• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

gfweb

Favorite cuts of meat

I don't do intestines, at all. Any animal.

I eat a piece of meat only once a week so it'd better be good. If red meat then no more than 75g. We struggled so much on holidays in Argentina and Chile.

Typical animals:

• Beef: shin, cheek, bavette and most braising cuts. Tenderest cuts for tartare. Heart, liver, bones and veal's sweetbreads.

7oQAy9r.jpg

Veal sweetbreads (Lyon, France)

QHLi70U.jpg

• Lamb/Goat: leg, shoulder, ribs. Heart, liver, sweetbreads.

Goat's heart and liver

xnrv76S.jpg

Lamb's ribs

3qIxXUe.jpg

• Chicken: thigh, crispy skin, marrow, liver.

Rt5VR96.jpg

• Duck: thigh, breast (sometimes), skin, liver, fat, carcass.

Peking duck in Peking

ity06gk.jpg

• Goose: thigh, skin, liver, fat, carcass. Breast for curing only.

25jrAjy.jpg

• Pork: belly, belly, belly. Cheek, pretty much all cuts. Liver, skin, fat, blood, bones.

Mangalitsa pig. (Budapest, Hungary.)

tLpupwc.jpg

Pig's blood. (Taipei, Taiwan.)

0C7okON.jpg

• Like 4

On 9/7/2019 at 5:02 AM, Anna N said:

E6F714CF-B331-409D-B13D-30BF0C52B262.thumb.jpeg.84c1a6dbcbcbad9312943afa4329fe3c.jpeg

The piece of which we speak.

This is a chicken butt!

It is delicious - much fantastic fat around that morsel. 

The oyster, as mentioned previously is a roundish piece of dark meat hidden right against a bone, which is extremely tender.

• Like 1

Mangalitsa pigs are cute with their curly hair. Look like there's some poodle in the mix somewhere. 

• Haha 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I'm not sure I have a favorite. Let me give you an overview.

Beef: 

My got to steak would be a ribeye but I've been ordering filet mignon because it is smaller.

Strip steaks are good in a pinch.

I get boneless spare ribs to make stews

I've always got veal shanks in the freezer for a nice osso buco.

Lamb:

I love lamb. My mother used to make lamb fritters but I never got the recipe from her. She would put the lamb in a port of water and cook until it was tender. I don't know what cut she used or what she seasoned it with. Once cooled and shredded it was mixed into a pancake-like batter and fried up. It was one way to divide our family - those that loved the fritters and those that hated them. This is one of the reasons I married my wife - she loved them.

Lamb chops - any kind

Rack of lamb

Roast leg of lamb.

Pork:

I Love a good pork chop. Particular favorite is the "porterhouse" style but loin chop in a pinch.

The tenderloins are so versatile. I grill them, cut-and-pound them pan fry and make schnitzel, pork parm, etc.

I made pork osso buco once. It was delicious and maybe a little too rich.

Ham, roast or smoked pork - Bring it on.

Poultry:

I'm clearly a dark-meat person. I would rather have a leg or thigh than breast meat. Regardless if it is roasted, grilled, stewed.

Nothing like a good duck breast.

Edited by dans (log)
  • Like 2

Ditto @dans, except for the great stories about his mum.

Edited by TdeV Clarity (log)

Ribeye, cut to order the way YOU like it.  Lost leader at Safeway last week...ribeye roast $6.96/lb, limit of two. 

DSC03247.thumb.jpg.9153e07b40bc7de167795290f6eadd34.jpgDSC03248.thumb.jpg.c2519ebf1f40f3767ba58b26c515ff59.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/8/2019 at 6:32 PM, kayb said:

Mangalitsa pigs are cute with their curly hair. Look like there's some poodle in the mix somewhere. 

Porkydoodle

• Haha 1