• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (Late 2016–Early 2017)

scubadoo97

5 minutes ago, shain said:

@Anna N Thank you!
I guess middle eastern cuisine yields itself pretty well to vegetarian cooking. But a vegetarian has to notice his getting some protein, so it's a good thing I'm a bean-head xD

Damn!   I just knew you couldn't be perfect.xD 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Lunch today was a pre-Christmas tradition. My beautiful, dearest, best friend and I always have Christmas Eve lunch together. Today was special as, for the first time, we were accompanied by one other. Her seven-year old son. After a long and bitter custody battle with her idiotic, ex-husband she now has regular weekend visitation rights (after not seeing him at all for over a year). Anyway let's not dwell on that. The boy clearly loves her and I have always known she loves him.

We went for a walk to places kids like to walk, then on to a restaurant for lunch. This place was called 秋香 - qiū xiāng which means Autumn Flavour. It is a type of restaurant which is pretty popular in China. You are seated then presented with a menu and a pencil. Then you tick what you fancy.

menu.jpg

We chose:

Autum Flavor Snails and Organic Chicken2.jpg

秋香螺蛳土鸡 - qiū xiāng luó shī tǔ jī

This is very much a local dish. Go to the next city and they won't know what you are talking about. It translates as "Autumn Flavour Snail (and) Organic Chicken". Here, "Autumn Flavour" is referring to the restaurant name and to contents of the dish. It is the snails and chicken braised in a spicy soup containing garlic, chestnuts, peanuts, purple perilla, dried bamboo shoot* and fresh Sichuan Peppers. Normally it would have chillies too, but we scaled them back because of the kid, who doesn't appreciate them as much as we do.

*Dried bamboo shoot is another local favourite and is almost always served with any snail dishes.

spc.jpg

Fresh SIchuan Peppercorns (retrieved from the snail and chicken dish)

Plain Steamed Ribs with Taro and Peanuts.jpg

清蒸排骨 - qīng zhēng pái gú

"Plain Steamed (Pork) Ribs" These came, as you can see, with taro and peanuts (also steamed) and a couple of lonely shiitake mushrooms. This was kind of bland for me but friend and son liked a lot.

Cabbage and Chestnuts.jpg

板栗炒白菜 - bǎn lì chǎo bái cài

"Chestnut Fried Cabbage". Either an ordering mistake or an over-enthusiasm for chestnuts. I am going for the latter. (Actually, we didn't know there would be chestnuts in the chicken dish - they weren't mentioned.

This was served with rice which had unfortunately been mixed with corn. I hate corn with a vengeance, but friend and son love it, so they were happy. I went riceless, but was happy anyway.

Happy Whatever You Celebrate!

Edited by liuzhou
typo (log)
  • Like 12

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

These cell phone pics are not the greatest, but they tell the story. A few years ago, Deb was forced to find a new job and chose to go with a low pressure position at a truck sales and service shop. Quite the contrast from being on conference calls with foreign countries at all hours of the day and night! She has grown increasingly pleased with her decision. The first Christmas there, the Christmas luncheon consisted of Chinese take-out, no beverages, plastic utensils and most of the guys just left without partaking. Deb was horrified with the situation and took the liberty of volunteering my services for the following year. So, last year I made a big antipasto, sausage and peppers, baked ziti, smoked salmon and cold cuts. It made a big difference and it was actually fun to do, especially when I saw how well it was received by the guys. Yesterday was the second one and, once again, we had fun. One of the guys deep fried a 20 lb turkey out back to add to the feast. This year, I added potato salad, cole slaw, deviled eggs, a smoked salmon spread rolled in fresh dill, some marinated mushrooms, pickles, shredded lettuce and sliced tomatoes for the sandwich makers in the group, to the mix.
First, let me set the stage. It all takes place in one of the garage bays.

Trucks 1.jpg

turkey.jpg

hot dishes.jpg

Smoked wild caught Sockeye Salmon.smoked sockeye salmon.jpgSpread.jpg

It was great to see the guys dig in

More guys.jpg

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 17

What a great story, @HungryChris - how nice to see the holiday spirit brought into the work place!

@liuzhou, I've never seen peppercorns so fresh that they were still on the branch.  Thanks especially for that photo, and for the happy story.

• Like 5

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

@HungryChris, that's just wonderful. We've had Christmas dinners in some pretty unlikely places over the years, and they're always fun. One place I worked, the boss was a Texan and quite skilled at the preparation of brisket. He cooked brisket and we all brought side dishes. Much fun!

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

image.jpeg

Thinly sliced duck breast on homemade bread with a side of gherkins. 

