• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Tim Chambers

Looking for one more element to make a new dish "pop"

Hello,

I am currently working on a dish to run as a special at the upscale modern Mexican restaurant that I work at. The dish, as of right now, is this:

Green bean salad with sherry crema, shaved zucchini, and heirloom tomato vinaigrette. The zucchini is sliced super thin and layered out on the plate. I drizzle with vinaigrette and place the green beans (dressed in sherry cema) in the middle, on top of the zucchini. There are also diced heirloom tomatoes and shallots sprinkled around the zucchini.

My boss said that it was all really good, but that it needed something more. Something to really make it pop. Any suggestions?

Something crispy, crunchy, spicy, salty, fatty...Just been reading through the Momofuku book and the thing that comes to mind is a twist on chicaron.

if you just want an accent and not another full out element to the dish , you could go a few directions with herbs or greens.. arugala or cress would give a bit of pepperyness, parsley is always bright, taragon goes really well with green beans.

Green beans are often accompanied with toasted slithered almonds. They give texture without adding more flavour components. You've got enough flavours there already,

• Like 3

I was thinking along the line of fatty, salty and crispy meat. Chorizo rounds or some type of crispy jamon, prosciutto etc.

Porky, spicy goodness.

Is the zucchini salted and allowed to rest for a few minutes before plating; a little pickled, perhaps?

Like the almond ideas, but how about toasted pine nuts instead?

I'd be very careful with pine nuts. Know your source, and know just what nuts you're getting. Many of the nuts on the market can cause a bitter aftertaste that's very unpleasant. http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2010/07/02/128273771/pinenuts-may-be-to-blame-for-that-bitter-atertaste

If you want nuts, go with good Marcona almonds.

Edited by Shel_B (log)
  • Like 1

Definitely something crunchy - seems like all your components so far are relatively soft (except maybe the green beans?). Smoked almonds sounds great.

I lean toward candied pecans. You can make them as sweet/spicy/savory as you want to fit the dish. Put 'em on whole or crumbled.

Dried cranberries or some more Southwestern berry/fruit is a thought too.

• Like 1

Parmesan, mixed with chorizo spices, turned into a crisp if your looking for vegetarian.

Parmesan, mixed with chorizo spices, turned into a crisp if your looking for vegetarian.

Parmesan is not vegetarian

https://www.vegsoc.org/saycheese#.UdrpP8u9KK0

There are vegetarian Mexican cheeses that are made into crisps.

I do not see how this dish represents Mexico or understand its motivation. That might help with suggestions.

If you are executing well, your veg should provide sufficient 'crunch'.

I would suggest some Cilantro or Vietnamese Coriander.

I like the smoked almonds idea, but I would not go sweet with them. Or you could smoke some of the tomatoes. Chervil or tarragon and a little salty cheese would be great too.

Parmesan is not vegetarianhttps://www.vegsoc.org/saycheese#.UdrpP8u9KK0

I do not see how this dish represents Mexico or understand its motivation. That might help with suggestions.

First, thank you for the suggestions everyone.

Second, Parmesan is vegetarian, it just isn't vegan.

Third, this dish was inspired by "Calabacita con crema," a Mexican dish in which zuchinni and other vegetables are cooked in milk and crema, and often tomatoes. I'm changing up the elements a bit, and serving it cold, but the flavor is still there. Just because I'm not making a taco doesn't mean it's not authentic. I would recommend checking out some of the leading chefs in Mexico, such as Enrique olvera. He does a lot of modern things like this where he will play around with classic Mexican dishes

Edited by Tim Chambers (log)

Parmesan is not vegetarianhttps://www.vegsoc.org/saycheese#.UdrpP8u9KK0

First, thank you for the suggestions everyone.

Second, Parmesan is vegetarian, it just isn't vegan.

Third, this dish was inspired by "Calabacita con crema," a Mexican dish in which zuchinni and other vegetables are cooked in milk and crema, and often tomatoes. I'm changing up the elements a bit, and serving it cold, but the flavor is still there. Just because I'm not making a taco doesn't mean it's not authentic. I would recommend checking out some of the leading chefs in Mexico, such as Enrique olvera. He does a lot of modern things like this where he will play around with classic Mexican dishes

The Vegetarian Society disagrees. Authentic Parmesan is made from cow rennet. Don't take my word for it - check with vegetarians. Click the link above.

I have eaten lots of Mexican, including many tacos. I just wanted to know what you were thinking to make suggestions. The sherry was a bit confusing.

Just about all tasty cheese is traditionally made with rennet, a coagulant enzyme complex obtained from an animal's stomach, and Parmesan is one. Vegetarian versions are available.

I think the other traditional ingredients are onion, garlic, chicken stock, and sometimes corn, coriander and/or poblanos. Maybe you could work with one of those, perhaps with a trendy presentation like a dehydrated powder or a fried crisp, rather than just adding it to the other vegetables? Dehydrated corn is commercially available I believe. If the dish is supposed to be vegetarian of course the chicken is out - otherwise maybe a jelly made with chicken stock.

Edited by Plantes Vertes (log)

I agree with what ranchgordo said in the book thread - corn, chiles, and beans are important primary flavors of Mexico. There are lots of other flavors I associate with Mexican cooking. Some are what Plantes Verdes mentioned, but I would sub cumin in place of coriander. Add to it achiote, jalapeños, serranos, habaneros, orange, mango, lime tequila, mezcal, epazote, peanuts, pumpkins, pumpkin seeds, tomatillos, queso fresco, queso anejo, cotija, queso quesadilla, guajillo, ancho, chile de Arbol, jicama, and others I am probably forgetting.

Assuming that your tomatoes are fresh (not cooked), I'd personally consider adding charred grilled yellow corn to your diced tomatoes (I am finding it at farmer's markets near me) and maybe a sprinkling of raw finely diced serranos. Raw poblanos would not be my choice here. I think I personally would leave out the sherry, and maybe experiment with a touch of mezcal (smoky) or tequila instead. I am not an expert on cream, but the Mexican versions I've had are different from what one buys in local grocery stores. It might be important to use the Mexican crema.

This would get crunch and smokiness in, which others seem to like.

BTW, Rick Bayless suggests this dish is an "unbeatable taco filling," so perhaps it could serve as an authentic vegetarian main with some added tortillas.

Edited by Ttogull (log)

I'm also thinking if it's a starter a little bit of brightness/acidity from something like a pickled onion or capers.

I'd add something unexpected! If it tastes light cover it with few drops of fresh lemon juiсe and serve with cranberry or raspberry sauce. That will add more colours and smell.

Or if you think that berries don't go good with tomatoes than use a bit sweet banana sauce. And do not mix this all. Let your visitors experiment and share their experience and take part in creating Perfect salad. :smile:

Maybe add a little jalapeno, cilantro and lime to the tomato/shallot mixture to punch it up.

• Similar Content

• By gulfporter
      Chiles en Nogada are traditionally served only for Mexican Independence Day (16 de Septiembre).  Every household and restaurant have their own version.  In years past we have eaten as many as 12 different versions in the course of the week long celebration.   Certain things about it never change: always poblanos, walnuts, pomegranate seeds and dried fruit (though the types of dried and fresh fruit vary as does the ratio of fruit to meat).  And the cream sauce is always room temperature, never heated.  

Not only is it a tasty dish, it is about the prettiest meal ever put on a plate.  

I have made them at home (but not for several years).   Rick Bayless's recipe is the one I used.  
      http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/pork-and-fruit-stuffed-chiles-in-white-walnut-sauce/

The history of the dish is one of creating a festive dish on the spur of the moment with limited ingredients. 
      https://www.tripsavvy.com/chiles-en-nogada-1588803

• By Kasia
      Courgette cutlets

I found the recipe for courgette cutlets at www.gotujzcukiereczkiem.pl. It appealed to me at once for three reasons. Firstly, the courgette is my favourite vegetable. Secondly, cutlets, pancakes and crumpets are my children's favourites dishes. Thirdly, this dish is fast, simple and is always a success. You must not use FB while frying, because it may end with you ordering pizza for dinner 

The cutlets are mild and their flavour is spiced up with feta cheese. You can complement them with your favourite herbs. In my kitchen there is always basil, dill, peppermint, rosemary and thyme. This time I chose dill (in accordance with the recipe) and thyme.

