• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fruit

liuzhou

First Rainier cherries I've bought this year, $1.82 after discount at Whole Foods. They were "OK".

Rainier.jpg

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

3 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

What made them just "ok"?  I love those things, but haven't seen them around here yet.

Not as sweet and flavorful as they could be.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I picked this up a couple of days ago but have been waiting for it to soften before sharing it.

In Chinese, it was called a 糯米牛油果 (), literally, glutinous rice butter fruit, actually glutinous rice avocado. What is 'glutinous rice' about it, I have no idea. At first I thought it was a long-necked avocado, but at 6 inches it was less than half their usual length. A short long neck avocado?

avo1.thumb.jpg.be41204bff2ab7af13b0d889f38557d5.jpg

Opening it this afternoon, I found it tasted just like a regular avocado with a similar flesh to stone ratio as the regular shaped type. OK. but nothing special.

avo.thumb.jpg.d7c821aea700876df19a83b7d991e75f.jpg

There was no indication as to where it came from. Most of our avocados are from Chile,, due to a tarrif-free agreement with China.

I bought this an hour or so before reading this.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

A short long neck avocado

Sometimes I see that in our national avocados. My favorite vegetable man explained that it happens when the avocado tree doesn't get enough water during the growing season. The seed grows just the same as usual but there just isn't as much Flesh on the avocado.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Sometimes I see that in our national avocados. My favorite vegetable man explained that it happens when the avocado tree doesn't get enough water during the growing season. The seed grows just the same as usual but there just isn't as much Flesh on the avocado.

Yes, but this one did have as much flesh as usual. It was just elongated. Also, from what I've read long-necked avos do have a lower flesh to seed ratio, although I've never seen one in person. I'm a long way from Florida and rarely buy avacados anyway.

Mark Twain

3 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

although I've never seen one in person.

Our national avocados are very similar to the ones in Florida. I don't like them as well as the Hass avocados because it's flesh is too watery for my taste, but they have started to grow the Hass down here now. They still cost about twice what the nationals do.

1 minute ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Our national avocados are very similar to the ones in Florida. I don't like them as well as the Hass avocados because it's flesh is too watery for my taste, but they have started to grow the Hass down here now. They still cost about twice what the nationals do.

Have you eaten the long-necked avocados? 13+ inches.

Mark Twain

9 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Yes, some of the ones that we get here are huge. And we have some that are completely round about the size of a croquet ball.

Posted (edited)

I picked myself up a nice 青木瓜 (qīng mù guā) today. 995g / 2lb 3oz of 'green tree melon' to give the literal translation. What you know as a green papaya, Carica papaya. Originally, native to Mexico and Central America, they are now widely cultivated across SE Asia and southern China. I feel a Thai (มะละกอ), Laotian ((มะละกอ), Cambodian (ប៉ាផាយ៉ា), Vietnamese (đu đủ) papaya salad in my near future. It's rock solid at the moment.

papaya.thumb.jpg.2aa90748646a189ed61ea10bb376de2d.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

Mark Twain

Had som tum at a Thai restaurant last night, how do you know when a green papaya is “ripe” for use?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BeeZee said:

Had som tum at a Thai restaurant last night, how do you know when a green papaya is “ripe” for use?

For ส้มตำ (som tam), when you can cut or peel it without breaking your knife or peeler in half. The one I bought is literally rock hard, but should be OK after a day or two on the counter. It can be difficult to be sure, but if there is even the slightest give when you press it's good to go. I use a peeler to peel it (of course) but also to cut it into strips which I then pound to tenderize.

This recipe is basically what I do.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

Mark Twain

On 6/12/2024 at 8:24 AM, liuzhou said:

When I went to the store today, the only National avocados that they had were the long neck ones. So I bought one. There were others there with longer necks but they looked pretty beat up.

20240616_113814.thumb.jpg.2842af87a28929e6df4ab1cb200950f1.jpg

Then I went to another grocery store, sort of the warehouse type store with cheaper prices and they had the Hass avocados for half the price of the avocados in the first store. The national avocado is pretty hard and will be ready in about 4 days. The little ones are ready to eat now.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tropicalsenior said:

the two little avocados cost about a $1.25.

100g avocados here are around ¥8 each, which is the equivalent of $1.10 USD but then most are imported from Chile which is far away. They are beginning to be grown locally in Yunnan province which neighbours Guangxi where I am, but they are not plentiful, yet. I've only seen them once. I'm sure that will change.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

Mark Twain

@Tropicalsenior  We have the same native avocados as you do, and as we did in FL.  They won't stand up to chiles so a spicy guac is out of the question with them.  A former neighbor here in MX made hers into Avocado Ice Cream which was a delight.  At our current home our next door neighbor's tree overhangs our yard; I pick up the intact fallen ones and save for our gardener....it's a race to get them before the ardillas (squirrels) do 🙂

Haas avocados are grown in both our state (Jalisco) as well as Michoacan next door.  The cartels run most of the large avocado farms and they export almost all of their crop to US and Canada. 

I have been going back and forth between US and MX this past year and I pay about double for avocados when in MX, even though the avocados in my US groceries are all from MX, probably within a few hours drive of my home. 

Edited by gulfporter (log)

Haas avocados at TJ's yesterday are up to $2 each...they normally range between $1.49 and $1.79.

Probably due to this...https://www.nytimes.com/2024/06/17/world/americas/mexico-avocado-inspections-suspended.html?unlocked_article_code=1.1U0.N_Rx.PqPtPW279gJA&smid=url-share

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?