• Like 7

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

OK, so I didn't get any photos of Christmas (Eve Eve) dinner, but here's a pic of Christmas lunch from leftovers.

crimmis eve lunch.jpg

Cranberry salad, potato salad, two slider sandwiches on leftover rolls (one ham, one turkey, both with Swiss, the ham with Dijon, the turkey with curry spread), a handful of olives.

As I took a late afternoon nap and woke up at 5 minutes to six, I missed Christmas Eve 6 p.m. service, so I went ahead and fixed myself more leftovers for dinner -- a slice of cheesecake and a wee dram of eggnog.

• Like 10

Don't ask. Eat it.

@rotuts

It's a traditional dish that's been on every Thanksgiving and Christmas menu as long as I can remember.

1 12-oz bag of cranberries, washed and picked over

1 green apple (I use Granny Smith)

1 red apple (I use Fiji)

1/2 to 1 cup pecans, roughly chopped (depending how much you like pecans; I use a cup)

1 orange

1 small box raspberry jello

1 to 2 cups sugar (I use about 1 1/2) (depends on whether you tend more toward tart or sweet flavors)

1 cup water

Grind the cranberries and apples roughly in the food processor or some sort of grinder. Add the chopped nuts. Zest the orange and add that, then peel and puree the sections and add that. Make a simple syrup of the sugar and water, remove from heat, and whisk in the jello. Pour over the fruit and toss to mix thoroughly.

This is NOT a congealed salad. The jello and simple syrup make a sort of syrupy dressing for it. I don't make it as sweet as my mother did; she used the full two cups of sugar. 

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

Hungary excels at all things meat (and fat) but fails at making cheese.

uv4Tf5s.jpg

Mildly spicy Mangalica sausage.

p0nCkm1.jpg

Smoked goose breast. Have Hungarian goose breasts in the freezer and am going to make this when I get home. Have made something similar using duck breast.

FVWeHBc.jpg

mlQTM5P.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 7

Made me some baked beans.

beans1.jpg

I couldn't find anything close to haricot beans which is what I wanted,and these were the only white beans around. They were labelled as white kidney beans, but the store I found them is notorious for never really knowing what anything is.

Whatever, I soaked then overnight then boiled them with some Chinese cured bacon until the beans were soft.

Then I made a tomato sauce with with one can Italian plum tomatoes and one of Italian cherry toms. This also had onion and anchovy and was simmered in the slow cooker with S+P and some chilli flakes for 8 hours. It is umami rich. 

The beans and tom sauce were mixed and whopped into the oven for another hour. Most are now in the freezer (I started with half a kilo of dried beans) but a few made their way onto my plate for lunch. Served with home made bread and butter.

beans2.jpg

• Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

5 hours ago, Captain said:

I thought I would share our Xmas lunch with you all.

5 hours ago, Captain said:

Everything made by me including the smoked ham except for a couple of bread loafs. 

Very nice. Should hold you until dinner. :)

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

10 hours ago, Captain said:

I thought I would share our Xmas lunch with you all.

IMG_20161225_133902.jpg

IMG_20161225_133846.jpg

IMG_20161225_133917.jpg

Everything made by me including the smoked ham except for a couple of bread loafs.

Thanks for looking.

I don't think you made enough food lol!

Beautiful spread!  

• Like 3

image.jpeg

Turkey soup ( which developed quite nicely in the quiet darkness of the refrigerator) and  Gruyere Toasties.

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

In Tokaj now (since yesterday, actually). Here it's all about (sweet) white wines and freshwater fish.

Menu says "fish craklings", it's actually small bits of deep fried fish. Still nice.

ufJ3Y8a.jpg

I'm in Tokaj so of course I drink Tokaj wine with e.ve.ry.thing. (pronounced "toh-quois", as in (francois" but WITHOUT the "S")

z5knucA.jpg

Nice fish soup

IEcmYXm.jpg

Even nicer fish soup. This one has soured cream and different kinds of freshwater fish.

UEAw52s.jpg

My train to Tokaj. Old but on schedule, not to mention cheap.

smS51rw.jpg

A lovely little town. It's low season here and there's hardly anyone or car on the street. Such a staggering difference having just arrived from busy, noisy, touristy Budapest. Sign indicates a wine tasting cellar or place is nearby. Actually, there are many wine tasting places.

GtqNZgG.jpg

• Like 9

8 hours ago, BonVivant said:

Nice fish soup

IEcmYXm.jpg

Even nicer fish soup. This one has soured cream and different kinds of freshwater fish.

UEAw52s.jpg

BonVivant, I also adore your trip reports, but especially like the little metal old-fashioned buckets your two fish soups are served in. I infer these are common serving dishes in the area you are in? I used to milk a cow into a larger similar version many, many years back.

> ^ . . ^ <