• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breville Smart Oven Air

ElsieD

looking over the manual 

pp 25 is slow cooking .  I was looking for an ability to set the slow cook temp

and was unable to find one.    there seems to be a low and a high setting for slow cooking

I could not find what temps those were .  pp 19 has a warm function and the low on that is 160F  , no lower

ddddd.thumb.jpg.8173f85d57afc8781035d96a7e2e3065.jpg

thats a real shame .  slow cooking at 140F  , vern 135 F  , if reasonably accurate   would be a mighty fine feature :

SV like temps , but in a pan , covered  w foil , avoiding vac equipment , circulator and container  for occational

SB  up to 72 hours.    Im sure this temp would be easily to program into the machine

but the vendor has terrors of cooking < 160 g   too bad.

1 minute ago, Shel_B said:

It's the cutoff point for several modes when used at low temperature.

Yeah, I see that now.  Considering that those modes include Roast and Bake, I wonder if you boost the temperature in those (after starting at 210F), the appliance shortens the cutoff time.  I sure hope so.

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

I no longer have the BSOA, I replaced it with the Cuisinart Steam Oven which I much prefer.  The air fry and toaster functions on the BSOA sucked.

It toasts. Not sure how it could be better.

CSO is great too I use that a lot for the steam cooking.

5 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I no longer have the BSOA, I replaced it with the Cuisinart Steam Oven which I much prefer.  The air fry and toaster functions on the BSOA sucked.

Hi ...in what way did the toast function disappoint you?  The toast made in my BSO is acceptable to me. Perhaps we have different standards? Can the toast in the two ovens be very different?

... Shel

6 hours ago, Shel_B said:

Hi ...in what way did the toast function disappoint you?  The toast made in my BSO is acceptable to me. Perhaps we have different standards? Can the toast in the two ovens be very different?

There's a sect on eG that LOVES the CSO toast.  They appreciate things that  I don't notice, I guess.  I will say that the sealed CSO has a moist heat (from the food) that might have an impact.

• Thanks 1

CSO toast have the doneness and crispy surface you would expect from a quality toaster

but s the oven is sealed , unlike the Breville ovens

the CSO toast does not dry out completely

the center is ' fluffy '  w surfaces crispy.

best toast ever I think

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Shel_B said:

It was very uneven.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, btbyrd said:

There are smart ovens and there are toasters. The former might claim to be the latter, but I'm in the "it's best to have both" camp. I don't eat that much toast, so all I have is the BSOAFP. Its toast takes forever. It is uneven. It is acceptable. 

If you eat toast every morning like I do, "acceptable" is a far cry from just right. Toast shouldn't take forever, but relatively slow is better than fast. Beware of  toast makers that advertise fast cooking; the outside gets browned and the inside is under-toasted. I have a Smeg toaster, and I like it. The perfect toaster doesn't exist.

My daughter in Atlanta has an air fryer, which produces pretty good toast but does take a very long time. I don't have an air-fryer or smart oven., but I admit to being impressed by how fast the air-fryer made "roast" potatoes. When you have hungry and impatient 3-yr olds that is definitely an advantage.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Shel_B said:

Hi ...in what way did the toast function disappoint you?

I think I'm on my 3rd or 4th large BSO, and I agree they suck at toast.  The toast cycles take forever for any breads with no sugar, and the toast comes out too dry for my liking.

Toast from the smaller sizes may be better.

The air frying function I find seriously uneven. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Laurentius said:

The air frying function I find seriously uneven. 

Please define what you mean by uneven. Items in the tray cooked to different degrees? Individual batches cooked differently under similar conditions? Or ... ?

... Shel