Ingredients:
      400g of courgette
      1 egg
      150g of feta cheese
      110g of breadcrumbs (+ 4 tablespoons for the batter)
      2 tablespoons of minced dill
      1 tablespoon of thyme
      salt and pepper

Wash the courgette and grate it. Add salt and leave it in a bowl for 15 minutes. Drain it then mix in the egg, feta cheese, breadcrumbs and herbs. Spice it up with salt and pepper. Make small cutlets with the mixture and fry in oil. Serve with natural yoghurt.

• By Bijay@Sugar Daddy Bakes
      I am a Baker and Cake Decorator in India. India has a huge Vegetarian Population that does not even eat eggs/gelatin. So I am constantly looking at finding vegetarian options.

Issue at Hand:
      Regular Butter Cream - American Butter Cream ( Icing Sugar 10X + Butter + Milk/Lemon Juice / Cream) is an option ..and a lot of decorators use this as it sets hard, and they also add shortening into it ..and I am like , Nope I can't eat that , much less serve it. Its too Sweet /Gritty and Crusts and just tasteless. It has also made sure that people in my country to completely throw out any butter cream cake . You say Butter Cream and they say - too Sweet/gritty.
      I have been successful in the last two years to break that impression by making European Meringue based butter cream - I love Swiss Meringue Butter Cream . It is smooth, just sweet enough , takes colour well, pipes well , and is mostly temperature stable. But I can't serve it to people who don't eat eggs.
      I have so far been making a substitute - Ermine/Rue/Cooked Butter Cream - a Flour + Milk+ Sugar custard (AKA Pastry Cream minus the eggs) and whipping butter into it. It tastes good - people like it ..nut its a misery to work with - will not hold shape , will not colour well , and most of all weeps and weeps some more when we chill the cakes.

So I am looking for suggestions on finding a starch that will not weep  when frozen in a custard? And my second approach is to move to Aqua Faba to build the meringue and make SMBC. The starch custard option is easy and economical and does not leave me with mountains of Chickpeas .

would  love to hear thoughts . 

Thanks  
    • By Kasia
      Creamy soup with broad beans

During my last visit to the fruit and vegetable market I bought so many broad beans that I didn't want to risk cooking everything at once. I prepared a rich, creamy soup with them. The green soup, served with a bit of thick yoghurt and nigella, was very tasty.

Ingredients (for 5 people):
      1 kg of broad beans
      half an onion
      1 clove of garlic
      1 tablespoon of butter
      4 sprigs of thyme
      1 tablespoon of caraway seeds
      vegetable stock
      5 teaspoons of thick natural yoghurt
      2 teaspoons of nigella
      2 tablespoons of sunflowers seeds
      salt and pepper

Cook the broad beans in salty water with the caraway seeds, drain and peel them. Try not to eat everything. Chop the onion and garlic and fry them in butter. Put the peeled broad beans, onion, garlic and sprigs of thyme into a saucepan. Pour in the vegetable stock to cover the vegetables and boil for 10 minutes. Take out the thyme and blend the soup to make a smooth cream. Add vegetable stock until you have the right consistence. Roast the sunflower seeds in a dry pan. Serve the soup with thick natural yoghurt, nigella and sunflower seeds.

Enjoy your meal!

• By Kasia
      My quesadilla

Today I would like to share with you the recipe for a dish which meets holiday requirements. It is easy, and it doesn't need sophisticated ingredients or an oven. A frying pan is enough. Quesadilla, the dish in question, is a tortilla with melted cheese. The rest of the ingredients you choose at your discretion. Red beans, pepper, chorizo or fried meat all work brilliantly. I added fried pieces of turkey leg. Thanks to this, my dish could be a holiday dinner.

Ingredients (for 2 people)
      4 tortillas
      300g of turkey leg
      half a chili pepper
      half an onion
      1 clove of garlic
      2 tablespoons of oil
      200g of tinned sweetcorn
      200g of tinned red beans
      fresh pepper
      200g of mozzarella cheese
      salt and pepper

Cube the meat. Fry the diced onion, garlic and chili pepper in oil. Add the spiced-up-with-salt-and-pepper meat and fry on a low heat until the meat is soft. Cube the pepper. Drain the sweetcorn and red beans and slice the mozzarella cheese. Put the tortilla into a dry, heated pan. Arrange the meat, sweetcorn and red beans on it. Cover with the slices of the mozzarella cheese and the second tortilla. Fry on a low heat for a while. Turn it and fry a bit more until the cheese has melted. Put it on a plate and cut it into triangles.

Enjoy your meal!