• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

6 minutes ago, shain said:

Thanks. Not sure of the variety I think it is Kent or Keitt, possibly an hybrid.

I thought it looked like a Keitt - but it's hard to tell from the photo.  I just finished a box of about 25 of them! (grown in Mexico). 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I thought it looked like a Keitt - but it's hard to tell from the photo.  I just finished a box of about 25 of them! (grown in Mexico). 

:) I love those mangoes. It's the second best I had, when picked ripe. Best I had was grown by a friend from chance breeding (mangoes are prone to mutate when grown from seed, though not as much s apples do).

I like it being low on fiber, good tartness-to sweetness ratio and having hints of coconut and orange.

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

27 minutes ago, shain said:

:) I love those mangoes. It's the second best I had, when picked ripe. Best I had was grown by a friend from chance breeding (mangoes are prone to mutate when grown from seed, though not as much s apples do).

I like it being low on fiber, good tartness-to sweetness ratio and having hints of coconut and orange.

exactly!

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, shain said:

Annona, gift from a neighbor. I didn't know that they come in red (only ever seen the green type).

o good. To me it tastes like pears and vanilla ice cream.

PXL_20201108_112437309.jpg

That red is stunning.  I am not a custardy fruit person - why my neighbor loved me as I let him have all the white figs he wanted. One place I lived had a cherimoya (related I think) It was big! Owner did not enjoy the fruit so all the Asian and Latin old ladies schlepped over with their bags and filled up (in front yard). I can still smell that sweetness during peak season as the kids rode their bikes and skateboards over them on sidewalk. Took dog across road to avoid stickiness. Now I miss it...and the neighbors

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, heidih said:

That red is stunning.  I am not a custardy fruit person - why my neighbor loved me as I let him have all the white figs he wanted. One place I lived had a cherimoya (related I think) It was big! Owner did not enjoy the fruit so all the Asian and Latin old ladies schlepped over with their bags and filled up (in front yard). I can still smell that sweetness during peak season as the kids rode their bikes and skateboards over them on sidewalk. Took dog across road to avoid stickiness. Now I miss it...and the neighbors

Actually some of the fruits were very ripe and custrady but the rest much less so, somewhere between the very custrady ones and a lychee.

~ Shai N.

1 minute ago, shain said:

Actually some of the fruits were very ripe and custrady but the rest much less so, somewhere between the very custrady ones and a lychee.

Ah!  lychee in ice water and popped free from skins - perfect outside on a hot day with friends :)

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I love pomelos! We don't have a tree, but we exchange oranges and mandarins with neighbors for them every winter.

They are also great in salads.

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

16 minutes ago, shain said:

I love pomelos! We don't have a tree, but we exchange oranges and mandarins with neighbors for them every winter.

They are also great in salads.

Agreed. Round here the peel is also processed and braised with pork.

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Pomelo pith is made into a marmalade-resembling product here.

764612044_PomeloTea.thumb.jpg.f29baf7916cf7f0789714b26607cd855.jpg

92949966_PomeloTea2.thumb.jpg.2b12d906df8c6b71d1ad54d760ac16f6.jpg

Despite its appearance, it is in fact, used for making pomelo tea.

Yes - I enjoy the similar Korean one with honey that I think is citron though I see it as yuzu as well. . A cure-all they say.  Haioreum Honey Citron Tea

• Like 1