• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gardening: 2016 (midyear)

ElainaA

On 8/3/2016 at 9:12 AM, dcarch said:

Something is very strange this year!

Tomatoes are huuuuge! Wonder what is going on?

dcarch

Ugly, but big

IMG_6796.JPG

Looks like 2.5 lbs, still growing.

big tomato 2.jpg

And still growing growing!

Big tomato IMG_6838.JPG

This year's tomatoes, big, big, but watery and lots of "green shoulder" condition. Not the best tasting.

White Queen. Do they make bread that is big enough for one slice?  :-)

White queen.JPG

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Like 7

Forgot to take pics, but so far I've plucked 4 zukes off the big bush this week. Gathered 4 big gobs of green and yellow beans. Discovered the youngest turkey was the one really demolishing the 90 feet of bean plants, so I fenced it in with an old roll of baling twine.  (The calf did get in there and trampled plenty, but the turkey must have followed her in, and just went to town plucking away at the leaves.)   There are plenty of spaghetti squash growing now, along with the pie pumpkins and hubbards. Still have a few plants that I am completely clueless about.  Discovered a few little cukes growing, and a couple baby watermelons on the massive vines.  The greens on the Oxtail carrots are about 6-8 inches tall, so those are developing well. And, even though the beets went in much later, the beet greens are nearly the same height as the carrot greens!  The kale FINALLY made its way up through the ground, and is 1-2 inches tall as of last evening. Chard is about 3-4 inches. The rutabega and turnips just went wild overnight, and quadrupled in size. (We make pasties up here, so rutabega is a must-have.) The lettuces are doing well, but the spinach never came up. =( 

For whatever reason, the tomatoes are growing like crazy, but not ripening. There must be close to a hundred out there, but no red ones.  Going out to check on it this afternoon, so perhaps some pics might be in order. =) Happy gardening all!!!

• Like 7

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

The first tomatoes that are more than just a snack. Most of them are still solidly green. Very large, very green.

DSC01513.jpg

A few other things I picked - fennel, a green pepper, 2 leeks, some basil and a zucchini. 

DSC01511.jpg

• Like 12

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

3 hours ago, Shelby said:

Ronnie found a house a few towns over selling their tomatoes.  He bought us 6.  They smell really good.

I can't believe I have to buy tomatoes lol.

And worse - you have to leave town to buy tomatoes!

• Like 6

None of the other zucchini plants are even close to this size. I can only guess that a massive pile of chicken/turkey manure was piled there last fall, and that's the reason for the deep green leaves and enormous size.  Just to the left, is the ever growing row of hubbards. Everything is small next to this beast.  The roto tiller is sitting next to the plant, with a tarp over it. 

IMG_1005.JPG

• Like 9

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

Just now, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Rope making?

I thought of something else, but it would have to go in off topic, and one would have to be a masochist.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

The tomatoes are finally getting ripe.

11:00 Am today:

DSC01538.jpg

5:00 pm today. I used about 2/3 of the full size tomatoes. And ate a lot of the cherries. My husband has no idea how many cherry tomatoes I harvest. 9_9

DSC01540.jpg

Edited by ElainaA (log)
  • Like 14

5 hours ago, HungryChris said:

The cow manure compost has really worked wonders. I started making sauce, oven roasting and giving tomatoes away  about a week ago. More compost, but fewer plants next year.

HC

IMG_1758.JPGIMG_1781.JPGIMG_1784.JPG

IMG_1794.JPG

NOOOOOOOO embrace the tomato--never never plant fewer plants...always more plants!!  :D

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Don't give away tomatoes...make THE chutney.....

And the ketchup. And the salsa. And the faux-V8 juice. And I know I had some frozen tomato soup back in January. And there must be more options.

• Like 5

Just now, dcarch said:

tomato powder.

dcarch

Tomato butter. 

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog