Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ooni pizza oven


gfweb
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, &roid said:


never had the pleasure of eating them but that look is pretty much what I’m aiming to replicate (eventually…!)

 

That particular pie is sourdough, but the look can be recreated with commercial yeast exponentially easier.   If that's the look you're trying to replicate, I can't recommend a traditional Neapolitan approach strongly enough.  This means:

 

W290 flour (Caputo Red works well, but any Italian 00 with a strength of W290 is fine- just make sure you absolutely never use English flour).

58%-60% hydration

Straight dough with a bulk and a balled ferment

No refrigeration- ever
The right dough ball size - typically no more than about 250g for a 13" pie

Using enough yeast and enough time to get peak volume, but not so much time you get big black spots (the Italians call them measles). For W290 flour, this means proofing the dough no longer than about 24 hours

A blazingingly hot oven - beyond the recommended 20 minutes in the instructions

A quality turning peel - stainless, round, no smaller than 8" and no larger than 10"

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/13/2021 at 7:10 PM, scott123 said:

 

That particular pie is sourdough, but the look can be recreated with commercial yeast exponentially easier.   If that's the look you're trying to replicate, I can't recommend a traditional Neapolitan approach strongly enough.  This means:

 

W290 flour (Caputo Red works well, but any Italian 00 with a strength of W290 is fine- just make sure you absolutely never use English flour).

58%-60% hydration

Straight dough with a bulk and a balled ferment

No refrigeration- ever
The right dough ball size - typically no more than about 250g for a 13" pie

Using enough yeast and enough time to get peak volume, but not so much time you get big black spots (the Italians call them measles). For W290 flour, this means proofing the dough no longer than about 24 hours

A blazingingly hot oven - beyond the recommended 20 minutes in the instructions

A quality turning peel - stainless, round, no smaller than 8" and no larger than 10"


Great advice as always, Scott. That is pretty much my latest iteration to a tee. The only thing I’ve not yet tried is dropping down to 60% hydration. I might do a few balls of this lower water version next weekend… 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, &roid said:


Great advice as always, Scott. That is pretty much my latest iteration to a tee. The only thing I’ve not yet tried is dropping down to 60% hydration. I might do a few balls of this lower water version next weekend… 

 

Anthony is the quintessential purist.  The original gangster's original gangster.  In a way, by basically channeling Raffaele Esposito, he's turning back the clock 130 years.  Sourdough is fundamentally narcissistic masochism, but I do respect his obsession.  And, while I don't have a time machine, I'm fairly confident that the only difference between archaic Neapolitan and modern Neapolitan pizza is the leavening- that it was most likely 60% then, as it is now.

Don't get me wrong, you can make beautiful 70% hydration pizza.  But... if you want the pizza in that particular photo, it's not going to happen at 70% water.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anthony was at it again today; it looks like they're shooting for a September reopening here and my fingers are crossed.

 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRRw-90sHkD/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

 

  • Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On Monday I had to work in the office, so I dropped by the Italian supermarket to get some items to make pizza today …

 

Starting with the flour …

 

50300302-E90E-469D-B583-3C6F5DF9DCE1.thumb.jpeg.da4d2372f6db2b3b3e46d8271a4049a3.jpeg

 

Tomatoes …

 

F6F8A4D3-2251-4E7D-9C61-13B483ABC073.thumb.jpeg.7ca12606a576d244b563c2038d1a8f48.jpeg

 

Their fresh fior di latte & some calabrian sausage …

 

D7CDA5C2-A4BD-4BAA-9E42-324A333A4A2C.thumb.jpeg.358d6dc1ba3c0cbba94388207b5ee088.jpeg

 

And some shelf-stable items …

 

2C24DC61-F742-4154-AE97-4CBA388A04DF.thumb.jpeg.0e010ee6e0808969e672c532e9d283c8.jpeg

 

And now for the practice shots: dough with 24h poolish, 62% hydration. I went up from my usual 165g flour dough balls to 200g. Makes for a much easier shaping.

