• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite cuts of meat

gfweb

On 9/2/2019 at 11:35 AM, HungryChris said:

As a younger and (out of necessity)  more frugal person, one of my favorite cuts of meat was the lamb shank, with plenty of salt and pepper, cooked on the grill. They were cheap  cuts back then, until Emeril Lagasse made that bargain go away. I still remember watching him talk about them on his show one day, which ended something like: "Lamb shanks, if you see 'em, you get 'em, baby!!" Within a month, the price of lamb shanks more than tripled and I was forced to find something else for dinner.

HC

Here in Mexico, chamorro (pork shank) is extremely popular.  I have never shopped for pork shanks in the US, maybe it is reasonably priced.  You might want to try it.  Quick! before it gets featured on Food Network 👩‍🍳 🖥️

Chamorro is not as delicate as lamb shanks; it holds up well to a spicy red chile sauce.  Every bit as tender as lamb shanks if not more so.  

Edited by gulfporter (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, teonzo said:

I don't have a favourite cut or animal. I love variety. Can't choose between chicken thighs, bone marrow, woodcock, wild boar, beef steak, pork ribs, sweetbreads, duck breast, tripes, beef diaphragm, chicken innards, pork head, all kind of livers...

What I try to avoid is beef esophagus (like chewing a tasteless piece of rubber) and chicken breast (the rest of the animal is much much better).

Teo

But sous vide chicken or turkey breast is pretty great. Smoked then SVd is even better. 

I agree w @gfweb

Ck and Turkey Br shine w SV treatment:  tender , moist.  I smoke after SV , but just because that works for me

and  either Br flattened a little , then stuffed and tied then SV can be outstanding.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

My favourites change depending on what day you ask me.

But Lamb shanks, Oxtails and veal shanks would always been on the list.

@Margaret Pilgrim, oh yum.  I love sweetbreads and always order when they are on the menu.  

Haven't seen them at any of the butchers around here.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

I love sweetbreads and always order when they are on the menu.  

You usually won't find them in a butcher case because they are so perishable.    But most/many butchers will order them in for you.

ETA, one wonderful thing about eating out is that you can order foods that your Dpartners don't like.    Half of the things on my favorite list aren't household favorites.     So when I see them on a menu, I'm all in,

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 1

eGullet member #80.

2 hours ago, Ann_T said:

My favourites change depending on what day you ask me.

But Lamb shanks, Oxtails and veal shanks would always been on the list.

@Margaret Pilgrim, oh yum.  I love sweetbreads and always order when they are on the menu.  

Yours and mine.    

I’ll take thse these cuts over a steak any day

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 2

On 9/3/2019 at 3:07 PM, gulfporter said:

Here in Mexico, chamorro (pork shank) is extremely popular.  I have never shopped for pork shanks in the US, maybe it is reasonably priced.  You might want to try it.  Quick! before it gets featured on Food Network 👩‍🍳 🖥️

Chamorro is not as delicate as lamb shanks; it holds up well to a spicy red chile sauce.  Every bit as tender as lamb shanks if not more so.  

I have had trouble finding a pork shank that is not cured. Murphy's Wine Bar in Atlanta, one of my very favorite restaurants, does a spectacular pork shank braised in apple cider. I have tried several times to find fresh shanks to try to recreate it, but have never succeeded.

• Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 9/4/2019 at 12:05 AM, gfweb said:

But sous vide chicken or turkey breast is pretty great. Smoked then SVd is even better. 

Seems like it's just a matter of personal preference. I tried chicken breast prepared in many different ways, from quality animals and cooked by skilled people. Never did much for me. I much prefer all the rest of the chicken. I love the neck, the cockscombs, the small triangular part just above the ass (don't know the name in English)... just never cared for the breast. If I had to choose about chicken, probably I would pick the unformed eggs and the tripe, but I would cry knowing I would be leaving out the liver, the heart, the gizzard, the thigh. Give me a risotto with all the innards then a roasted thigh and I'll leave you all the chicken breasts you want, so we are both happy.

Teo

• Like 2

Teo

45 minutes ago, teonzo said:

Seems like it's just a matter of personal preference. I tried chicken breast prepared in many different ways, from quality animals and cooked by skilled people. Never did much for me. I much prefer all the rest of the chicken. I love the neck, the cockscombs, the small triangular part just above the ass (don't know the name in English)... just never cared for the breast. If I had to choose about chicken, probably I would pick the unformed eggs and the tripe, but I would cry knowing I would be leaving out the liver, the heart, the gizzard, the thigh. Give me a risotto with all the innards then a roasted thigh and I'll leave you all the chicken breasts you want, so we are both happy.

Teo

I’m Not saying breast is the choice meat in a chicken.  But it can be done nicely. 

11 hours ago, teonzo said:

I much prefer all the rest of the chicken. I love the neck, the cockscombs, the small triangular part just above the ass (don't know the name in English)...

That would be the bit we call the "oyster."

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

2 hours ago, chromedome said:

Really?  I thought that was the one we called the pope’s nose. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I think the oyster is a small pice of dark meat , close to the thigh , but on the carcass / lower rib cage.

in this picture its on the upper far R , and , guess what , oyster shaped !

chicken-oyster-6.jpg.7363d46852d9cb65d0a7cff01de310ea.jpg

you have to know its there when you bone out a chicken ir other fowl.

https://www.kitchensanity.com/food/what-are-chicken-oysters/

and my mother did call the chickens ' tail ' the Pope's Nose.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I'd assumed the tail was self-explanatory. Perhaps I'm wrong. :)

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

3 hours ago, chromedome said:

The oyster ain't the tail or just above the ass and there are two of them in all fowl still in possession of the standard legs their maker supplies. They aren't triangular either. They are oyster-shaped, hence the descriptor. The pope's nose is roughly triangular and like noses, singular.  It is  so-named, perhaps because of its resemblance to the nasal appendage of Pope Alexander VI or someone else. It depends who you ask.

It is also referred to as the parson's nose or sultan's nose to followers  of different faiths.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

There was a joke in my father's family.    He had three older sisters.    When they had a roast chicken or turkey, the girls would start calling out, "I want the tail!"   I want the tail!"   "No, no, I want the tail!"    Not to be left out, he would start howling for the tail, and being the boy, baby and spoiled, he would get it.    And they would enjoy drumsticks and thighs.    I don't know how old he was before the ruse dawned on him.   

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Haha 4

eGullet member #80.

Well I love a great ribeye or pork tenderloin as much as the next 'murrican.     

I find myself liking more and more "smaller bites", more variety instead of the classic American Big Hunk of Meat (even though it is still great), starch, veggie and side salad to feel good about myself.  

I also like Duck and Lamb over any other meats.     

But I am more partial to long stewed or braised cuts of meats, or quick cooked cutlets than I am big steakhouse ticket items

• Like 1

On 9/5/2019 at 9:06 AM, Anna N said:

E6F714CF-B331-409D-B13D-30BF0C52B262.thumb.jpeg.84c1a6dbcbcbad9312943afa4329fe3c.jpeg

The piece of which we speak.

• Like 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

Hmm ... Pope Benedikt XVI, I presume  ?

No names, no pack drill. 

• Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog