• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What did you buy at the liquor store today? (2013–)

eatrustic

In response to the recent increase in tax and duty onAngostura, I decided to stock up.

So I got some Old Bitters, some new Bitters and some faux-old Bitters

Do you ever have to explain to concerned customers that no, actually, you're not photographing them, you're just photographing the bitters?

No recent purchases of my own, but: my significant other's on vacation in Costa Rica with her family. When she mentioned to her mother that she wanted to try Cuban rum, her mother was all too happy to oblige... and came back from the liquor store with Bacardi Silver, because it says "casa fundada en Cuba" on the label. Ay, mamá.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

I've discovered one advantage of having to spend too much time on the "wrong" side of the Hudson...some of the liquor stores aren't sold out of this:

attachicon.gif20130521_134653.jpg

I've discovered this same fact while trawling the seedier liquor stores in my area. The best part is that I've found bottles for very reasonable prices, around $30.

Replenished my Campari supply and got a bottle of the new-production Lemon Hart 151 for experimenting with dilution (to see how it compares to the old product).

I also finally broke the "clear spirits should be cheap" ceiling and got a bottle of Bols Genever. This stuff is AWESOME - I had a maybe half ounce tasting and I can't wait to use it in drinks. Suggestions? I'm guessing Jerry Thomas-type stuff.

Speaking of more expensive clear spirits, I also got some Mezcal. Fidencio Clasico Joven. $5 more than Del Maguey Vida, and I prob should've got the Vida. The Fidencio starts out OK, but it has a really gnarly and unpleasant acrid taste on the finish, the second the tongue is dropped off the palate. I hope it redeems itself in cocktails, because I really can't drink it straight.

Jerry Thomas is right: start with an Improved, or cool down with a John Collins. Enjoy an Ice Pick, or <self promotion> a Tammany Hall </self promotion>. I also like the Bols neat. It tastes like liquid sourdough, and I mean that in a good way.

More cocktail ideas here.

Edited by Rafa (log)

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

Hell, I'll take it.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

I also finally broke the "clear spirits should be cheap" ceiling and got a bottle of Bols Genever. This stuff is AWESOME - I had a maybe half ounce tasting and I can't wait to use it in drinks. Suggestions? I'm guessing Jerry Thomas-type stuff.

In addition to the John Collins and the Ice Pick that have already been mentioned by Rafa, other favorites are Eric Alperin's version of the Holland Razor Blade and David Wondrich's Barbadian Gin Punch Swizzle. There are more ideas in the Genever thread.

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

• 3 weeks later...

From the last month or so:

Elijah Craig - Barrel Strength: It's very Stagg-like, but just not quite as good. Which is to say, it still awesome.

Flor de Cana 4yr White - basically for Daiquiris during the summer. Oh, and it was on sale...for $7.99/750ml. I bought two bottles - it should last the summer.

Campari - because we run out so quickly.

Miracle Mile Candy Cap Bitters - the few times I've had a cocktail with these bitters, they were mind-blowing. I have this feeling, I'll be putting these to work very soon.

St. Vincent Orgeat - http://stvincentsyrups.com/ - Made by a local Los Angeles-area bartender and available only behind the counter at Barkeeper. As I mentioned in the Drinks Thread, it's not shelf-stable, so it stays in the fridge. It's apparently responsible for there being a surge in Orgeat-containing cocktails all over Los Angeles bar menus. Based on the first cocktail I made with it, I'd say that's a fair conclusion.

Pre-Father's Day sale on whiskey at Astor Spirits, so I went in and re-upped on Rittenhouse and WT 101. Had to fight off the urge to try Widow Jane or Smooth Ambler, but this was everyday bottles, not a splurge.

However, since I was almost out of gin as well, I threw a bottle of Beefeater 24 in the basket -- should carry me through at least part of summer.

"The thirst for water is a primitive one. Thirst for wine means culture, and thirst for a cocktail is its highest expression."

Pepe Carvalho, The Buenos Aires Quintet by Manuel Vazquez Montalban

I certainly second the AE rum cask finished rye! Just wish I could get it in Georgia rather than have to find alternative ways to get it. Hopefully it will eventually make it here as the bourbon eventually did.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Nice to meet you all on eG. Restock of Campari, and babby's first bottle of Tanqueray. I've only used Beefeaters up until now, but the Tanq was actually cheaper for a change. They made a very nice Perfect Negroni yesterday evening.

IMG_20130621_170217.jpg

it was a twelve pack of golden and technically I bought that a the beer store. ;) I am not really interested in white rum but my wife insisted she needs it for a huricane recipe she wants to try so I picked up the 200 ml bacardi

GEDC4003_zps7ca1d47c.jpg

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Went to Mac's in Atlanta as well as Total Wine. Picked up the Plantation 20th, Scarlet Ibis and Lemon Hart 151. So far I've sampled the Plantation. At first the coconut undertones overwhelmed but on subsequent tastings it came off as more balanced. An enjoyable sipper for sure though still exploring to see if I would repeat.

june 13 rum haul.jpg

I was out of town the last few days, and my girlfriend was patient enough to indulge my hobby and let me stop off at a couple of liquor stores so I could pick up some things I cannot get in town. I managed to pick up

Ansac VSOP Cognac(Great Bargain)

Dry Fly Gin

Bittercube Bolivar Bitters

Breckenridge Bitters

Now off to sample the haul!

Tequila and Cointreau, which I'm gonna mix with lemon juice, orange juice and frozen strawberries in my blender and serve some decadent strawberry margaritas in the warm summer breeze ... or in front of the fire place more likely.

• Like 1

I don't usually like the sweeter drinks of summer and I don't typically reach for vodka... But living in Texas and seeing this enticing bottle of Deep Eddy Ruby Red Vodka from Austin got me curious. So I bought a bottle and it is delicious. Here's what I made to sip on the patio...

1.5 oz Deep Eddy Ruby Red

1oz Reposado Tequila

.5 oz Aperol

.25oz agave nectar

Muddle a slice of jalapeño in a mixing tin (optional, but recommended!). Add all ingredients. Fill with ice, shake, strain into glass with fresh ice (or into a cocktail coupe... No ice)

Garnish with a jalapeño slice or grapefruit twist

Cheers!