Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anthony Bourdain memory


heidih
 Share

Recommended Posts

I’ve been re-reading “kitchen Confidential” and “Medium Raw” now.  Several references to depression and suicide.

How I wish someone could have stopped him.  It’s like I so wish I could have known him and yet I know he was a very very complicated man.  Maybe what happened was inevitable.  There most certainly were demons involved.

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/5/2021 at 11:11 AM, lindag said:

I watched "Roadrunner" yesterday (how could I not?)

I must say I enjoyed it even though it was heart wrenching.

When asked about the suicide, Eric Ripert said it was something he couldn't talk about.

Newsweek photo and story(ies).

OMG.  They could have chosen a better first word for the article.  The editorial standards at Newsweek have really gone down over the years.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

OMG.  They could have chosen a better first word for the article.  The editorial standards at Newsweek have really gone down over the years.

That's appalling. How could they let that through?

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, bokreta said:

That's appalling. How could they let that through?

Umm who looks uo to that mag these days? Lowest common denominator stuff.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, Bourdain did his share of upscale but was at his best, in my opinion, at places like the ones that Williams took him to in Crown Heights, Brooklyn (Caribbean).  There's an episode of Bourdain at Ali's Kebab Cafe in Astoria (Egyptian), an old Chowhound (& subsequent food boards) hangout,  and one where he's at the Red Hook Ballfields (Latin American), where I first met him, that are great.  The Obama one in China Vietnam aint half bad either.

Edited by Steve R. (log)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/6/2021 at 3:18 PM, Kim Shook said:

OMG.  They could have chosen a better first word for the article.  The editorial standards at Newsweek have really gone down over the years.

Somehow I missed that a first reading.  Utterly tasteless as well as insulting.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Steve R. said:

Yeah, Bourdain did his share of upscale but was at his best, in my opinion, at places like the ones that Williams took him to in Crown Heights, Brooklyn (Caribbean).  There's an episode of Bourdain at Ali's Kebab Cafe in Astoria (Egyptian), an old Chowhound (& subsequent food boards) hangout,  and one where he's at the Red Hook Ballfields (Latin American), where I first met him, that are great.  The Obama one in China aint half bad either.

Wasn't Obama in Vietnam? Those two tall leggy guys perched on little stools. Great.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, heidih said:

Wasn't Obama in Vietnam? Those two tall leggy guys perched on little stools. Great.

 

Yes.  And along with his times with Eric Ripert, this episode I remember with great fondness.  Beautiful and touching.

  • Like 2

-Paul

 

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...