• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2006–2008 part 1)

Vancouver

The old Trumps space on 2480 Vine (just off Broadway) opened today with a cute little coffee/home made soup and sammich place called Heartattack and Vine.

The owner is a former chef from the Waterstreet Cafe.

1. I love it that you said sammich...

2. I think Heartattack and Vine is an awesome name.

I think I'll swing by tomorrow and give a report!

k

On my way to stellas for brunch, i noticed that red burrito was open ! couldn't see the people assembling the burritoes though  :wink:

:huh:

Didn't I just say that?

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

On my way to stellas for brunch, i noticed that red burrito was open ! couldn't see the people assembling the burritoes though  :wink:

:huh:

Didn't I just say that?

haha I must apologise, I admit to not reading the latest posts before I made mine. sorry about that :cool:

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

Big Al's (formerly and 1st and Renfrew/Rupert?) has opened in the 300 Block of West 2nd.

More news to follow.

I saw a sign flapping in the wind. It would appear they are open.

That location has been a tough one for the last few yeqrs but if he can hang on for a few years : Olympic Village !!!!

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

The venerable Okanagan Wine Shop located inside the Granville Island Public Market is slated to close February 28th. Liberty Wine Merchants is rumoured to take over . . . .

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

Waiterblog has the menus for Century and they look sweet. The room appears very close to being done. It's warm, soaring, ancient. modern and cool. I'm already looking at the wild boar consomme with jalapeno and apple gelee. Mmm...wild boar.

Edited by Andrew Morrison (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Waiterblog has the menu's for Century and they look sweet. The room appears very close to being done. It's warm, soaring, ancient. modern and cool. I'm already looking at the wild boar consomme with jalapeno and apple gelee. Mmm...wild boar.

Grammar Patrol!!

You didn't just say "menu's", did you?

<3,

k.

Bistro 1734 is set to open at - SURPRISE - 1734 Marine Drive, West Vancouver. French theme.

Owners are Daniel Thomas (Cafe de Paris) and Bill Mari. The chef hails from Monsoon Restaurant on Main Street - Patrick Lynch.

When Chef Alain Raye of La Regalade (neighbouring French restaurant) was asked to comment he stated "I have bigger cats to spank.".

Look forward to a late February opening.

***edited to correct Patrick Lynch's name

Edited by Vancitygirl (log)

Gastronomista

Bistro 1734 is set to open at -  SURPRISE - 1734 Marine Drive, West Vancouver.  French theme.

Owners are Daniel Thomas (Cafe de Paris) and Bill Mari.  The chef hails from Monsoon Restaurant on Main Street - Patrick ? - forgive me I can't recall his last name.

When Chef Alain Raye of La Regalade (neighbouring French restaurant) was asked to comment he stated "I have bigger cats to spank.".

Look forward to a late February opening.

What's with the names of West Van restaurants?? First we get Marine Drive (guess where?) and now we have Bistro1734. Come on folks; where's the imagination???

Derek

I heard that Sushikan is now closed, and the chefs are back in Japan. I thought there was a downtown location opening? Apparently the owners think that Richmond might not be ready for such a high-end Japanese restaurant?

Damn...there goes my hirame engawa.  :sad:

How about just taking a walk to Hastings Racecourse? :raz:

"Since when do you have to be hungry to eat?"

Give a man a fish and you’ll feed him for a day. Teach a man how to fish andhe’ll open up his own place right across the street from yours, steal your sous-chef, talk shit about you, haggle with suppliers, undercut your prices, kiss critics’ ass, steal your clients and you’ll eventually curse the day you taught him how to fish.

www.capri19.net

Has anyone been? I got this news release this morning.

Capri 19 a Gastown Destination for Food Lovers

Vancouver, B.C. - If you consider yourself as a food buff, or even if you simply want a good meal at a fair price, think about Capri 19. This Gastown restaurant located in Le Magasin at 332 Water Street is the place to begin a wonderful relationship. Well yes, with your dinner companion, and yes, with the restaurant, owned by two Seri Lancans.

These two chefs are very familiar with the cuccina of Italy. Roger Rasia has had a career in kitchens throughout Europe and who eventually found his niche in Vancouver, with restaurateur Umberto Menghi. Today he oversees his own restaurant with chef and partner Setha Jeyarasa, whose credentials include a stint as sous chef at the Fish House in Stanley Park under esteemed chef Karen Barnaby.

In the tranquil atmosphere of this heritage building enjoy a window seat with a view of Gastown, or cosy up in a circular banquette for a private experience.

White table clothes and serviettes, rosemary-infused extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar are standard fare at Capri 19. And of course the daily made focaccia to begin your meal.

Although Capri19 has an extensive menu of traditional Italian dishes available, owner chefs Roger and Sutha are always poised to create a tailored menu should you want to celebrate a special occasion for a group. Capri 19 also excels in party trays should the occasion be a stand-up cocktail-style party.

Whatever the occasion, Capri 19 is ready to serve you seven days a week, and the kitchen is open until 10 p.m. Stop in for an after-theatre treat, or try one of the original cocktails the bar offers.

Gastronomista

Has anybody heard anything about De Lounge in Richmond? I think it's fairly recent, and they had a few small ads in the Straight.

Edited by eugene (log)

"Since when do you have to be hungry to eat?"

Give a man a fish and you’ll feed him for a day. Teach a man how to fish andhe’ll open up his own place right across the street from yours, steal your sous-chef, talk shit about you, haggle with suppliers, undercut your prices, kiss critics’ ass, steal your clients and you’ll eventually curse the day you taught him how to fish.

I heard that Sushikan is now closed, and the chefs are back in Japan. I thought there was a downtown location opening? Apparently the owners think that Richmond might not be ready for such a high-end Japanese restaurant?

Damn...there goes my hirame engawa.  :sad:

How about just taking a walk to Hastings Racecourse? :raz:

hirame engawa = flounder fin, not horse :wink:

www.capri19.net

Has anyone been?  I got this news release this morning.

I went a couple of times during the summer with Helen. The menu was interesting and a notch above "Al Porto" across the street. The drinks/wines were not inspiring but service was friendly and well executed. It looks like now the location is signalling doom for this establishment as it has for the pass tenants. They have all you can eat pasta for $9.99...not a good sign for a restaurant :sad:

Cheers,

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG