• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 2)

blue_dolphin

nice.

get deux.  if you were dans le(s) Montreal.

on your way to some Smoked Meat at Schartz

http://www.schwartzsdeli.com/

http://www.yelp.com/biz/schwartzs-montr%C3%A9al-2

https://www.google.com/search?q=schwartz+montereal+smoked+meats&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=schwartz+montreal+smoked+meats

personally  order of the FR. menu.  tastier.

@rotuts

I have recently acquired a "cleaning lady" although I can never think of her in those terms but rather as a gift from the gods. If I were to put one more thing in my kitchen it just might be the tipping point............ And if she were to depart .......  No CSO!  

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

8 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I think we could hook something up that pulls down from the ceiling - that's what I need to do at my house.

If this was possible!  Sign me up!  Kerry, I always said you are an enabler :-)

I have added this darn appliance to my wish list on Amazon, so half considering it now.  Hoping the price drops a wee bit more.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Odd occurrence  today.

I routinely do Skinless / tendonless Turkey breasts  with bacon on the top in the CSB

two TB's fit nicely on the tray with the grate.

I do 300 steam-bake for 30 min  and the TB's come out just to 140  which I then let reest

as good or better than SV.  can't by this at any deli for any price.

to day I did the same thing   at 30 min  the thermopened temp was 160

I don't think I make an error with the temp, certainly not the time.

these are still good, but 140 is much better

as this is one of my Main Routine Dishes, I wonder if I make an Operator Error ?

[ed.:  all this Pre- any MR --- so he ways  o.O ]

or the CSB behaved differently.

I used to have an oven thermometer, but who knows where its hiding.

Ill get one at BB&B  aver  le(s) coupon if I don't find it.

would any one here that has an decent oven thermometer  place it in the CSB  at 300 steam bake  for  a few minutes to see that your thermometer indicates ?

many thanks

what I might do is place a remote probe in the CSB and follow the temps and see how they rise and stabilize.

thanks all CSB'eers

Very Interesting Results.  Tracked the temp for 30 minutes, steam bake set at 300F

Program Timer (set for 30 minutes)/Internal Temperature as read by my DigiQDx2 BBQ Guru recorded at the beginning of the program minute.

25   312F

24   295

23   341

20  293

18  342

17 330

16  317

15  295

14  284

13  330

12  340

11  320

10  300

9  281

8  322

7  339

6  325

5  312

4  293

3  288

2  335

1  339

0  329

As one would expect on such a small machine, there are temp swings.  The temperature probe was clipped on the rack in the toasting position.

I guess one would need to check the temperature or what you are cooking more frequently.

• Like 2

nice

ultra nice

so  ....  at 0  the lower number    

what was 329 ?

im my case, its not so much the true temps dans the oven

but what i get out of it

so in the future for me

Ill just check the temp  of the Turks from time to time or start at 275   

but

@Okanagancook  

outstanding work !

• Like 2

With no time left on the 30 minute program timer, the temperature was 329F.  With 1 minute to go on the timer it was 10 degrees hotter.

Thanks.  Had to crack open a beer while waiting :-))

Temperature checking seems to be the way to go.  The door was very slightly ajar with the probe in the oven...a little steam was escaping but pretty minimal.

You're welcome.

I must have cooked several dozen TB w bacon in the CSB   and they all have come out after 30 @ 300 steam-bake   140

this is the first time it went higher.

Ill try 275 next time and check at 30.  I have various probe systems so I might try that

I like the ease of my current system.  but  the TB when it comes out at 140 is worth a little more work.

I roasted a couple of chicken thighs in my 8" cast iron skillet to see how it would work.  Since the skillet needs to be quite off-center to accommodate the handle, I thought the cooking might be very uneven but this was not the case.  This should be helpful in the future if I want to use the drippings from Cuisi-roasted meat or bird to make a pan sauce.

2 thighs, glazed with lemon-rosemary marmalade, whole grain mustard and a little caramelized onion a la Nigel Slater:

IMG_2730.jpg

In to the oven (the very, very dirty oven... I should probably turn that light on more often :$) on steam-bake @ 425 deg F for 30 min:

IMG_2731.jpg

I turned the pan once, at the halfway point.  I forgot to take a picture when they came out but it seemed like there was sufficient circulation to avoid hot spots along the edges.  

You can see one on my plate, over here in the Dinner thread.  

Of course, I should have roasted the thighs nekkid for ultimate crispy skin,  poured out the fat and added the marmalade and mustard to the pan drippings with a little wine or something to make a pan sauce in that skillet on the stove but I was wasn't thinking beyond the cooking step.  At least I know I have the tools and next time....

Edited to add that after I finished posting, I went ahead and deglazed the pan with a little orange juice and white wine and it did indeed make a nice pan sauce.

Edited by blue_dolphin
update (log)
  • Like 7

9 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I roasted a couple of chicken thighs in my 8" cast iron skillet to see how it would work.  Since the skillet needs to be quite off-center to accommodate the handle, I thought the cooking might be very uneven but this was not the case.  This should be helpful in the future if I want to use the drippings from Cuisi-roasted meat or bird to make a pan sauce.

2 thighs, glazed with lemon-rosemary marmalade, whole grain mustard and a little caramelized onion a la Nigel Slater:

IMG_2730.jpg

In to the oven (the very, very dirty oven... I should probably turn that light on more often :$) on steam-bake @ 425 deg F for 30 min:

IMG_2731.jpg

I turned the pan once, at the halfway point.  I forgot to take a picture when they came out but it seemed like there was sufficient circulation to avoid hot spots along the edges.  

You can see one on my plate, over here in the Dinner thread.  

Of course, I should have roasted the thighs nekkid for ultimate crispy skin,  poured out the fat and added the marmalade and mustard to the pan drippings with a little wine or something to make a pan sauce in that skillet on the stove but I was wasn't thinking beyond the cooking step.  At least I know I have the tools and next time....

Edited to add that after I finished posting, I went ahead and deglazed the pan with a little orange juice and white wine and it did indeed make a nice pan sauce.

That chicken looks so good.  I need to thaw one out.

PS--I'm glad to see someone else's oven looks like mine....I prefer to think of it as "well used", not dirty lol.

PPS--I can no longer see, though, because my light bulb in there burned out.  It has it's advantages.

• Like 4

Halibut cheek steam baked at 300 for 20 minutes.  Not much to look at but little morsels of the fish were super tender and delicious.  As a bonus, I made about a cup of very flavorful fish fume wit bones and cartilage.image.jpg

from time to time Ive been able to get cheeks   that were Frozen at TJ's

they were 'fresh'enoogh after a very careful thaw and i  put them in a mushroom cream sauce  that went over mashed potatoes

sort of like 

https://www.google.com/search?q=coquille+saint+jacque+a+la+parisienne&sa=X&biw=1198&bih=1063&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ved=0ahUKEwiI65HM1oTMAhVHHD4KHSfiD_wQsAQIMw

w/o the CSJ's   delicious.

On 4/5/2016 at 11:22 AM, Shelby said:

PPS--I can no longer see, though, because my light bulb in there burned out.  It has it's advantages.

Very nice food coming out of your steam/convection ovens everyone. I covet one.

I know you were making a joke, @Shelby but you do know that most oven light bulbs are easily user replaceable? Most grocery stores sell appliance light bulbs on the aisle with the regular light bulbs, and you can use them in the fridge too.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

I decided to do Country-style pork ribs in both the CSB and the IP at the same time.

here is the pork :

Pork CSR.jpg

it was on sale  $ 1.19  both packages about 4 lbs.

I trimmed off any huge hunks of fat.  there wasn't much to trim off.

Pork Seasoned.jpg

seasoned with Tj's  BBQ rub w coffee and garlic :

TJ's rub.jpg

the IP basket w a similar amour of seasoned pork    it fit, and there were gaps here and there for the Pressure - Steam.  1cup of water on the bottom

Pork IP Basket.jpg

the pork was above the water so   a " Pressure - Steam"  I chose 40 minutes   natural release.

