• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

This has been such an easy dessert to put together that I have been keeping a container of chocolate pastry cream in the fridge for “ emergencies “.

The round French Butter cookie bottom was dipped in Barbancourt rum and proved to be a delicious addition.

The  oval wafer cookie, which I have now made too many times 😊, might also benefit by a dip in Kahlua or Grand Marnier or…any lovely liqueur of choice.

IMG_7355.jpeg

IMG_7352.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Delicious 4

Hazelnut peach custard tart, similar to Tarte Maman,Raymond Blanc.  The tart has a generous amount of hazelnut flour, a very tender, fragile crust that is very pleasing with the filling . Peaches and crust are baked for about twenty minutes prior to adding the custard. Originally made with apples, this lends itself to many different fruits.

IMG_7365.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4

Maxime Frédéric's Île flottante/Œufs à la neige (Floating islands/Snow eggs)...

Floater1.thumb.png.0e24c839e32e596464cbd8b7603b7f7d.png

I'm not sure that a picture of the insides of a meringue brings any extra information but...

Floater2.thumb.png.a028a0b4edc5c3df1e3ee11c7bf0fd25.png

This was delightful. Before getting a quick flash in the oven the meringue is dusted with icing sugar, resulting in a delicately thin crust. It's like eating a crispy cloud.

You can watch him make it here.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 4

About making dulce de leche.  I never felt confident enough to do the submerge a can of sweetened condensed milk in water technique.   So I used to pour several cans into a pan and leave it in the oven until it was a rather dark brown.  It was delicious, BUT it sometimes took 3-4 hours at 400F.  Then I discovered La Lechera dulce de leche.  Open a can, add some sea salt, and heat it, and it's ready to go.  I cannot tell any difference at all between "homemade" and La Lechera--and there is no risk of DDL on my kitchen ceiling.

17 hours ago, Jim D. said:

About making dulce de leche.  I never felt confident enough to do the submerge a can of sweetened condensed milk in water technique.   So I used to pour several cans into a pan and leave it in the oven until it was a rather dark brown.  It was delicious, BUT it sometimes took 3-4 hours at 400F.  Then I discovered La Lechera dulce de leche.  Open a can, add some sea salt, and heat it, and it's ready to go.  I cannot tell any difference at all between "homemade" and La Lechera--and there is no risk of DDL on my kitchen ceiling.

I’ve been boiling those cans for 50+ years and never had an issue.  Of course, never open a hot/warm can of DDL just out of the boiling water (as my college friend did) as you will have a ceiling full of DDL (as he did).  Out of the water and into the refrigerator….

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

I have a can of condensed condensed milk that is two years past it's BB date. I assume that since it is mostly sugar, it will still be okay to use. Thoughts?

I expect it would be fine. I once opened a can that was even farther past its best-by date, and it had turned a caramel color on its own. After reading the discussion here about making dulce de leche in the can, I wonder if that's what happened to it. I threw it away without trying it, but now in the same situation I'd probably at least taste it. I doubt anything unhealthful could have grown in it.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

7 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I expect it would be fine. I once opened a can that was even farther past its best-by date, and it had turned a caramel color on its own. After reading the discussion here about making dulce de leche in the can, I wonder if that's what happened to it. I threw it away without trying it, but now in the same situation I'd probably at least taste it. I doubt anything unhealthful could have grown in it.

I did the same thing not that long ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

I did the same thing not that long ago.

I will open it and have a look - I'm sure it's fine. I am making a bunch of squares for dessert for my daughter's rehersal dinner. A long time family favourite is Revel Bars and that's what the condensed milk is for.

Edited by MaryIsobel (log)
  • Like 1

French custard tart goes by several names (flan Parisien, flan pâtissier, flan nature). It's a cheap 'n' cheerful staple in most bakeries, seemingly made with a box mix most of the time. So it's a treat to make one with real vanilla...

Flan1.thumb.png.a9f98cb81a7ccc8f4c1f9d9cab6acc3c.png

Flan2.thumb.png.862c8dd764d8f1e3370be1b60ad2adb7.png

I prefer mine on the creamier side with quite a dark top for that burnt milk flavour, which means a relatively quick blast in a very hot oven. The only downside is the thin layer of what looks like undercooked pastry on the base. I think it's cooked, just not coloured. Even the fancy flans of Paris seem live with it. Anyway, the pastry around it is so well cooked and crunchy that you'd never know. (I think I tried blind baking in the past but ultimately decided it wasn't worth it.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

On 9/29/2024 at 9:17 PM, MaryIsobel said:

I am making a bunch of squares for dessert for my daughter's rehersal dinner. A long time family favourite is Revel Bars and that's what the condensed milk is for.

Do you have a recipe, @MaryIsobel? Thanks.