 

44C63D8B-9C9A-41E9-A41E-EF0D9798B1A3.thumb.jpeg.2c135b2f2223a92afac155a813c7ed51.jpeg

 

First pie: Mushroom & calabrian sausage

 

08F17873-E8C6-4DA3-9560-CFA2490DD9A7.thumb.jpeg.eedbb2d877f8312a9f501b2f55d569bc.jpeg

 

C3698E43-D055-4F10-BE7E-2DAA91023104.thumb.jpeg.9bcb587e8bf29866ac496e3a02b25ff4.jpeg

 

Second pie: Capers, olives & anchovies 

 

D279F09D-C468-4F81-B37B-E4D78432A69D.thumb.jpeg.299fca105d912fb1d5b96471d2256b14.jpeg

 

69FA559C-C90B-4479-BEE4-D9182FD541E6.thumb.jpeg.9cd92fea6d493892f1e183d34896632e.jpeg

 

D0558A85-0416-44D5-BB18-565FA08936EA.thumb.jpeg.aa7e5270bfe9639e62653c82241ac49d.jpeg

 

Third pie: Hawaii (as requested by the little one). He did not care much for the cornicione, so I rolled his pizza out. The rim puffed anyway quite nicely (flour ?!) …

 

878484B6-722B-4EFC-8DE3-F3A1D26B4664.thumb.jpeg.700ffcb446e43fadb30060c54aaf7344.jpeg

 

B86E4439-4DE7-4FFA-967E-4BD4634F8194.thumb.jpeg.605bae23c1f3de29813d3a25e3050dc1.jpeg

 

894E5851-B816-42E0-AE58-ACBED594ED83.thumb.jpeg.e00157562257fac15988a27ad5780b46.jpeg

 

Forth pie: Nduja, onions and Provolone. Very spicy, very good …

 

4B523991-0B29-4086-98EB-B91C4F431A18.thumb.jpeg.c209245684ae6b38b896de17a4850504.jpeg

 

5B883BC6-C0AC-4D61-9940-5FCCE39A54BC.thumb.jpeg.b97b5cfc13c3dc5f2d37cb4a38f09519.jpeg

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Duvel said:

On Monday I had to work in the office, so I dropped by the Italian supermarket to get some items to make pizza today …

 

Starting with the flour …

 

50300302-E90E-469D-B583-3C6F5DF9DCE1.thumb.jpeg.da4d2372f6db2b3b3e46d8271a4049a3.jpeg

 

Tomatoes …

 

Their fresh fior di latte & some calabrian sausage …

 

D7CDA5C2-A4BD-4BAA-9E42-324A333A4A2C.thumb.jpeg.358d6dc1ba3c0cbba94388207b5ee088.jpeg

 

And some shelf-stable items …

 

2C24DC61-F742-4154-AE97-4CBA388A04DF.thumb.jpeg.0e010ee6e0808969e672c532e9d283c8.jpeg

 

And now for the practice shots: dough with 24h poolish, 62% hydration. I went up from my usual 165g flour dough balls to 200g. Makes for a much easier shaping.

 

44C63D8B-9C9A-41E9-A41E-EF0D9798B1A3.thumb.jpeg.2c135b2f2223a92afac155a813c7ed51.jpeg

 

First pie: Mushroom & calabrian sausage

 

08F17873-E8C6-4DA3-9560-CFA2490DD9A7.thumb.jpeg.eedbb2d877f8312a9f501b2f55d569bc.jpeg

 

C3698E43-D055-4F10-BE7E-2DAA91023104.thumb.jpeg.9bcb587e8bf29866ac496e3a02b25ff4.jpeg

 

Second pie: Capers, olives & anchovies 

 

D279F09D-C468-4F81-B37B-E4D78432A69D.thumb.jpeg.299fca105d912fb1d5b96471d2256b14.jpeg

 

69FA559C-C90B-4479-BEE4-D9182FD541E6.thumb.jpeg.9cd92fea6d493892f1e183d34896632e.jpeg

 

D0558A85-0416-44D5-BB18-565FA08936EA.thumb.jpeg.aa7e5270bfe9639e62653c82241ac49d.jpeg

 

Third pie: Hawaii (as requested by the little one). He did not care much for the cornicione, so I rolled his pizza out. The rim puffed anyway quite nicely (flour ?!) …

