• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 2)

blue_dolphin

the whole thing is brilliant

I just stopped  by  Yale Appliance, on the way to Tj's for a loaf of Pigs Sourdough

they have stuff like this :

http://www.yaleappliance.com/Ranges/Blue-Star/Pro-Cooking-BSP6010B.aspx

but not this :

Combi.jpg

similar price  BTW

and that's a blast freezer on the bottom.

not to be confused with a Blast Chiller.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

I had a friend visiting last few days.  I used the little oven a few times and she was drooling.  She has an old, old Amana microwave from the Stone Age that will not die and therefore, because she is from that era of waste not want not, it remains in her kitchen.

i think I have convinced to put it out on the curb and get with the new technology.  I think if I send her the link to buy one it may happen.

too much fun spending other people's money....kinda like Egullet's influence on my kitchen spending.:|

If your friend needs even more of  push, point out the energy-ineffiency of older applances.  I don't suppose her power company is giving out rebates right now for such projects? ;)

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

33 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

She actually came up with the efficiency compared to turning on a big oven.  She still couldn't get over the fact that I cooked a whole chicken in it.

A 45 lb one as mentioned on Amazon?xD

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

All that has kept me from getting one of these is the lack of anywhere to put it. After seeing GFWeb's post, currently inspecting the top of the microwave to see what else besides the "junk bowl" will have to move. Didn't take but once turning on the oven when the temps got near 100 to remind me why I don't bake much in the summer. I suspect I'll have one before the month is out.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

So I would like to make some crispy oven fries. I have a couple of lovely russet potatoes and a CSO but a search of the topic brings up nothing about fries.  What say you? Has anybody accomplished this Herculean task with success?   It ought to work brilliantly.  

Edited by Anna N (log)

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

well   I do CSB  russets tranched  in three cuts down he bigger side, but 1/2 cit before hand

down the equator of the Russet

you get 6 tranched  russets   please leave thee skin on.  after a nice wash .

they are not going to be fries as I do them

but, maybe some Northern Research might be worthwhile  

if you are not Fishing dans le Pier.

so cut then thiner, I use a bit of Olive Oil and some seasonings of your chose

then put the Spears das le CSB  at a hight temp as see

Maybe   Super Steam  ( never used it as its too far down le dial for me )

but something really hot.

and then study some more

to hot there?

do it on les deck

worth wile to study

i think

I do larger spears,  and get a good col(u)or to them   and love them

not FF they are, but mighty fine.

Spent this afternoon playing :)

I decided to make something from the manual that came with the Cuis because I'm such a newbie.  

I settled on soft pretzels.   I liked that I could test the steam function along with the baking function.

photo 1.jpg

I had to add another tablespoon or so of water to get the dough to feel right....but that could have been my fault.  Sometimes I'm heavy handed when scooping out flour.

photo 2.JPG

Yes, my pretzel shaping leaves much to be desired.

I  did some with regular salt and some with black salt.

photo 4.JPG

photo 1.JPG

Out of the oven

photo 5.JPG

photo 2.JPG

I thought the tops were getting a bit too brown so I covered these during the last 4 minutes of baking.

These are good.  Very pretzel-y.  The steam function is awesome with bread.  I can't wait to make a  loaf of French bread.

Had to have one with spicy mustard.

photo 3.jpg

Very pleased with this new kitchen addition.  Very very pleased :) 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

well   I do CSB  russets tranched  in three cuts down he bigger side, but 1/2 cit before hand

down the equator of the Russet

you get 6 tranched  russets   please leave thee skin on.  after a nice wash .

they are not going to be fries as I do them

but, maybe some Northern Research might be worthwhile  

if you are not Fishing dans le Pier.

so cut then thiner, I use a bit of Olive Oil and some seasonings of your chose

then put the Spears das le CSB  at a hight temp as see

Maybe   Super Steam  ( never used it as its too far down le dial for me )

but something really hot.

and then study some more

to hot there?

do it on les deck

worth wile to study

i think

I do larger spears,  and get a good col(u)or to them   and love them

not FF they are, but mighty fine.

Well I am going to with 450 steam/bake initially for 20 mins based on serious scientific study (OK a gut feeling that it's only potatoes). 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

I've been thinking about the pretzel process and comparing it to when I make bagels.  I boil the formed bagels in water for about 30 seconds on each side.  I wonder if I could brush them with water and simply steam them and then bake?

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 1:03 PM, Anna N said:

A 45 lb one as mentioned on Amazon?xD

Have no fears.  Note the 2.5 horsepower motor.  That must be one big fan in there:

CSOBox07022016.png

http://tribade.org/Food/CSOBox07022016.png

...photograph of the side of the box if anyone was wondering.

Edit:  added link to picture of CSO motor information.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker
added link (log)

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

A small town just south of where I live has a new restaurant, it's called "Mineshaft Pasty Co.".

Their Cornish pasties are absolutely some of the best I've ever had.  I made a little trip there a couple days ago and picked up six frozen (unbaked) ones to stock my freezer.  The sell breakfast pasties as well and have a couple other varieties I haven't yet tried...I'm hooked on the Cornish type.

I keep thinking that the steam oven would be ideal to bake them in.  (Or maybe I'm try to enable myself?)

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Corn, on the cob, steam setting, 140 deg F, 12 minutes -- as good as sous vide.  Sign me up.

Is the corn steamed in the husk or do you peel it off before cooking?  

When just cooking a few, I usually microwave in the husk for 3 min/ear.

Made baked taters last night.  Phenomenal.  We both agreed they were the best baked taters we've ever had.  Fluffy and creamy at the same time.  I even ate the skin which I never do.  55 mins on bake/steam and then I used the keep warm feature until the rest of dinner was ready.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Made baked taters last night.  Phenomenal.  We both agreed they were the best baked taters we've ever had.  Fluffy and creamy at the same time.  I even ate the skin which I never do.  55 mins on bake/steam and then I used the keep warm feature until the rest of dinner was ready.

Stop it!  You're killing me!  I love potatoes and you're making me really, really want a Cuisinart.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Is the corn steamed in the husk or do you peel it off before cooking?  

When just cooking a few, I usually microwave in the husk for 3 min/ear.

Husked.  I wanted to try unhusked but the ears don't fit.  Next time I may try 10 minutes.  The comparison is to the MC recipe, 60 deg C. sous vide for 15 minutes.  Plus later in the summer there should be even better corn!

Not everyone has fancy kitchen equipment like a microwave.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rotuts said:

what a different steam  makes

Amazon just can't make up its mind :

a few  days ago :

csb.jpg

now

csb now.jpg

Rotuts, that $259.00 price is not from amazon.  Look at the other sellers column.  Amazon's price for the CSO-300N is still listed as $218.08.  Amazon does not show as the main seller at the moment probably because they do not have stock.

Don't see why not.  It isn't very heavy.  I have mine back in the pantry and if I am doing more than toast and want to keep an eye on things I bring it out into the main kitchen and put it on the counter.