• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Wild Rice Question

Shel_B

I want to make a baked pilaf with long grain brown rice and cultivated wild rice. Will the two ingredients cook at about the same rate? Can I bake them together?

... Shel

try a small test batch and taste each component. that would give you the info you want.

Well, that's what I did last night. I boiled the wild rice for about ten minutes, let it cool, and then added it to the uncooked brown rice which was already in the baking dish. Added the appropriate amount of hot stock, and put the dish in the oven for the usual amount of time/temp for the brown rice.

The results showed that the cultivated wild rice needs to be cooked a little more than the brown rice in order to obtain the desired texture and flavor. The ten minute pre-boiling of the cultivated wild rice was not quite enough, so next time I'll pre-boil it for longer (maybe twenty minutes) and see what the results are.

... Shel