• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Air Fryer topic

Keith_W

IMG_3471.thumb.jpg.140908f4eb05e8ac2c90437e7ec0a1bb.jpg

TJ's gyorza , from frozen  400 F  13 min 

TJ's chili sauce ,     

crispy tops , soft sides and bottom . juicy hot interior.

perfect 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, rotuts said:

nothing new ,

two large russets ( from the pick your own bin )

sliced in half at the equator , then in thirds. 

EVOO // chili lime no salt spice blend

IMG_3480.thumb.jpg.5accdc387d430753597a963b9e2bb120.jpg

about 14 min 400F .

I did not rise them after the cut , nor then use hot water , and dry ( from ATK )

simpler the better , as long as the results are winners .

this was a winner .  the thinner ones were crispier , and I ate them first 

the thicker ones lost their crispness , but not their exterior flavor 

and the innards were like a fluffy baked potato , still piping hot.

easy-peasy  

my method for   AirFryerEasy    is to start cold,, ignore the ' flip ' beep

but check a few minutes before expected done time time .

try to make a note of the times in the Red AF Book.

a jiggle of the tray is allowed .  nothing more.

Did you turn them during the cook?

@ElsieD

no .  Im using the AFas a two channel unit:

Start then beep for done.

I do check a few minutes before the projected time

to see what's going on  out of curiosity

Ill do a light shake , bur don't tale the hot pan out until the end.

delicious results so far .  

no fiddle nor fiddle at all.

clean up :

cool pam completely , on top of the unplugged unit

then , in the sink :  hot water liquid soap , and use a soft brush and let sit.

I lift up the insert and bush over each side  

then let sit in the hot water.

rise then or later.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

I'm really tempted .... some of the recent reviews (of the larger units) are reporting a strong chemical/plastic burning smell that seems to not go away.  Perhaps it might be limited to the larger units?  Did anyone experience that with the smaller 6 qt? I started watching one of the videos for the 6 qt unit and realized that 7 chicken wings (shown in the video) are never going to cut it around here ;)

I have a SmartOven Pro, do I really need this?

on Amazon , in the review section 

one person said the plastic smell dd not go away .

I forged ahead anyway.   the instruction booklet said 

there would be a plastic smell for a bit , on the ' test '

but it would pass.

fortunately , it passed for me.

that was one review on Amazon that said it didn't.

all the rest didn't day anything about it.

so ....

good luck.

mine is turning out to be a fine purchase.  

P.S. its 50 % off.

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/153880-current-sales-deals-and-bargains-part-2/page/65/#comment-2417921

Edited by rotuts (log)

@JeanneCake

not wishing to spend your money

and hopefully you will get a unit just like mine 

on the second ' heat in '  ( I did two ) 

there was no plastic aroma 

this is a spectacular deal .

I don't regret paying full price , a month ago .

this has a solid place , 

and very useful , for what it does. 

• Like 1

First Chris Young's video about fries that explain how an air-fryer work and then I think seeing Air Frying instructions on Toaster Strudels got me thinking...

Visit to Williams Sonoma after reading far too many reviews and we have this in our house that fits perfectly and it's BLUE!  The pro version is too deep.

20240307_113434.thumb.jpg.2829b8061656cd2bae72f5f9328e7419.jpg

I had just made french fries for lunch in it, here it is next to our vacuum sealer.  On top of a cutting board so it doesn't damage the granite.

I've used to beak bread, bake meatballs, and make a lot of fries...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've been holding out against the air fryer for the longest time, given I have a Breville and a Cuisinart steam oven, and mostly those do what I want them to do.

However, I'm coming close to giving in after watching this Chris Young video where he explains why the top-mounted fan and air circulation pattern of (basket-style) air fryers produces better fries in less time using his technique.

One of the things I have been annoyed by lately in my Breville is that roasted potatoes end up getting tough by the time they get crispy. I suspect I could do a multi-step boil/steam-then-bake process but  it's just too much for a weeknight. I sometimes see the same thing with other foods (e.g., Trader Joe's frozen chicken).

Currently very tempted by this Ninja model at Costco with a wide basket that can be divided in two, and a bread proofing function; I don't have a great device for proofing currently.

As lindag has mentioned the Instant Vortex is a fine machine - I have the one with dual baskets that can be individually controlled as per time and temperature and can be synced so both items finish at the same time

p

• Like 1

On 3/5/2024 at 6:50 PM, rotuts said:

mine is turning out to be a fine purchase.  

P.S. its 50 % off.

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/153880-current-sales-deals-and-bargains-part-2/page/65/#comment-2417921

And, according to @rotuts it's currently on sale.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

@lindag — thanks for forwarding those recs!

@rotuts — good catch on the sale, I have been watching for one on that model without much luck.

One of the issues I've run into is that there are so many models from the same companies that it's hard to make heads or tails of any review. I had looked at Consumer Reports as I don't have a ATK subscription anymore. They liked 3 Instant models: the 4qt Vortex Plus, the 6qt Vortex Plus, and...the 6qt Vortex Plus (?!) 

Based on that I would have guessed that similar looking machines from the same brand would be largely interchangeable, but somehow the non-Plus "Instant Vortex 6qt" was their lowest-ranked machine. 🥴 

CR liked the Ninja models they did rate, and it seemed like ATK's complaints were mostly about basket shape, which is completely different in the one I was looking at.

I trust folks here a lot more than pretty much any rating site which I guess is why I posted. (That and I really did find Chris Young's explanation interesting.)

@palo — is yours the dual basket with the removable divider (same AZ link as Rotuts posted, different style)? That's the feature I really liked in the Ninja and it's about the same price (and a little smaller which is probably helpful).

Im happy with mine.

does what I want it to do .

cleans up with minimal attention.

so 

Im pleased this  one turned p

and Im pleased I go it when i did .

20 hours ago, palo said:

@dtremit no, it has 2 separate baskets 

I tend to use only the one, although a couple of nights ago I did use both baskets for different foods at different temperatures and different times and using the sync finish feature they were both ready at the same time 😀

Got it, thanks! I am leaning in that direction. Part of me thinks the one with the single basket and removable divider would be better; I could use it for browning bigger things. OTOH the two baskets would be easier to clean (only have to clean one if I only use one, and would fit in the dishwasher easier). Either way I think they're the same air fryer with just the basket swapped; the buttons are exactly the same. (Yours seems to have a slightly fancier display with the "Add food..." bit.)

@dtremit this one has two separate baskets, two separate heating coils and two separate fans, so basically you're getting two separate air fryers, however the control functions for both are integrated into one unit

• Like 1

On 3/7/2024 at 9:58 AM, Raamo said:

we have this in our house that fits perfectly and it's BLUE! 

I've had a series of Breville toaster ovens.  I like most functions, except it isn't a particularly good toaster, and I think the air fryer is underpowered (just a scosh more air movement than the convection setting), and the AF rack usually requires rotating.

Overall, I'm happy to have such a Jack-of-All-Trades appliance, because it obviates the need for multiple larger and single-use ones.

Enjoy the Breville!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Laurentius said:

I think the air fryer is underpowered (just a scosh more air movement than the convection setting), and the AF rack usually requires rotating.

Air frying is not one of its strengths although it does everything else well, btw have you ever tried to clean those baskets after a messy cook - easy-off is just a starting point

p

4 hours ago, Laurentius said:

I've had a series of Breville toaster ovens.  I like most functions, except it isn't a particularly good toaster, and I think the air fryer is underpowered (just a scosh more air movement than the convection setting), and the AF rack usually requires rotating.

Overall, I'm happy to have such a Jack-of-All-Trades appliance, because it obviates the need for multiple larger and single-use ones.

Enjoy the Breville!

I've had zero problem getting toasty fries, so even if it's not the most powerful it still crisps up nicely!

I haven't needed to rotate the rack, I've tossed the items on it twice, but often I haven't had to.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, palo said:

have you ever tried to clean those baskets after a messy cook

Yes.  When I first got the thing, I was expecting cleaning that tray would be a nightmare.  But so far it hasn't been bad, even in a house w/o a dishwasher.  I think I've only had to break out the Carbon Off once.

Edited by Laurentius
Spelling (log)

19 hours ago, Raamo said:

I've had zero problem getting toasty fries, so even if it's not the most powerful it still crisps up nicely!

I haven't needed to rotate the rack, I've tossed the items on it twice, but often I haven't had to.

You must know some secret I don't.  Last night I AF'd 10 frozen panko-breaded prawns in the Breville, and it required multiple tray and morsel turns to get somewhat even results.

Breville acknowledges this in their instructions, and that's why they included a "turn reminder" feature.

Have you noticed the AF function almost always takes longer than recommended on the food packaging?  These prawns were supposed to bake 8-10 minutes at 400F;  I had to AF them for at least 15 minutes at the same 400F to turn them brown.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful to have the Breville.

• Like 2