 

878484B6-722B-4EFC-8DE3-F3A1D26B4664.thumb.jpeg.700ffcb446e43fadb30060c54aaf7344.jpeg

 

B86E4439-4DE7-4FFA-967E-4BD4634F8194.thumb.jpeg.605bae23c1f3de29813d3a25e3050dc1.jpeg

 

894E5851-B816-42E0-AE58-ACBED594ED83.thumb.jpeg.e00157562257fac15988a27ad5780b46.jpeg

 

Forth pie: Nduja, onions and Provolone. Very spicy, very good …

 

4B523991-0B29-4086-98EB-B91C4F431A18.thumb.jpeg.c209245684ae6b38b896de17a4850504.jpeg

 

5B883BC6-C0AC-4D61-9940-5FCCE39A54BC.thumb.jpeg.b97b5cfc13c3dc5f2d37cb4a38f09519.jpeg

If you ever tire of your "day job", you could probably start Germany's best pizzeria

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, KennethT said:

If you ever tire of your "day job", you could probably start Germany's best pizzeria

 

And it would be a good way to get the little one working!

  • Haha 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

He used to assist in the preparation, but now he focuses more on the consumption part …

 

He makes a rounder pie than I do!!

I like that grater contraption.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Duvel said:

On Monday I had to work in the office, so I dropped by the Italian supermarket to get some items to make pizza today …

 

Starting with the flour …

 

50300302-E90E-469D-B583-3C6F5DF9DCE1.thumb.jpeg.da4d2372f6db2b3b3e46d8271a4049a3.jpeg

 

Tomatoes …

 

F6F8A4D3-2251-4E7D-9C61-13B483ABC073.thumb.jpeg.7ca12606a576d244b563c2038d1a8f48.jpeg

 

Their fresh fior di latte & some calabrian sausage …

 

D7CDA5C2-A4BD-4BAA-9E42-324A333A4A2C.thumb.jpeg.358d6dc1ba3c0cbba94388207b5ee088.jpeg

 

And some shelf-stable items …

 

2C24DC61-F742-4154-AE97-4CBA388A04DF.thumb.jpeg.0e010ee6e0808969e672c532e9d283c8.jpeg

 

And now for the practice shots: dough with 24h poolish, 62% hydration. I went up from my usual 165g flour dough balls to 200g. Makes for a much easier shaping.

 

44C63D8B-9C9A-41E9-A41E-EF0D9798B1A3.thumb.jpeg.2c135b2f2223a92afac155a813c7ed51.jpeg

 

First pie: Mushroom & calabrian sausage

 

08F17873-E8C6-4DA3-9560-CFA2490DD9A7.thumb.jpeg.eedbb2d877f8312a9f501b2f55d569bc.jpeg

 

C3698E43-D055-4F10-BE7E-2DAA91023104.thumb.jpeg.9bcb587e8bf29866ac496e3a02b25ff4.jpeg

 

Second pie: Capers, olives & anchovies 

 

D279F09D-C468-4F81-B37B-E4D78432A69D.thumb.jpeg.299fca105d912fb1d5b96471d2256b14.jpeg

 

69FA559C-C90B-4479-BEE4-D9182FD541E6.thumb.jpeg.9cd92fea6d493892f1e183d34896632e.jpeg

 

D0558A85-0416-44D5-BB18-565FA08936EA.thumb.jpeg.aa7e5270bfe9639e62653c82241ac49d.jpeg

 

Third pie: Hawaii (as requested by the little one). He did not care much for the cornicione, so I rolled his pizza out. The rim puffed anyway quite nicely (flour ?!) …

 

878484B6-722B-4EFC-8DE3-F3A1D26B4664.thumb.jpeg.700ffcb446e43fadb30060c54aaf7344.jpeg

 

B86E4439-4DE7-4FFA-967E-4BD4634F8194.thumb.jpeg.605bae23c1f3de29813d3a25e3050dc1.jpeg

 

894E5851-B816-42E0-AE58-ACBED594ED83.thumb.jpeg.e00157562257fac15988a27ad5780b46.jpeg

 

Forth pie: Nduja, onions and Provolone. Very spicy, very good …

 

4B523991-0B29-4086-98EB-B91C4F431A18.thumb.jpeg.c209245684ae6b38b896de17a4850504.jpeg

 

5B883BC6-C0AC-4D61-9940-5FCCE39A54BC.thumb.jpeg.b97b5cfc13c3dc5f2d37cb4a38f09519.jpeg


great looking pizzas @Duvel!

