• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Air Fryer topic

Keith_W

Does anyone have experience with the Ninja Foodi SP101? It's a relatively uncomplicated Ninja product, I think, that appeals to my best friend as a replacement for her toaster oven which is on the way out. It's this one: https://www.ninjakitchen.com/exclusive-offer/SP101WBKT/ninja-foodi-digital-air-fry-oven/

In rereading this topic I see multiple versions of air fryers and grills, but I'm not finding anything specific about this model: good, bad, reliable (or not). Advice would be appreciated. She isn't going to go for something elaborate like a programmable (Anova) or steam, but there may be something better out there that is easy, relatively inexpensive, a good countertop oven but that still makes good toast.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 2 months later...

I think the food media evaluaters have pointed out that the original marketing term including the word "fryer" was a lean to fat phobia amd implied the food would taste like classic fried food. but if you see it as a small oven with circulating air/heat it has its place, My son and his 2 roomates have one, They have diffrent work hours, want to prep their own fresh food, and find it suits them. I've spoken to others who also value it the same way.

https://www.seriouseats.com/how-do-air-fryers-work-7097606

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
53 minutes ago, wibago said:

It's for a family of three. DD, SIL and my grandson.

Largest one possible and don't choose the "oven type" - racks have to be re-positioned and allow food and coatings to fall through, they claim a larger volume but the reality is different - "Instant" makes one that I would recommend

https://www.amazon.ca/Instant-Pot-Vortex-Plus-Fryer/dp/B07VHFMZHJ/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3L5L3IXK9WRU3&keywords=instant%2Bair%2Bfryer&qid=1686389888&sprefix=instant%2Bair%2Bfryer%2Caps%2C79&sr=8-5&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.71722c10-739d-471b-befb-3e4b9bf7d0d6&th=1

Prices have gone up by about $CDN40 since I got mine!!!

p

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thoughts about the Ninja airfryer AF400EU vs. the Philips Avance Collection Airfryer XXL HD9650/90?

I know nothing about the overall quality and results of either brand's food-prep units, but one or the other appears to be on the horizon for me.

Mostly, I'm interested in getting good results with roast chicken and something approximating fried fish, for one or two people at a time.

I prefer a fair amount of control over my devices, and don't much care about preprogrammed settings.

Longevity and reliability matter, and...is one easier to clean than the other?

Anyone care to weigh in on one or both these units?

Thanks!

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Ninja has a clever design with the two drawers (i say that without having read this entire topic; perhaps two drawers is common configuration), but it appears to me that the drawer size means that a whole chicken will be a tight fit. Overall, the unit looks pretty big, but if I'm reading the specs right (my Danish is rusty), neither drawer can be much wider than 7-1/2 inches. 

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Thank you!

14 hours ago, palo said:

Air Fryer preprogramed settings are just programmed in suggestions - personally I just choose "Air Fry"  and choose my own temp and time

p

I know...I mentioned the thing about the programs only to indicate that their absence wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me.

14 hours ago, Dave the Cook said:

Ninja has a clever design with the two drawers (i say that without having read this entire topic; perhaps two drawers is common configuration), but it appears to me that the drawer size means that a whole chicken will be a tight fit. Overall, the unit looks pretty big, but if I'm reading the specs right (my Danish is rusty), neither drawer can be much wider than 7-1/2 inches. 

Sorry about the Danish, I wanted to link to the model numbers and images, and this was quickest. I don't care that much about being able to roast a chicken whole, halved would be just fine!

14 hours ago, gfweb said:

I have the Breville and am happy with it.  You could easily airfry a chicken and it still works as a traditional oven

It looks good, but I'd prefer the kind of air fryer with a drawer. My oven is okay, I just hate roasting anything with any significant amount of fat in it, such as skin-on chicken, because cleanup is horrendous, but since it's part of the flat I'm renting, I have to return it in pristine condition.

• Like 1

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

I have a Cosori Duo Blaze that I love.  It heats from the top and the bottom.  Very easy to clean as well.  I've done whole chicken in there as well as those that have been spatchcocked with good results (albeit a tight fit).

• Like 1

We have the Ninja 5 in 1 indoor grill and air fryer combo but use it only as an air fryer. We also have a ‘toaster’ oven with an air fryer setting. My experience is that any air fryer in an oven configuration is going to be a bear to clean. Our Ninja has a basket in a basket design that makes it extremely easy to clean.

