• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Toy: Breville/Polyscience Control Freak!

CanadianHomeChef

On 8/11/2018 at 12:33 AM, gfweb said:

You can get a lot of technology for $1300. As much as I lust after this thing, I could get an induction plate, a couple SV machines, an instant pot, a steam oven, a breville air fryer and have money left over.

Or one high-end iPhone. :P

I guess there *are* people who would get more use out of the phone...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

It’s all about perspective. I think $1300 would be well worth it in my situation (at least another year living in a basement suite with a small kitchenette), plus I’ll have it when my situation changes. That being said, I don’t think I would have initially jumped the gun at that price point. The unknown and lack of recourse if I didn’t like the item would have been tough to get over. At $700 I convinced myself I could sel it as “slightly used” if I didn’t like it, and maybe even turn a profit. 

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

https://www.sizzleandsear.com/

Ladies & Gents, 

You're never gonna believe this, but I was the guy that bought mine off ebay Canada for $1300! I came across this forum by sheer accident as I was searching for someone else as crazy as me to buy this amazing product!!

Edited by J.B.Desert (log)
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, J.B.Desert said:

Gents, 

You're never gonna believe this, but I was the guy that bought mine off ebay Canada for $1300! I came across this forum by sheer accident as I was searching for someone else as crazy as me to buy this amazing product!!

Stick around, and let us see how you get on with it. Maybe you'll make more of us envious. :wink:

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 minute ago, Smithy said:

Stick around, and let us see how you get on with it. Maybe you'll make more of us envious. :wink:

And we can all turn ourselves into gents? :wink:

• Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 8/17/2018 at 10:30 AM, J.B.Desert said:

Ladies & Gents, 

Damn you, that was supposed to be my second unit 😂 

Let us know how it works for you. Are you Canadian as well?

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

• 2 weeks later...

I've been making a lot of cast iron sourdough toasties. 5 minutes on each side, weighed down with another cast iron pan.

Nothing that can't be done with other equipment, but very satisfying.

97530.jpg

Edited by flippant
grammar (log)
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't posted much lately as I've been busy with setting up my class for the new school year. Just wanted to say that I still use this daily, and I actually love it for the simple things, like frying an egg in the morning. I find I can multitask a lot better in the kitchen. I actually had many moments where I thought having a second one would be really nice.... so much so, that ordered another one on the weekend! Just got notification that it's shipped.

Yes, I'm nuts, I know............

• Haha 1

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

2 hours ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

Haven't posted much lately as I've been busy with setting up my class for the new school year. Just wanted to say that I still use this daily, and I actually love it for the simple things, like frying an egg in the morning. I find I can multitask a lot better in the kitchen. I actually had many moments where I thought having a second one would be really nice.... so much so, that ordered another one on the weekend! Just got notification that it's shipped.

Yes, I'm nuts, I know............

What did you pay? Wiilams Sonoma has then for $1500

@CanadianHomeChef

I took a walk up to my favourite kitchen store this afternoon and the owner comes up to me and says " I looked into the control freak for your husband".  Me, trying to look and sound casual, but inwardly hopping up and down with glee "I didn't realize he was thinking of buying one".  The owner says "Oops."

I came home and re-read this thread and watched the videos.  I now have a couple of questions

Early on, you said that someone was clearing them out.  Who is this and what us/was the price?

It was also stated that there was some thought that the reason for the clear-out was that a model for a 15 amp plug  was becoming available.  Anything new to add?

And finally, what are the dimensions of this thing?

Thanks!

• Like 2

https://www.testek.ca/en/control-freaktm-induction-cooker-from-breville-polyscience.htm Looks like it's still on clearance.

One thing to know is the 20amp cord is huge. It's like an inch in diameter and 10ft long. I was planning to leave the thing on my counter all the time but the cord takes up way too much space. Not sure if the 15amp version is better.

• Like 1

As Rob said, Testek is clearing out the 20amp Canadian version. It only uses 1800 watts but requires a 20 amp plugin for some reason - probably Canadian regulations. Canada apparently is getting a 15 amp one. 

I got both of mine on eBay from HomeButcher, which is the account for Rodriguez Butcher Supply in San Antonio Texas. This is the American 15amp version.  They were both listed for $1250 but I made some back and forth offers and got them both for $700 each. Both times they were listed in pairs (2 available) and described as demo units. Not sure why they have so many demo units but maybe they are doing trade shows? (I noticed the one I just ordered was shipped from Detroit and not San Antonio 🤷‍♂️). I hope this is helpful. 

Knowing what I know now, $1700CAD is worth it for this technology. But if you want to wait for eBay, the guy from Testek told me he figures it’ll take a year to clear the inventory. 