 

what do you make of the nuvola flour, I’ve not tried it yet?

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, &roid said:


great looking pizzas @Duvel!

 

what do you make of the nuvola flour, I’ve not tried it yet?


Thanks !

 

The flour was easy to work with. The resulting dough at 62% was quite „springy“ and kept the CO2 very well. I found it somewhat tricky to deflate after the bulk fermentation. It was fine to stretch out and definitely produced a great oven spring of the cornicione. Even when I rolled out the dough for the „Hawaii“, the rim still puffed up significantly. I don’t know if I can attribute the specifically to the Nuvola formulation, as so far I have only my 550 German bread flour for comparison, but I am very happy with the results I got.

 

Beside the Nuvola (type 0, 2.5 €/kg), I also got the Chef (type 00, 1.7 €/kg) and the Regular (type 00, 1.7 €/kg) to play around with for the next time(s) …

 

30874CAD-D29E-41C0-9D30-99A98C7DF8A7.thumb.jpeg.113def0011a8a4cca05774cbbcecd02d.jpeg

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Duvel said:


Thanks !

 

The flour was easy to work with. The resulting dough at 62% was quite „springy“ and kept the CO2 very well. I found it somewhat tricky to deflate after the bulk fermentation. It was fine to stretch out and definitely produced a great oven spring of the cornicione. Even when I rolled out the dough for the „Hawaii“, the rim still puffed up significantly. I don’t know if I can attribute the specifically to the Nuvola formulation, as so far I have only my 550 German bread flour for comparison, but I am very happy with the results I got.

 

Beside the Nuvola (type 0, 2.5 €/kg), I also got the Chef (type 00, 1.7 €/kg) and the Regular (type 00, 1.7 €/kg) to play around with for the next time(s) …

 

30874CAD-D29E-41C0-9D30-99A98C7DF8A7.thumb.jpeg.113def0011a8a4cca05774cbbcecd02d.jpeg


Great shop to have on hand!

 

I’ll be really interested how you compare the three. So far I’ve tried the red “cuoco” and blue and prefer the red for the doughs I’ve made. Will see if I can get hold of some of the Nuvola to try. 
 

Just looked up on Google translate - nuvola means cloud apparently :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, &roid said:

So far I’ve tried the red “cuoco” and blue and prefer the red for the doughs I’ve made. Will see if I can get hold of some of the Nuvola to try. 


It seems they produce two „blue” varieties. There is the “classico” with 11.5% protein and a “pizzeria” with 12.5% (same as actually the “cuoco”). I bought the “classico” (as the “pizzeria” one was not available) and the “cuoco”, which from my expectations should give sturdier doughs. But compared to my pizza steel setup, the Ooni is a completely different game, so sturdier must not be better …

 

The shop is great - not only for the flour. I had a hard time choosing the toppings, too … 😉

 

0A1ACA22-79D5-4193-B884-FE432B4C4790.thumb.jpeg.c2549255e99f1d9cfe0f9504bdbfdf69.jpeg

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Duvel said:

 

 

0A1ACA22-79D5-4193-B884-FE432B4C4790.thumb.jpeg.c2549255e99f1d9cfe0f9504bdbfdf69.jpeg


OMG! I could spend hours in there - that guanciale is winking at me… 😂 

 

big pizza day for us on Saturday, it’s our youngest’s third birthday so we have a bit of a party going on. My next door neighbour is bringing his multi fuel ooni and we’ll be turning out maybe 15-20 pies. The weather is looking about 50:50 at the moment though tbh I’m just hoping it cools down a bit, this week has been crazy hot. 
 

Our local good pizza place does a “carbonara” pizza - apologies to any Italians reading this, but it was delicious ;)  I think I’ll have a try at the weekend. 
 

here’s a quick pic of what I’ll try for:

 

A2716C22-123D-4F75-A066-0A5165CE231E.thumb.png.eb0a36a1a6ee1eea5b61259ab755402b.png

 

white pizza with guanciale, topped with a runny poached egg

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, &roid said:

big pizza day for us on Saturday, it’s our youngest’s third birthday so we have a bit of a party going on. My next door neighbour is bringing his multi fuel ooni and we’ll be turning out maybe 15-20 pies. The weather is looking about 50:50 at the moment though tbh I’m just hoping it cools down a bit, this week has been crazy hot. 


I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you 🤞

 

Please report back on your “industrial scale” Ooni use … I foresee similar events im my future.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Duvel said:


I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you 🤞

 

Please report back on your “industrial scale” Ooni use … I foresee similar events im my future.

I certainly will. I think I’ll task oldest offspring with being official photographer - I always get carried away when I’m cooking and forget to take the money shots!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Duvel said:

Beside the Nuvola (type 0, 2.5 €/kg), I also got the Chef (type 00, 1.7 €/kg) and the Regular (type 00, 1.7 €/kg) to play around with for the next time(s) …

 

Being scientific, I imagine you keep notes so that you end knowing what flour works best under what conditions. Me - I'd try to remember and just screw everything up!

 

4 hours ago, &roid said:

Great shop to have on hand!

 

Absolutely great looking shop. Lucky you to have that resource; I'd spend hours. Weekly.

 

3 hours ago, Duvel said:

The shop is great - not only for the flour. I had a hard time choosing the toppings, too … 😉

 

0A1ACA22-79D5-4193-B884-FE432B4C4790.thumb.jpeg.c2549255e99f1d9cfe0f9504bdbfdf69.jpeg

 

Damn! What does the pasta aisle look like?

 

3 hours ago, &roid said:

Our local good pizza place does a “carbonara” pizza - apologies to any Italians reading this, but it was delicious ;)  I think I’ll have a try at the weekend. 

 

Oh, not just them!  But the whole egg on pizza has become a thing, hasn't it?

 

Edited by weinoo (log)

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Damn! What does the pasta aisle look like?


The pasta aisles are very well stocked … I’ll take some picture next time. The tomato product aisles and the cheeses are also spectacular. 
 

(and because it’s so unnecessary for the home cook, but: they sell foldable boxes for pizza 😉 … must resist)

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, weinoo said:

 

Being scientific, I imagine you keep notes so that you end knowing what flour works best under what conditions. Me - I'd try to remember and just screw everything up!


Guilty as charged for the former, but that doesn’t prevent me from the latter …

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

and because it’s so unnecessary for the home cook, but: they sell foldable boxes for pizza 😉 … must resist)

Wait a minute! @Kerry Bealfinds them indispensable when she makes a personal delivery of a pizza to me!

  • Like 3
  • Haha 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Duvel said:


The pasta aisles are very well stocked … I’ll take some picture next time. The tomato product aisles and the cheeses are also spectacular. 
 

(and because it’s so unnecessary for the home cook, but: they sell foldable boxes for pizza 😉 … must resist)

I've told you before - resistance is futile! Of course you need boxes.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, &roid said:


OMG! I could spend hours in there - that guanciale is winking at me… 😂 

 

big pizza day for us on Saturday, it’s our youngest’s third birthday so we have a bit of a party going on. My next door neighbour is bringing his multi fuel ooni and we’ll be turning out maybe 15-20 pies. The weather is looking about 50:50 at the moment though tbh I’m just hoping it cools down a bit, this week has been crazy hot. 
 

Our local good pizza place does a “carbonara” pizza - apologies to any Italians reading this, but it was delicious ;)  I think I’ll have a try at the weekend. 
 

here’s a quick pic of what I’ll try for:

 

A2716C22-123D-4F75-A066-0A5165CE231E.thumb.png.eb0a36a1a6ee1eea5b61259ab755402b.png

 

white pizza with guanciale, topped with a runny poached egg

Dueling oonis (or would it be oonii?)!!  Love it!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...