Ninja AG301 Foodi 5-in-1 Indoor Grill with Air Fry, Roast, Bake & Dehydrate, Black/Silver 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Midlife said:

We have the Ninja 5 in 1 indoor grill and air fryer combo but use it only as an air fryer. We also have a ‘toaster’ oven with an air fryer setting. My experience is that any air fryer in an oven configuration is going to be a bear to clean. Our Ninja has a basket in a basket design that makes it extremely easy to clean.

Ninja AG301 Foodi 5-in-1 Indoor Grill with Air Fry, Roast, Bake & Dehydrate, Black/Silver 

I previously had this machine and it was indeed wonderful.  My only complaint was that it took up a lot of real estate.  I switched to the Cosori when after 2 years the sensors on the Ninja failed,  but while it worked it was great...

14 hours ago, saluki said:

I have a Cosori Duo Blaze that I love.  It heats from the top and the bottom.  Very easy to clean as well.  I've done whole chicken in there as well as those that have been spatchcocked with good results (albeit a tight fit).

The Cosori appeals to me because of the Thaw and Cancel functions, but I don't know whther I'd actually use them.

If you decided to replace your current air fryer (and let's say it lasted exactly as long as you Ninja unit), would you go with the Cosori Dual Blaze again, or a Ninja Foodi?

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

• 4 weeks later...

I loved the Ninja AG301 Foodi 5-in-1 Indoor Grill.   I loved being able to use allot of my corning ware and other pans.  (They don't fit the Cosori) The Ninja seems to give about an inch more space and that seems to make allot of difference.  I found the grill plate in the AG301 hard to keep clean so I opted to get the baking rack accessory and got a tremendous amount of use with that.  You also, need to consider it has a large footprint and since it opens from the top, you need that top clearance as well as clearance in the back when opening it up.  

I really like the dual blaze Cosori and the fact that it cooks from the top and bottom and  It takes up a much smaller space but as a result, things like doing a spatchcocked chicken is much easier to do in the Ninja than squishing it into the Cosori

Truth be told I would have no hesitation getting another AG301 but for many reviews that had the same issue as mine at around the two year mark;

The Ninja keeps asking you to close the lid before it will start and your lid is closed....No way will that machine recognize the lid is closed and thus no way to make it start no matter how many times you open and shut it again....Sensors become kaput...  So, although I really loved the machine I was hesitant to get one again with possibly built in obsolescence.

I guess another question would be how long do you expect an appliance like this to last?

• 3 months later...

So it has come to this: with the constant mentioning of air fryers here on eG and some intense discussions at home I am almost ready to purchase an air fryer. Have picked my model, got a decent price and am ready to order, but ...

Which fats can I use ? Which options do I have to use solide (animal) fats ? 

As an example: can I fry my fries in some (self-rendered) duck fat ? Can I use clarified butter for those mini veal Schnitzel I am envisioning ? Or is it "canola oil or bust" ? Any (postive) first hand experience would be much appreciated and likely lead to an immediate purchase ....

I can only speak from my personal experience, but I have used several oils when using my fryer.

You really aren't going to be cooking in oil, you would just use a small bit on the outside of the food to make it brown better. If you can make the oil into some type of spray, it works a little better. The last time that I made my fried potato wedges, I had a little Bacon fat and melted that and tossed them in about a tablespoon of that and they were delicious. I have made schnitzel in the air fryer and I drizzled them with a bit of butter and canola oil. I much preferred the ones that have been prepared in a skillet. The Taste was better and the cleanup afterwards of the air fryer wasn't worth the trouble.

The thing that I like most in the air fryer is sausages and hot dogs. The skin crisps up and there is not as much moisture loss. I think it pays for itself just in the convenience and quality in cooking these.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I use very little fat in my air fryer.  If I roast vegetables, I'll toss them in a little bit of oil first and that's it.  I like using cold pressed sunflower oil.  I will spray frozen French fries with oil, not heavily.  I don't use oil for anything else, at least not that I can think of.

• Thanks 1

Thank you both - I was under the impression that you need to “add” oil somewhere, but I take it you merely toss whatever you have in it before it goes into the gadget. That’s easy enough then (and more basic than I anticipated 😉) …

• Like 1

It's very easy. Just preheat and throw in the food. Clean up is also easy. Most of them it's just a matter of wiping out the grease. The basket type is harder to clean up because foods tends to stick to the wires and you almost have to use a brush. It's great for roasted vegetables but I don't care for it for things like chicken or pork. It's a little hard to judge doneness and it's easy to overcook them. It's also very good for reheating pizza or any kind of stuffed bread. I think of mine more as a gadget than of something for full meal preparation. For that you have to ask @Dejah, she does amazing things in hers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1