Pork CSB rack.jpg

here are the ribs on the rack ready for the CSB

Pork CSB pre glaze.jpg

here are the ribs ready for the glaze  :  steam bake for 30 at 375, checked by eye-ball and added  10 minutes 425  steam-bake to get to this stage

Pork CSb pre glaze 2.jpg

here they are as above but out of that pan, as the drip-pan was almost full.   I should have used the deeper pan that I got from the Breville mid-sized toaster oven  fit nicely

in the CSB and is deeper.    the little pan that comes with the CSB is a bit of a trial to use  when very hot and almost full of liquid / fat.

pork CSB jus.jpg

here is the Jus I drained out of the pan   about a cup.  I drained it to use the same pan in the CSB for the glazing.  this turned out to be very tasty.

more later on that.

Porek CSB broil 1.jpg

here are the ribs  glazed and steam broil for 10 minutes.   the glaze is TJ's General Tao sauce   I like it and had it.

Pork CSB Broil Glaze 2.jpg

a tough up glaze while still piping hot.

Pork CSB Plate.jpg

and On the Plate.

these were not fall off the bone, but tender with a nice chew.   they were delicious.  w/o the glaze at the end, and a steam-broil on each side  they would have been

outstanding  with that Jus thicker a little,  mashed potatoes, peas    and a green salad.

Ill be making these as often as this cut goes on sale.   both the glazed version as  " BBQ"  and the broiled version with jus - gravy

change any of the rub etc to get the taste you want.

Go CSB !

smiley-money-mouth.gif

PS   the IP version is shorter and will be in the IP thread soon.

PS  the IP had of course more 'jus'  as it started with 1 cup water.    It had good flavor.   I added that to the 1 cup you see above

will de- fat when cold and save and use as the 'broth' for some IP soup in the future.  it really was tasty, and pork-et  Yum.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 5

esp. when they are as meaty as these  ( country - style ) as $ 1.19 lbs

the ribs done in an non-steam oven or BBQ  Im sure would be excellent, but Im convinced the steam - bake  kept them juicer.  at least for

some one like me,   i.e. the steam - bake is very forgiving re dryness.  that's for sure !

how i lust after PedoG's   ElectroLux.  steam overn    2.5 cubic feet !    I could have done a bazillion packs   ( @ 1.19 smiley-money-mouth.gif )

at one session !

BTW  here is the total combines jus   from the CSB  ( more concentrated of course  ) + the IP   ( it started w 1 cup of water under the ribs )

IP:CSB Pork Jus.jpg

this is the real deal pork stock.   I didn't use too much rub  so not salty at all.

will defat and save for some IP soup     on the porky side  and save come IP'd pork bits for that soup !

mostly some fresh vegetables  , maybe some  Udon noodles  etc

its my understanding  in Japan they use quite a bit of pork stock.    its very tasty.   if they dont

well too bad for them.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

this is how I de-fat the stock:   I use a large mason jar, then invert after checking the seal.  very important.   I pre chill in cold tap water. the fat firms up in the top

then chill inverted in the refrig  over night.  the stock pours off and is eventually frozen.   the fat is re-melted and poured into a container that is then discarded. L

DeFat'd.jpg

Im sure I have more than one de-fatting decanter somewhere  but Ive stopped using them long ago as they were difficult to clean.  

I continue to be surprised at how tasty this stock was.

the pork was good re-heated the next day.    the loin portions were dry as one might suspect in both the CSB and IP preps.

in the future Ill cut them out and use them for something else

• Like 5

no not really.   sometimes  I pour off the Jus  just after the chill in cold water.  if you get a really heavy gel just use a spoon and put it in a large pyrex measuring 'cup' as it

has a wider mouth.  you can then warm that slightly in the micro so that it pours easier into the final container.

seems like a lot of steps   but the fat is much easier to deal with this way and that's the messy part.

• Like 2

rotuts - I love your defatting method! Thank you. Going to adopt that. I have loads of wide mouth mason-type jars around here. This house has a septic system. Separating out the fat very well from any juices (even if I am not saving the juices) so I can discard it easily before trying to wash the pan is critical, but messy, time consuming and I just don't seem to do it too well and then, because the fat is still quite juicy, it is difficult to discard easily. Can be put in compost here but the (either brown bags or expensive but flimsy 'biodegradable' plastic) compost bags leak if I put really wet 'remains' in there well before pickup day.

Apart from that, your ribs look divine. I am not even a big rib fan but they had me thinking I should be.

Edited by Deryn (log)
  • Like 1