• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alex

The Best Restaurant if You're Over 50

4 minutes ago, fondue said:

I dine with those whom I love; if I can't hear myself think, there's not much point in breaking bread together *at that particular restaurant *. DH has a Minnesotan expression for such disappointments,  "Well, I've eaten there twice." (The first time/the last time.)

Or as my late FIL used to say "two visits in one".

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 6/29/2019 at 10:08 PM, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Indeed it does!      For some reason that is totally beyond me, I find people calling me "Sweetie".    Now even you people who know me so little must realize that that is not my bag.    But they are well intended and I leave them with their illusions.   But what really galls me is being called "Young lady", mostly by butchers and ilk.    Nothing makes you realize your age more or faster than being called "young lady", and I cringe when someone calls DH "young fella".  

Funny what gets under ones skin. 

My wife and I cringe every time some young dipshit waiter calls us “you two”. 

1 hour ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

You like "you guys" better?

Yes, but not by much. 

“You two “ is over-familiar.  Avoid that stuff. Servers should act like they respect the customer.  Just address people like they are normal folks.  I’m not your dad and I’m not your drinking buddy. Don’t be chummy, don’t be condescending. Just take my frigging order and don’t f it up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

You like "you guys" better?

youse guys would be best

and never say yinz guys  (unless in Pittsburgh and even then...)

• Haha 1