• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food magazines and Books

that's white a questoion

Ill move down to magazines :

the only magazine I get is Fine Cooking

https://www.finecooking.com

possibly your library has a subscription ?

or a news stand near you a copy ?

I do hate to say it

but   https://www.177milkstreet.com/magazine

is quite decent.   its a bazillion times better than America's test kitchen

however it runs against my grain to buy anything from C.Kimball.

the Lord of Churn.

its in my library system , so I take advantage of that.

again , check your library and newsstand.

magazines are dinosaurs waiting to become extinct 

too bad too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My two favorite are still Art of Eating and Gastronomica. These two slide in between your descritions. Both are long-form magazine/journal type publications. Both are extremely in-depth, culturally wide-spanning publications. If you want beyond the mainstream you won't find better IMO.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A new and beautiful contender in this class is Whetstone:  http://www.whetstonemagazine.com/

On cooking mags, I second the Fine Cooking rec, and I also enjoy Saveur.  

And I'm with rotuts on the C. Kimball nightmare (even though I learned a fair amount from him over the years).  That said -- MilkStreet has a podcast which I listen to; on some level it's less tolerable than the magazine, but on the other hand it's free.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Those are very general questions. Are there particular cultures you're interested in? Which aspects of food history appeal to you? What are you looking to learn from food-related magazines?

• Thanks 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

17 hours ago, Cookwhoplaysdrums said:

Can anyone suggest me some good books related to Gastronomy, food history, culture, recipes based on different cultures. 

Also recommend the best food magazine subscriptions. 

I thoroughly enjoyed "Eat My Globe," by Simon Majundar (I believe that's the author's name; it's been several years). Cookwise, by Shirley Corriher, is a good one for some science and history behind the recipes and techniques. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Well I'll thank to everyone who stopped by my post and helped me out with your suggestions. I am definitely putting those recommendations and questions that some of you asked into consideration and starting to work on it.

And yes, the main purpose of asking this question was because am planning to study a Post Graduate course in Gastronomy.

I intend to learn about it, at least for now, from some of the books, links and magazines that you all shared. I know it would have been easy for me too Google it all, but I think getting some personal ideas and talking to new people from the same community would help me in a better way. 

Also, I have some Universities in mind which provides that particular course, but am always open for suggestions. Looking forward to hear from you all.

Have a great day !

Three entertaining books by Mark Kurlansky: 

Salt: A World History

Milk: A 10,000-Year Food Fracas

Cod: A Biography of the Fish that Changed the World

By Natalie Duguid, sometimes with Jeffrey Alford:

Hot Sour Salty Sweet

Mangoes and Curry Leaves

Taste of Persia

et al.

An oldie but goodie by Margaret Visser: 

Much Depends on Dinner

And if you'd like a book AND a doorstop: 

A History of Food, by Maguelonne Toussaint-Samat

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I learned to cook through Cooks Illustrated magazine. Chris Kimball (before he got fired) is one smart talented guy. 

They don't just give you recipes but they tell you why you do certain things - such as browning the meat or aromatic vegetables, toasting your spices, etc.  that gives food maximum flavor. 

It was just not about recipes but about technique and most of their recipes/techniques turned out incredibly great tasting dishes. 

Also, the James Beard awards gives a list of winners of best food books of the year (like the Emmys for food books). 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would also say 

Preserving the Japanese Way , Japan the Cookbook both by Nancy singleton Hachisu are both deep dives into Japanese food and traditions

Its All American Food by David Rosengarten has a lot of history of various immigrations and food / recipes that came with them to the US