• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Is this cauliflower decaying or is it moldy?

gfweb

I assume that it happens where the plastic wrap/covering comes in contact with the top, trapping some moisture...since I usually try to put mine in the veg drawer "face up". I treat it as if it is mold and cut off a decent amount below where it occurs.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Yep at eight dollars a head which is what we are paying for it at the moment we rescue as much as we can!   I have often wondered if we can mitigate the damage by cutting it into florettes and storing it that way. Not many of us find a need to cook a whole head.  

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

it comes from a slight bruising of the area typically from mechanical handling / packaging. 

the damage is already done, but may not be evident, when you pick it up in the store/vegetable stand. 

kept long enough, the bruised area(s) go brown.  slice it off - proceed to chomp.....

Edited by AlaMoi (log)
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Yep at eight dollars a head which is what we are paying for it at the moment we rescue as much as we can!   I have often wondered if we can mitigate the damage by cutting it into florettes and storing it that way. Not many of us find a need to cook a whole head.  

Holy crap $8 ? Definitely glad cauliflower is one of my least favorite vegetable.

• Like 2

Yup.  And it is one of my favourite vegetables. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I've found that those green plastic bags which are marketed to keep salad/veggies fresh longer, actually work pretty well with cauliflower. $8/head is pretty steep---so the bags might be worth trying.  I have cauliflower on my "to grow" list for next spring.

I grate cauliflower and use it in place of rice sometimes, or make a veggie cassarole out of it. Steamed, then mashed up with butter, cheese and bacon pieces...its a great lo-carb sub for mashed potatoes.  =)

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

3 hours ago, heidih said:

Not to rub it in - but almost daily $1 for a huge head at the dollar store......  The local South Asian population piles them up in their baskets.

I was thinking i bet Aldi's has heads for way less then $8. If people want to pay that much good for them, but thats just way too much for a vegetablwe with barely any nutritional value and flavor.

14 hours ago, heidih said:

Not to rub it in - but almost daily $1 for a huge head at the dollar store......  The local South Asian population piles them up in their baskets.

Where, pray tell, is this?  I'm in Florida and it's about $5+/head for conventional (i.e, not organic).  And it is tied with Brussels sprouts and eggplant as my favorite vegetable. Both of these have become very expensive as well  

@Anna N, we aren't doing much better on this side of the border! Last week, the local orchard store wanted $7 for a small head of cauliflower. Wegmans wasn't much better: $5 for a medium-size head. We've gone without.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

12 hours ago, FeChef said:

a vegetablwe with barely any  flavor.

FeChef- your assignment is to roast some cauliflower pieces...halved ...with cut side down... in an oiled tray at 375

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

@Anna N, we aren't doing much better on this side of the border! Last week, the local orchard store wanted $7 for a small head of cauliflower. Wegmans wasn't much better: $5 for a medium-size head. We've gone without.

Yes, it may be $8 a head but I'm not paying it.   Much as I love the vegetable that is just too much.  So I am left wondering how many $8 a head cauliflowers are rotting away. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

15 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Yes, it may be $8 a head but I'm not paying it.   Much as I love the vegetable that is just too much.  So I am left wondering how many $8 a head cauliflowers are rotting away. 

There were a few in the sale bin at the orchard store on Friday for only $2.50 a head. But we still passed, as we've planned our meals sans choufleur.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I know I've been rudely surprised at the grocery checkout when I belatedly realize the $2.99 price marked at the cauliflower bin is "per pound" instead of "per head," shooting that affordable pasta dinner into the luxury realm - of course, I had chosen a hefty 3 or 4 pounder!    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kbjesq said:

Where, pray tell, is this?  I'm in Florida and it's about $5+/head for conventional (i.e, not organic).  And it is tied with Brussels sprouts and eggplant as my favorite vegetable. Both of these have become very expensive as well  

Los Angeles - sure they are from Mexico. Farmers Market and grocery store are more like $3/lb......  I wonder how much the current fad of  cauliflower as a low carb substitute factors in.

Wow, cauliflower in South Africa at the moment is R12.50 per head, which equates to US 83c!!! Per head. To the OP, the black mark is usually where the head has been damaged and spreads to the lower extremities. Just trim and enjoy!

So, this makes me want to get a few heads and curry/pickle them for later - something to do this coming week!

• Like 1

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

17 minutes ago, gfweb said:

At least the entire overpriced head is usable. The giant trunk, after roasting, makes great soup or puree.

Yes.  I also usually slice and cook any leaves that are attached, unless they are awfully mangled.  

23 hours ago, Anna N said:

Eight dollars! And I thought four-five dollars per head here was expensive.