• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

wok hei with torch

I have yet to taste any food cooked 'by torch' that I do not get at the very least, a background propane nuance to it.  It's disgusting. 

I know I have sensitive taste buds, but seriously people, this is a bad hack cooking technique!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TicTac said:

I have yet to taste any food cooked 'by torch' that I do not get at the very least, a background propane nuance to it.  It's disgusting. 

I know I have sensitive taste buds, but seriously people, this is a bad hack cooking technique!

Interesting point. I am not taste sensitive but my nose is quite the sniffer. I can not be near a buffet table if they are using sterno.

2 hours ago, TicTac said:

Bad torch technique then. 

• Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My T shirt site: Guy Bling

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

9 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

I am just too much of a klutz to even try. Even me and a Bunsen burner - the hose would pop...

Oh and it has to be the right kind of torch.  The cheap torches are not regulated and if you tip them too far (which tends to happen) liquid fuel will start filling the torch head and it's more than can burn, so you'll get some un-burned fuel in the mix.  If you get too much, the torch will flame out.  The torch in the article and the one I use have built-in regulators, so liquid can never reach the head.  It's also important to light the torch away from the food, again so no un-burned fuel hits the food.

FYI, my torch was sold by Sansaire (while they were still around) as part of a searing kit, but except for being painted white, it is identical to heat shrink torch.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My T shirt site: Guy Bling

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

2 hours ago, mgaretz said:

It's possible, I suppose - however this was even detected when the head chef at Zen took a blow torch to a piece of Toro - as nice as it might have been I could still detect that hit of butane/propane - whatever it is those devices use.