• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Remembering Restaurants of the Past

NJ2FLA

hmmm...

and i don't know the name... there was an ice cream parlor upstairs in Paramus Park, where McDonald's is now... Best Place for Birthday Parties Ever!!!

That would be Farrell's... known for their menu item: "the kitchen sink."

Edited by thereuare (log)

Is Lee's Hawaiian Islander still in business(either North Arlington or Lyndhurst). I remember they were famous for their grass hut tables - another great adventure as a child.

There is a Lee's Hawaiian Islander still open in Clifton... are there multiple locations? I was there about a year ago and wasn't very impressed with the food, but I could definitely see the decor being fun for the kids.

Hey, Missus Fink... welcome ™!

I know that Mamacita's in Ramsey has some connection with the old Fiesta Hut. Having never been to either restaurant, I can't tell you if the food is comparable though.

edit: this was originally a double post, but I wanted to make a second post anyway!

Edited by 201 (log)

Oriental Luau in Old Tappan-- Back in the 70s, they were the only restaurant in NJ to have a PuPu Platter-- also those fake fires outside on the lawn were great.

More in the recent past-- that dinky Mexican on Route 4 west in Paramus where McDonalds is now.

How about the Awful Awful at Bonds??? Anyone remember those?

I believe the Buxton's retaurant in Bernardsville (where the Thirsty Turtle is now) also had Awful - Awfuls.

One pail, dozen scoops of ice cream, inch of praline, fist full of crushed nuts, half can of Hershey's chocolate syrup, a few inches of whipped cream, cherry on top.

Finish and hold two (one sitting, no leaving, no help) and you got your picture on the wall.

The Minuteman in Harding also had a similar deal

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.. just got back from sunny Florida!

Pu Pu in is gone, it's changed hands a few times. Holsteins ice cream is still there. Nutty Coconut is my favorite flavor.

Fireside is in Clifton but it's been transformed into a new name with new Greek owners and it's a diner now. the old Fireside was owned by a guy named Alan that my father went to school with in Passaic.

There is also a Lee's Hawiian Islander in I guess it would be Lyndhurst or North Arlington off River Road. Went there last year for dinner and it wasn't that good.

Another restaurant I used to love was Cook's Plaza in Chatham, which I believe disappeared some years ago.

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Please tell me Holstein's is still there....?

Edit: Ok, I should know better then to not finish the thread.  It's still there.  Whew.  I remember getting a 1" x 2" slab o' chocolate in my chocolate chip ice cream once.  I got to get back there.  Anyone know the building number on Broad?

1063 Broad St, Bloomfield

i like it 'cause it's open later than some of the other local ice cream places and not as outrageously overcrowded/overpriced. plus i have had the same experience as you (mondo chocolate chip), but much more recently. good stuff. you gotta go!

it's only been closed for a few months, but la carbonaia, in ho-ho-kus, was just this brilliant little gem. a great neighborhood pasta place.

having lived in hoboken for years, i saw more restaurants come and go than i can remember. and in fact, with the exception of the aforementioned santa fe yatch club, i can't remember any of the hundreds of restaurants that "went." i remember plenty of bars though.

Please tell me Holstein's is still there....?

Edit: Ok, I should know better then to not finish the thread.  It's still there.  Whew.  I remember getting a 1" x 2" slab o' chocolate in my chocolate chip ice cream once.  I got to get back there.  Anyone know the building number on Broad?

1063 Broad St, Bloomfield

i like it 'cause it's open later than some of the other local ice cream places and not as outrageously overcrowded/overpriced. plus i have had the same experience as you (mondo chocolate chip), but much more recently. good stuff. you gotta go!

Thank you very much!

Actually, I find the comment about price amusing b/c my parents considered it expensive when we used to go. :rolleyes:

And they're still the only place I know that makes their own hot fudge. It *stinks* to sit down to a sundae with homemade ice cream, and commercial fudge.

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

Does anyone remember when the Garden State Mall was an outdoor mall ? There was the Arcadia Gardens garden store and directly across was a restaurant called, I believe, Libby's. I remeber eating there with my Mom and Christmas shopping at the Mall. I loved the fact that the Mall was outdoors . Can anyone confirm the name ? I want to make sure I am not imagining this memory. :biggrin::biggrin:

Heuriger Wein is mein Lieblingswein!

• 2 weeks later...
hmmm...

and i don't know the name... there was an ice cream parlor upstairs in Paramus Park, where McDonald's is now... Best Place for Birthday Parties Ever!!!

That would be Farrell's... known for their menu item: "the kitchen sink."

Not to mention such desserts as The Pig's Trough (which we coerced my most strait-laced friend to eat by herself while in college) and The Zoo (an assortment of ice creams and accompiaments for 10, which inspired "Minyans To Farrells") Ah, college memories... :smile:

Now that I've finally caught up with this thread... Our additions:

The Pear Tree in Rumson

Cervinos in Middletown (originally known as Cobblestones)

J. August's in New Brunswick (brimming with assorted artifacts from local establishments of the past)

The Ground Round (still around, perhaps?)

And... Are there any "real" Howard Johnson's (HoJos) restaurants left???

There was one in Times Square but I believe it recently closed down for good. Last time I was in the city they were shut down by the Department of Health so I wouldnt go there anyhow.

There was one in Times Square but I believe it recently closed down for good.  Last time I was in the city they were shut down by the Department of Health so I wouldnt go there anyhow.

I don't know whether it recently closed, but I heard on the news about a week or so ago that the restaurant was being closed because of the situation with its lease. (Probably the landlord wants to do something that'll bring him/her more $). The report I heard didn't indicate a specific closing date, just that "the landmark was doomed."

There was one in Times Square but I believe it recently closed down for good.  Last time I was in the city they were shut down by the Department of Health so I wouldnt go there anyhow.

I don't know whether it recently closed, but I heard on the news about a week or so ago that the restaurant was being closed because of the situation with its lease. (Probably the landlord wants to do something that'll bring him/her more $). The report I heard didn't indicate a specific closing date, just that "the landmark was doomed."

Don't know about the Board o' Health, but the HJ sign was still up about two weeks ago.

Until perhaps 1999, that location, B'way at 46th? had an ancient sign, with the Piegiver (Jinmyo alert!!) leaning over to present Simple Simon with his pie. Sign probably dated from the 1950s, an eternity in Times Square.

A new, simplified sign has been there for all of this millenium, though.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo