• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sous Vide Beets

Chez56

On 9/30/2016 at 8:41 PM, Anna N said:

I seem to recall David Lebovitz discussing the availability of cooked beets in French supermarkets long before I saw them here.

In the South of Italy, there are no fresh beets to be found. The only option, my Northerner mom had to eat beets,  was cooked under vacuum. I grew up despising beets until I had fresh ones. In many vegetables markets in the North of Italy you can find wood oven roasted beets (also onions are sold like that), they are big, tender and flavorful. To me, except some occasions, those are better than all the sous vide, CSO, pcooked, oven roasted beets I've cooked.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/2/2016 at 10:38 AM, Smithy said:

I went on a beet kick last month and bought a small bucket of them.  As an experiment I sliced some, vacuum-packed them with a bit of oil or butter and some herbs, and then sous-vided them until they felt tender. Haven't opened any of the packages yet, but I'll report back here when I do.

I got around to cooking one of those packages' worth of beets last night.

20161121_200405_crop_1074x743.jpg

These beets had been packed with butter and dill, then cooked sous vide until tender - more than an hour.  (I have the time and temperature written down somewhere, if anyone's interested.) Since they cooled they've been stored in the refrigerator with no apparent ill effect. That's pretty good for something packed on 16 September, over 2 months ago.

After I'd bought the bucket of beets and cooked them several ways, my darling informed me that he wasn't "much of a beet person".  Last night he looked askance at me when I hauled out this package.  I told him I had a new idea.  He assured me that he doesn't actively dislike them, he just doesn't particularly like them. (We have this conversation often: when I protest something as he does, it means that I really don't like it.  He assures me that he doesn't mean it that way, but it just doesn't turn his crank.  So I cook something the way I really like it, and we have The Conversation again.  Lather, rinse repeat.)

I sauteed these in olive oil until they caramelized slightly. Sorry for the poor photo quality.

20161121_205038_crop_697x591.jpg

We couldn't tell that dill had been packed with them, but the sweetness and the buttery flavor came through beautifully.  Better than in this picture.

aviary_1479838654557.jpg

Not only am I forgiven; he's decided he likes beets after all.  At least, when they're cooked this way. :D 

• Like 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

WoW

new to this topic !

I do love beets    they are moderately difficult to find in my area  """  fresh enough """  note the ' enough '

however , Ive made them in the IntantPot and loved them.

I have not made SV veg, for no known reason other then Sloth.

I am a student of SV.

in the IP  they are pressure steamed  , not in water for  ' soup '

has anyone  tried each method   :  SV  and IP'd Steam'd- PC'd ?

On 10/13/2016 at 9:44 PM, Tyler Kinch said:

Sous vide root vegetables are the best. 

- Tyler Kinch

Sous vide root vegetables are great. However, as someone who has worked at a place where all they did was sous vide everything....

It doesn't always make sense. 

I could just be bitter because our mashed potatoes took forever, from peeling, to sous vide, to getting the finest sieve we could  and then tammying the potatoes.

"Sense Of Urgency" -Thomas Keller

86ed Chef's Advice

19 minutes ago, nonkeyman said:

Sous vide root vegetables are great. However, as someone who has worked at a place where all they did was sous vide everything....

It doesn't always make sense. 

I could just be bitter because our mashed potatoes took forever, from peeling, to sous vide, to getting the finest sieve we could  and then tammying the potatoes.

I can relate to your bitterness but I don't think the fault lies with the Sous Vide process but with the cheffiness of perfectly smooth purées. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Just now, Anna N said:

I can relate to your bitterness but I don't think the fault lies with the Sous Vide process but with the cheffiness of perfectly smooth purées. 

Fair point! I think, eventually as a cook in that environment. You begin to question your skills when everything is thrown in a bag. Even our custards

"Sense Of Urgency" -Thomas Keller

86ed Chef's Advice

• 1 year later...

I just finished cooking beets sous vide along with my potatoes at 194 F.

Came out perfect! I peeled after cooking. So much easier!  I cooked 90 minutes, it wasn't incredibly large, I would move to 2 hours if larger. Going to test 1 more time, because at work we have a turbo chef oven, no foil allowed. If this works, we can do beet salad like I have wanted to.  I'm very optimistic it will work! 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, OC Chef said:

I just finished cooking beets sous vide along with my potatoes at 194 F.

Came out perfect! I peeled after cooking. So much easier!  I cooked 90 minutes, it wasn't incredibly large, I would move to 2 hours if larger. Going to test 1 more time, because at work we have a turbo chef oven, no foil allowed. If this works, we can do beet salad like I have wanted to.  I'm very optimistic it will work! 

Welcome, OC Chef! Thanks for bumping this topic up. Please do let us know the results of your further experimentation. Photos are also welcome, if you're so inclined. Did you have the beets and potatoes in the same bag? Were the potatoes also whole, like the beets?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown