• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Inside Mexico’s anti-avocado militias

While I have no wish to put anyone off their breakfast or whatever, I think this is worth a read.

The spread of the avocado is a story of greed, ambition, corruption, water shortages, cartel battles and, in a number of towns and villages, a fierce fightback

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

17 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

While I have no wish to put anyone off their breakfast or whatever, I think this is worth a read.

Not the first time I've read of the consequences of the especially N. American obsession with the avocado in the last few years, sadly. It's just a reminder of what can happen under the toxic rules of capitalism. Even if with the best of intentions and originally inadvertently. 

2 minutes ago, SusieQ said:

Not the first time I've read of the consequences of the especially N. American obsession with the avocado in the last few years, sadly.

Indeed, me neither. I gave up eating avocados about 8 years ago. Not that they were ever a favourite, lthough I did buy one yesterday because I needed to take a photograph for some work I'm doing for a client. I did feel uncomfortable yesterday then read this this morning!

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I wait until summer and buy avocados from a CA grower at the farmers' market. However, that doesn't solve the environmental problem of excessive water requirements. The amount of water needed to support the almond industry is also untenable in the end.