Edited by CanadianHomeChef (log)

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

As Rob said, Testek is clearing out the 20amp Canadian version. It only uses 1800 watts but requires a 20 amp plugin for some reason - probably Canadian regulations. Canada apparently is getting a 15 amp one

Did they say when this auspicious event might happen?

16 minutes ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

I’m thinking once they clear out the old ones? I’m guessing if they sell both simultaneously, they’ll have to do a major price drop for the 20amp ones.  They are the only Canadian supplier. 

Makes sense.  I decided to write to them to ask about the 15 amp one.  If I hear anything back, I'll post it here.  Meanwhile, hubby and I are having a discussion on the merits of buying one.

• Like 2

The cord is pretty long and thick on the 15 amp version too. I leave it out regardless. The second one will probably be stored away though. 

Couldn’t find the tape measure tonight for dimensions. Will look for it again tomorrow. 

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

Yan from Testek called me this morning.  They ship the control freak with an adapter.  He says the only drawback is that there may be problems using the "fast"  mode but says that is not a big deal.  He also said  a 72 hour short rib that he cooked sous vide on the control freak turned out really well.  My husband says to go ahead and get one but I'm still wavering.  Poached eggs cooked on the control freak look really nice........

Yes, he told me the same thing. I don’t use medium very often. I either use fast or slow. Slow for things I don’t want any temperature overshoot and fast for an empty pan in preheating for searing (overshoot depends on the pan but it’s never more than 30 or so degrees so I can wait for it to come down). Sometimes I’ll start on fast and then bring it down to slow once it gets closer to the target temp.  Medium should be okay, just might take longer to get to temp and recover temp. 

I once deep fried and had it on slow by accident. It didn’t recover fast enough. I can test out medium a bit more.... I think Rob is using the adapter, so you can ask him about his experience. 

I think the only reason you can’t use fast is because the adapter draws a little extra power. As far as I understand, the outlets for 20 amp connections can be installed on a 15amp circuit. The change in plug shape just signifies to the user that there’s a different circuit. Since the appliance only draws 1800 watts Max, you should be able to just plug it in a 20amp outlet on a 15 amp circuit and have no problems on high as long as you don’t have faulty breakers or bad wires (and nothing else is plugged into the circuit)

Edited by CanadianHomeChef (log)

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

I ordered the Control Freak and it will arrive tomorrow.  Yan also forwarded a few recipes which will give me a start at knowing what temperature to cook a few things.  I'd like to say I'm taking one for the team but that would be overstating things.😁  I sure am excited.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Awesome! I know you won't be disappointed! 

Could you send me some of the recipes? I can share with you the temps I found. 

I also found this card useful on the polyscience website: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0561/0929/files/CMC850_Temperature_Chart_original-rev-1.pdf

It didn't come with my control freak... but mine was a demo unit so maybe it got lost? 

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I ordered the Control Freak and it will arrive tomorrow.  Yan also forwarded a few recipes which will give me a start at knowing what temperature to cook a few things.  I'd like to say I'm taking one for the team but that would be overstating things.😁  I sure am excited.

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

1 minute ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

Awesome! I know you won't be disappointed! 

Could you send me some of the recipes? I can share with you the temps I found. 

I also found this card useful on the polyscience website: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0561/0929/files/CMC850_Temperature_Chart_original-rev-1.pdf

It didn't come with my control freak... but mine was a demo unit so maybe it got lost? 

If you PM me an email address, I will forward them to you.  It included poached eggs😁 and hollandaise.  What  they sent me had just been sent to testek this morning from Breville.  It also has troubleshooting tips and the like.

The chef there, Yan,  is really helpful.  He said that if I had trouble with a recipe I could call him and he will help me.  He also suggested I use sous vide tables for some applications.  Off the top of my head, yogurt comes to mind although making yogurt in the IP is dead easy and works every time.  That said, I will likely do a batch just to see how it works out.  

Once I get it and start using it,  I'll check with you on the temperatures.  And thank you for the link in your post.

I just printed out the chart and wow!  Temperatures for tempering chocolate, dark milk and white.  That is one of the things I was hoping to do with it, especially since it will hold the chocolate in temper.  Also given are temperatures for making caramel which will simplify making my salted caramel ice cream.  Etc. Etc. Etc.  Thank you so much!

Also there's some recipes here: http://www.recipes.polyscienceculinary.com/

The following are specific to the Control Freak:

- Lemon Meringue Pie Ice Cream (I'm going to try this once I get my second unit)

- Caramel Sauce (tried this... found the times for the medium sauce a bit too long -- but that might be personal preference interpreting what a medium dark sauce looks like)

- Hollandaise Sauce
- Seafood Paella

- Yogurt

• Like 1

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor