing with her and Cream of Mushroom soup as everything she makes for them has it! Also there is no light in there, and hall light doesn't really illuminate/ Pantry is in a hallway.

• Like 1

I think I have already posted about our recent reorganization but will do so again in this apt thread.   

For a number of years husband has nagged about moving the freezer and grocery backstock up from the basement which is accessible by narrow, steep and almost circular stairs.   Long story shortened, we got rid of a piano and moved a huge chest from our breakfast room and into the piano's spot, had movers bring freezer, shelving and binned groceries up to the breakfast foom.     While I was the foot-dragger in this move, I can't overemphacize how almost deliriously happy I am with how stupid-convenient this nee arrangement is!

Flour, sugar, spices, bottled condiments,etc still in the small walk in pantry off kitchen

1919973502_ScreenShot2021-12-13at7_58_15AM.thumb.png.03c90a3b9b6eff59ceb01d97765f5d8b.png

And 8 feet around the corner, the new "pantry-nee-breakfast-room".

817380222_ScreenShot2021-12-13at7_58_51AM.thumb.png.6c1daa0b1b78163d26542262a1cea747.png

• Like 6

eGullet member #80.

1 hour ago, heidih said:

Same thing with her and Cream of Mushroom soup as everything she makes for them has it!

Oh, heidi, man.  

My mother, who never had much interest in the *taste* of food -- I think that may have been her depression scar, that "if you're hungry, you'll eat it" mantra which numbed her out to all data coming from the actual food -- anyway, my mother in her last two decades or so became enamored of Lowry's Seasoned Pepper.  Everything was coated in it.  Ev.Ry.Thing.  

I kind of figured that there must be something in there which pierced that veil of numb.   

When I cleaned out that spice cupboard, there were over ten jars packed up in there.  Coupons!

1 hour ago, heidih said:

Cream of Mushroom soup as everything she makes for them has it!

We were married at the height of Campbell's "make it with soup" era.    Husband admonished me, a very novice cook, that he never wanted me to cook with canned soup.   So he comes home one day and asks what I'm so busy making.    "Cream of mushroom soup.   The recipe calls for it!"  

• Haha 4

eGullet member #80.

Inspired by you guys I boldly asked if I could move some non food junk of hers to the cabinet over fridge. She is 5'9 and I am 5'5so never use that space. Now I was able to spread the canned goods out so they can be seen. Small triumph.  The copious cr of mush is always accompanied by many many cloves of garlic. Main flavor in her dishes I'd imagine (I do not eat her cooking)

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, heidih said:

Inspired by you guys I boldly asked if I could move some non food junk of hers to the cabinet over fridge. She is 5'9 and I am 5'5so never use that space.

What to learn on this thread: We get so locked into what is familiar that we have blinders to what can be that might be more convenient.    it has taken me many upslaps to the head to admit that stuff I love but never use can be moved.    Duh, but hard to admit.   

• Like 4

eGullet member #80.